Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I’d love to hear a comparison of this bike and the electric bike if you’d be so kind.

Sure. I've only been able to ride the gas bike a few times but I'll share my initial thoughts. I had a really hard time letting the E bike go. The Talaria felt like riding a really fast mountain bike. It's light and nimble and overall just easier to ride for an inexperienced rider like me. If I got in a jamb I could just pick it up and turn it around. It was incredibly fun. The biggest downside is that they are made in China. I was concerned about long term reliability. Range was a concern too but I could have picked up a 2nd battery. 

The Honda is 70lbs heavier. It's harder for me to load on my hitch hauler, harder to ride, and feels more like an actual motorcycle. That said, I'm sure this will get easier with time. I'm enjoying shifting gears and learning a clutch. It has better suspension than the Talaria. It is also made in China but still has Honda's reliability. It also has twice the range. Most people report getting 100 miles or more to a tank. 

If money were not a consideration I would have kept the Talaria in addition to the Honda. I hope to have another one someday. Overall, both are a lot of fun and I enjoy riding in the woods much more than pavement. 

• Like 2

Are there any high-performance riding schools in the Knoxville area? I used to live half an hour from a track (The Ridge, in Shelton, WA) and did quite a few track days and schools there. I hope that when the Cumberland County track opens I'll be able to do some track days there, but who knows when that will be?

I saw that there's a class advertised at the Pole Cat training center in Fayetteville, but I haven't had a reply after trying to contact them a couple weeks ago. 

I'm getting a bit too old and fat for a race school, but I always have benefited from the classes I've taken and would like to find another one not too far away. I was tempted to go to Birmingham for the California Superbike School, which I've taken before, but that one is pretty darned pricey.  Any suggestions?

Edited by Darrell
3 hours ago, Darrell said:

Are there any high-performance riding schools in the Knoxville area? I used to live half an hour from a track (The Ridge, in Shelton, WA) and did quite a few track days and schools there. I hope that when the Cumberland County track opens I'll be able to do some track days there, but who knows when that will be?

I saw that there's a class advertised at the Pole Cat training center in Fayetteville, but I haven't had a reply after trying to contact them a couple weeks ago. 

I'm getting a bit too old and fat for a race school, but I always have benefited from the classes I've taken and would like to find another one not too far away. I was tempted to go to Birmingham for the California Superbike School, which I've taken before, but that one is pretty darned pricey.  Any suggestions?

VIR, Road Atlanta, or Barber are the closest options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Darrell said:

Sportbike Track Time still does the events at Nashville Superspeedway although it looks like only one this year (a couple weeks ago). They also have lots of events at the Talladega Grand Prix. CMP is also and option, Carolina Motorsports Park, near Kershaw, SC. 

Fast Line Track Days does events at NCM Motorsports Park in Bowling Green KY. In fact they have and event there this weekend.
Looks like Midwest Track Day used to as well but they may have closed up shop now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had great time on the Honda today. The single track trails at Windrock are great. 

I have a question. Is there a trick to kick starting this thing? The electric start works fine but it won't kick start. I tried it in both 1st gear and neutral. Clutch in. 

IMG_20230625_104611416.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I had great time on the Honda today. The single track trails at Windrock are great. 

I have a question. Is there a trick to kick starting this thing? The electric start works fine but it won't kick start. I tried it in both 1st gear and neutral. Clutch in. 

IMG_20230625_104611416.jpg

I've never been good at kick starting bikes.  Push it slowly around until you feel a lot of resistance. That should be on the power stroke. Then kick it as hard as you can. I'd also definitely be in neutral.  It can get away really fast. 

I also didn't know there was much single track up there. That would be nice to stay away from the ATVs and SxSs.  

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

I always started them with the piston at top-dead-center (TDC) when the engine is at the point on the crankshaft where the piston is at the top of the stroke. There'll be less compression making it easier to spin the engine over fast. That offers the best chance of starting it the first time you kick it over. 

To Find TDC when kicking your bike over, just go until you feel the most resistance then just slowly push the kick-starter just enough to get it past that strong resistance. No choke when hot, choke when cold, no throttle until it's running.

Edited by BigK
2 hours ago, peejman said:

Push it slowly around until you feel a lot of resistance. That should be on the power stroke. Then kick it as hard as you can. I'd also definitely be in neutral.  It can get away really fast. 

When I try in neutral there is no resistance at all. Feels like it has to be in gear to work. Much more resistance while in gear but engine doesn't fire. 

2 hours ago, peejman said:

I also didn't know there was much single track up there

There is a lot and it's not on the map. We rode for hours today and barely scratched the surface. Happy to send you the coordinates of you want. 

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You mean you can’t get it to fire, or is there something mechanically wrong so that the kickstarter won’t turn the engine over?

Not sure. I kick and nothing happens. The friend I ride with couldn't make sense of it either. 

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

What does the manual say?

Stop being so logical 😆

I'll have to check and see what it says.

So the owners manual didn't offer much help but I got it to kick start in neutral with no clutch. Very odd. It started on the second kick.  The only thing the manual mentions is that if it doesn't start you can try giving it a little throttle while kicking. 

@BigK, there is no choke on this bike. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking that your clutch may be dragging just a bit, or maybe you're not pulling the clutch all the way in when you try to kick it over in-gear. I kick start my bikes in neutral, although I would do it in-gear if there was some good reason.

My GasGas trials bike takes a little ritual to start when it's cold. Gas on- full choke, kick it over three or four times. Choke off, throttle open, kick it over two or three times to clear the cylinder. Choke on, throttle closed, starts on the first or second kick. It helps if I'm wearing a green t-shirt and face to the east.

• Haha 1

One thing about it, guys. If you’re riding a decent looking bike, everywhere you stop, somebody wants to have a conversation with you. I’m not a big people person, but usually enjoy these interactions.

My kids were impressed to learn that if you’re on a bike, there are a bunch of folks out there on the road looking out for you. That is pretty cool. I usually try and stop if it looks like a biker is having trouble. It seems I am not alone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 6:25 PM, gregintenn said:

If you’re riding a decent looking bike, everywhere you stop, somebody wants to have a conversation with you.

I took my 1989 RD350 to Lake Tansi to play racquetball today. When I stopped to get gas an old guy (about my age!) stopped to chat about the bike. Most people don't know what it is, but he did and we had a nice conversation about two-stroke street bikes. He also offered to sell me a Harley V-Rod, which is tempting, but my garage is too full already.

Naturally I found something to fix. The bike has oil injection, and the hose from the oil tank is leaking a bit. Always something!

IMG_1352.JPG

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Darrell said:

I took my 1989 RD350 to Lake Tansi to play racquetball today. When I stopped to get gas an old guy (about my age!) stopped to chat about the bike. Most people don't know what it is, but he did and we had a nice conversation about two-stroke street bikes. He also offered to sell me a Harley V-Rod, which is tempting, but my garage is too full already.

Naturally I found something to fix. The bike has oil injection, and the hose from the oil tank is leaking a bit. Always something!

IMG_1352.JPG

Oh man, I bet that’s fun!

• Like 1

My wife got a Vespa last year, so she could join my grandson and I on motorcycle rides. I liked her scooter so much I got me one too. I ride it most of the time now, but my grandson loves the Super Tenere better. He finally nagged me to get out on the big bike this weekend. You can tell by his big grin that he had fun.

20231104_154418.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, BigK said:

My wife got a Vespa last year, so she could join my grandson and I on motorcycle rides. I liked her scooter so much I got me one too. I ride it most of the time now, but my grandson loves the Super Tenere better. He finally nagged me to get out on the big bike this weekend. You can tell by his big grin that he had fun.

20231104_154418.jpg

If he goes along regularly, probably should get him a helmet that fits. That one is way too big. 

• Like 1