Anyone into felt hats?

This is a 1972 American Hat Company Larry Mahan series pencil roll Beaver felt grizzly.  Larry Mahan was a multi-year world champion rodeo rider. This hat has been through a lot of really good times and bad while on my head over the years.  The hat band is a girls macramé belt that I found in the bed of my F100 one morning after a particularly eventful night. I didn't know the girls, by name, so I couldn't return it.  As a hat band it prompts fond memories.  I found that the pencil roll tended to hold too much water so I cut it off after a few years and shaped the edge with steam and a spoon.  The crown has been steamed and shaped in many forms over the years, this is current.  Considering all the beer, blood (multi-species), sweat, brown liquor, pee (multi-species), gas, oil, etc. that this hat has been exposed to I don't know whether it is now considered an independent ecosystem or a bio-hazard.  The silk liner gave it up many years ago as did the leather sweat band.  I have other hats that are perhaps more socially acceptable but this is "The Grizz". I guess it is to me what a blanky is to a kid.

Hat 1.JPG

hat 2.JPG

• Like 3

Used ta wear brimmed hats all the time.. Mostly good straws, but I've got several Akubras.  The Akubras are probably the best bang for the buck in a " real " felt hat.. period...  Big brim ta little, I love em all. 

Since I've gotten older, I dont wear the felts much.  Just too lazy ta keep up with em, unless the weather is really bad.  Got the " real panama fedora " bug ALA Brother " Pappy O'Daniel ".  The real panamas are the " real thing " for summer wear if they are well  vented..   I like them alot.  

Dapper leroy...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Stetson Stratoliner everyday. I wore my last fur felt hat, a 40s vintage Bonner Pehlps until it fell apart. I bought this one in silverbelly. Reshaped the crown and brim myself, then added in a handcut grosgrain ribbon. Did all the mods to get what I wanted without spending a fortune. I wear it all day most days unless im working on something greasy that would ruin it. Screenshot_20211120-210310_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9811e2301a57c6b5e609103146af0159.jpg

• Like 1