The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

So I had a glass of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at a bar last night. I was so amazed at how good this bourbon is. It's got a smooth caramel and vanilla front and a slightly bitter oaky burn on the back. I like original Woodford but this stuff was so good that I'm buying a bottle the next time I get to a liquor store. Great stuff. a3y7yme2.jpg

Woodford original has always been one of my favorites.  I had the Double Oaked this weekend and really liked it.  Going to pick me up a bottle today.

During the Preakness I finally uncorked an old bottle of 2003 Old Forester Birthday bourbon. It was so good I googled it and dang if it wasn't voted "Whiskey of the Year" by Malt Advocate that year. Now I know what whiskey will get me through the Belmont! : )

Anyone know if the more recent O.F. Birthday bourbons have held their own with their earlier releases? I did find where one taster gave the 2014 Spring a so-so rating and they were $50! Ouch!

[quote name="KahrMan" post="1154000" timestamp="1401570938"]Mmmmmm.... [url="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/C46EEDE3-8814-42EB-8937-E5FEB7680760_zpskhcdqvne.jpg.html"]C46EEDE3-8814-42EB-8937-E5FEB7680760_zps[/url][/quote] Two of my favorites. Woodford is my go-to. Tonight I'm enjoying some ... sehatyma.jpg

• Like 1
[quote name="npgunner" post="1154173" timestamp="1401596035"]Also is that a Red Wine and Spirits sticker from Bellvue? I've been there once and enjoyed the selection.[/quote] Yes it is. That particular Blanton's was bottled just for Red's.

do you collect the Blanton's toppers?

I do not.  This is my first bottle of Blantons.  Did not realize that there were different toppers.  I do like the stopper.  That would be a cool thing to collect.  I will have to start paying attention to the different toppers.

[quote name="KahrMan" post="1154277" timestamp="1401644063"]I do not. This is my first bottle of Blantons. Did not realize that there were different toppers. I do like the stopper. That would be a cool thing to collect. I will have to start paying attention to the different toppers.[/quote] Each stopped will have a letter on it, and the collection spells Blanton. The 8th stopper is just a horse. You can buy displays from the distiller (or build your own). Here's one option ... ejepupab.jpg

• Like 1

[quote name="npgunner" post="1154489" timestamp="1401677383"]Each stopper will have a letter on it, and the collection spells Blanton. The 8th stopper is just a horse. You can buy displays from the distiller (or build your own). Here's one option ... ejepupab.jpg[/quote]

I do not.  This is my first bottle of Blantons.  Did not realize that there were different toppers.  I do like the stopper.  That would be a cool thing to collect.  I will have to start paying attention to the different toppers.

In addition to spelling out the name the jockey is positioned on the horse to replicate his riding position as he circles the track

[quote name="Mike.357" post="1154598" timestamp="1401720327"]In addition to spelling out the name the jockey is positioned on the horse to replicate his riding position as he circles the track[/quote]huh. I had never noticed that. Does that mean there are two different N's I need to be on the lookout for?

huh. I had never noticed that. Does that mean there are two different N's I need to be on the lookout for?

I just looked it up and there are two different N's.  I have an L so I need quite a few more.  

Anyone besides me tried the Brenne French Single Malt? It's the smoothest whiskey my taste buds have ever experienced, has a slight banana note to it. I usually do a few rocks and a splash with scotch or bourbon, just a teaspoon of water in this will make it bloom, but really fine just neat also.

water really does open up flavor's in spirits, whiskys in particular.

If you ever hear the expression "branch water" it means water taken from the same source that was used in making the whisky.  So each distillery has its own branch water.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a couple new ones today. Orphan Barrel Barterhouse and a store select barrel proof single barrel OESO Four Roses. bu3u8y2y.jpg Had a chance to pick up the Orphan Barrel Old Blowhard, but passed. Thinking I may have made a mistake. Anyone had a sample of this? umeby2ur.jpg

Edited by npgunner
  • 1 month later...

I purchased a bottle of Elmer T Lee tonight.  It retails for about 32 bucks.  Elmer passed away and this spirit was absent from our shelves since before Christmas.

If you like light, sweet and soft bourbon I can't recommend it enough.  No burn,  great sour mash flavor and extremely soft.  Extremely.  It makes Woodford seem like Old Granddad.

Unfortunately Elmer passed and the recipe was in one place only.  His head.  I have been told that Master Distiller's are trying to reverse engineer his recipe, Good luck with that.  I suppose they have several years worth of product still aging.  No one but Elmer will know for sure.

Buy it if you see it.  Probably lost for the ages now. 

• Like 1

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 yr several months ago but only recently opened it.  It's really good.  Nice and smooth without much bite.  Not as much burn as I expected for 94 proof either.  Moderately priced... I think I got it on sale for about $32.    :up:

elijah-craig-kentucky-straight-bourbon-w