JM stamped Marlin or new Henry

GoM_Coaster

Hi all! Glad I found this place, what a great resource. I am buying a lever gun and am looking at new old stock JM stamped 336 or the new Henry with the side gate. This will be used to hunt in Texas brush, so a working field gun for deer and hogs.

I can save a couple hundred bucks with the Marlin and I am asking those of you with practical experience to share which way you would lean and why.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to the replies!

54 minutes ago, GoM_Coaster said:

Hi all! Glad I found this place, what a great resource. I am buying a lever gun and am looking at new old stock JM stamped 336 or the new Henry with the side gate. This will be used to hunt in Texas brush, so a working field gun for deer and hogs.

I can save a couple hundred bucks with the Marlin and I am asking those of you with practical experience to share which way you would lean and why.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to the replies!

Welcome to TGO. Youre right,it is 🙂

Im partial to the old Marlin as thats what I "cut my teeth" on. But Henry's are no slouch. If the money was close enough id choose Marlin because JM guns ain't coming back. But if someone is charging new prices for a used field model then I'd go get a new Henry. Might as well break a new one in like you want it.

I'd go with the Marlin also. Besides, I have a weird problem with Henry. We all know they are made in Yonkers New York. That 16th District is run by anti 2nd Liberal Democrats (all 4 reps) since its nothing more than a NYC suburb in Westchester county.  The ONLY way they stay in business in that location is by paying into the DNC cash flow machine. Thats the same machine that has gutted the 2nd in the rest of the state. I hate to go politics on this simple question but thats how I see it.

Now if they followed Beretta's lead, Yeah go for that Henry.

Edited by xtriggerman
14 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

I'd go with the Marlin also. Besides, I have a weird problem with Henry. We all know they are made in Yonkers New York. That 16th District is run by anti 2nd Liberal Democrats (all 4 reps) since its nothing more than a NYC suburb in Westchester county.  The ONLY way they stay in business in that location is by paying into the DNC cash flow machine. Thats the same machine that has gutted the 2nd in the rest of the state. I hate to go politics on this simple question but thats how I see it.

Now if they followed Beretta's lead, Yeah go for that Henry.

Henry is based in New Jersey.  

I have a 1973 JM 336, beautiful gun and one I have always wanted/will never part with. I like the Henry but the Marlin is better looking to me. 

For a Texas hog gun I would want something bigger than 30-30 though. And for a brush gun, a short barrel.

3 hours ago, Ropin4gold said:

Get the marlin. And I’m telling you with 100% certainty the 30-30 is a stone cold killer of hogs. I use a 160grn ftx bullet and it has NEVER failed to deliver. 

I have to trust you on this. I'd still want bigger bullet and shorter barrel. Just my weak opinion and excuse to give my wife for buying a new $1500 Marlin.
"but honey. Ropin4gold invited me to hunt wild hogs in Texas. You don't want me killed by a wild hog do you?"

I owned three Henrys and never had an issue with any. Also owned three JM's built during the 2000-2007 time frame. Sold every one of the JM's as they were not very accurate and jammed on a regular basis.

Have since bought three of the "Remlins" produced in the last 2 years or so. All have been solid rifles with excellent fit and finish.

If I were going for a 30/30, I’d buy the Henry over the Marlin. If I were looking at a pistol caliber, I highly recommend you checkout a Rossi M92. They are lighter than the Henry and the Marlin and almost half the cost and just as accurate.