The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

[quote name="Mike.357" post="1089640" timestamp="1388941442"]where do you get them at? Unavailable around here. If it is an old bottle you better go easy with it, I am not sure you can buy them in TN any longer.[/quote] Food City at cedar bluff is where I bought the last bottle. Bought the other in Kentucky on a work trip Really? I was unaware. I have two bottles one in Knoxville and on in JC. Why would they not sell bitters anymore? Edited by Lumber_Jack

Food City at cedar bluff is where I bought the last bottle. Bought the other in Kentucky on a work trip Really? I was unaware. I have two bottles one in Knoxville and on in JC. Why would they not sell bitters anymore?

We have not had bitters in over two years, now grocer's can't sell them either.  We get customer's every day looking for them.  I think there would be a black market for them. I think restaurants and bars make their own now.

Everyone is waiting on ABC to decide if it is a food item or spirit item.

Edited by Mike.357

Good question. I'm not sure. I use the Angostura at home and it's fine for me. I've never tried any others.

Yeah bitters can be a problem. I buy Angustura from a Krogers in Bristol, VA, Peychauds from a VA ABC store, and a local TN liquor store carries a product from a company called The Bitter Truth. They have about 6 varieties. I like the orange together with the Angostura in a Vya Manhattan.

And there's always Amazon.

• Like 1
I bought some buffalo trace rye mash for new years eve. It was pretty decent, little after bite but a nice hint of "popcorn". After a few small glasses, my friends at the shindig had a bright idea of chilling it and taking shots. After 3 shots with a vanilla vodka and cranberry chaser, i got professionally ignorant

I bought some buffalo trace rye mash for new years eve. It was pretty decent, little after bite but a nice hint of "popcorn". After a few small glasses, my friends at the shindig had a bright idea of chilling it and taking shots. After 3 shots with a vanilla vodka and cranberry chaser, i got professionally ignorant

I need to try that one in a Manhattan or a Sazerac.

We have not had bitters in over two years, now grocer's can't sell them either.  We get customer's every day looking for them.  I think there would be a black market for them. I think restaurants and bars make their own now.

Everyone is waiting on ABC to decide if it is a food item or spirit item.

I'll have to check but I'm 90% sure there's Angostura Bitters at the Krogers I go to.

[quote name="xjsnake" post="1091823" timestamp="1389228647"]I'll have to check but I'm 90% sure there's Angostura Bitters at the Krogers I go to.[/quote] Yep, it's definitely in the food city near my house. Saw it yesterday. Sent from my iPad using Voodoo magic

I checked in to the Candlewood Suites in Nashville on business.  There was a bottle of bitters sitting next to the coffeemaker for guests' use.  I called the front desk and said that I wouldn't need it. 

"I'm sorry, sir," the manager replied, "but you'll have to take the bitters with the suite."

• Like 1

Next on the list is a bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas Port Wood Edition :) Out of a few staple items too...meh.

There's about one drink left in my bottle of Ledaig 10...I think I should finish it off tonight :D

It's quite evident from your posts in here and in the pipe/cigar thread that we have very similar taste. :usa:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

I find that I drink much more Islay malts in cooler weather... autumn, winter, early spring. When summer comes I tend to move toward the Speyside whiskies, local moonshine (taken neat-- none of that fruity stuff!) and the occasional bourbon.

Edited by tartanphantom