HB-768 AMENDMENT 007494 *Red Flag*

From what I read this depends a great deal upon the pharmacist.  Once the med is prescribed, required forms must be signed in order for the patient to get prescribed meds.  Then the Pharmacist must report to TBI who in turn shuts off the ability for the patient to purchase.  This prohibition remains in effect until the pharmacist again files necessary report to release the prohibition.  This is unwanted/unnecessary requirements placed on the pharmacists.  I see them conforming in order to sell the prescriptions.  I see no motivation, requirement or penalty in place in the event the pharmacists do not follow through with the release documentation thus allowing the patient to once again purchase firearms. I see once you are on the no buy list, you will stay on the no buy list. I agree with the above, some people who could benefit from these medications will refuse treatment.

• Like 1

And for some people, taking the meds is what makes them easy going, "regular" people, who are perfectly capable of owning and possessing a gun. In some cases, someone might just not take the meds anymore so they can own guns, which could result in their becoming unstable and doing something rash. Thereby, this law would cause the exact thing they think it will prevent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone actually think that this will prevent someone from doing something that's already illegal. Our Liberty is systematically disappearing. Our private medical records will also be on a data base that's accessible by groups of people that have no business whatsoever with it. Outrageous

Edited by Sunfish
grammer
  • Like 3

I am confused, do these drugs cause the reaction to do harm if you stop taking them?

Or cause the reaction to do harm when you take them?

Ether way if these drugs cause the reaction then why are the drugs being sold? Something is wrong with how we are trying to take care of these people.

About 10 or 15 years ago I told my doc I was trying to quit smoking and asked him about some latest/greatest stop-smoking pill. He asked me to try a more established drug, I filled the Rx and when I got home my wife asked why my GP doc had subscribed me Wellbutrin which is actually an anti-depressant. If this law were in effect, asking my doc for help to stopping smoking might inadvertently cost me my 2A rights. This law is nucking futs.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, BigK said:

About 10 or 15 years ago I told my doc I was trying to quit smoking and asked him about some latest/greatest stop-smoking pill. He asked me to try a more established drug, I filled the Rx and when I got home my wife asked why my GP doc had subscribed me Wellbutrin which is actually an anti-depressant. If this law were in effect, asking my doc for help to stopping smoking might inadvertently cost me my 2A rights. This law is nucking futs.

Have a buddy that tried to quit smoking during desert storm. They gave him a little pill  for it. A few days later he was taking to some guys and told them he'd see them after he went and shot the CO. He said it seem completely normal at the time. He was locked up for 3 days to let the drug clear his system and told to never take that again. 

• Wow 2

When I asked my Doc about the stop smoking drugs, she said , and I quote ””Hell no”””. She is one of the kind of Docs that will come by the house if needed.

• Confused 1

Not mine, but thought it was a good post.

Scene fades in at gun store....

Woman: I never thought I’d need to buy a gun, but after my ex started threatening me and the kids…I’ve got to be able to protect us.

Clerk: I understand, just fill out this form and I’ll run your background check and get you signed up for our training class.

Woman: Thank you, here you go.

Clerk: Ma’am, did you mean to check yes next to this medication?

Woman: Yeah, its just to help with anxiety after these threats started.

Clerk: I’m sorry, but under the new Red Flag Law you can’t buy a gun if you take these medications.

Woman:(Panicking) But he said he is going to kill us…what do I do?

Clerk: I’m sorry, I wish I could help…

Narrator:  Red Flag laws have serious consequences, call your legislators today and tell them not to take our Rights…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

I don’t want people committing mass homicide, but this wrong. The bill stigmatizes medications prescribed to stabilize and the people who take them.  Prescriptions will go unfilled.  

Citalopram

Antidepressant known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It's often used to treat low mood (depression) and also sometimes for panic attacks. It helps many people recover from depression, and has fewer side effects than older antidepressants.

Fluvoxamine

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
It can treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

Paroxetine
Common brands: Paxil, Pexeva, Paxil CR

It can treat depression, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Fluoxetine
Common brands: Prozac Weekly, Sarafem, Prozac

It can treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), bulimia nervosa, and panic disorder.

Sertraline
Common brands: Zoloft

It can treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder.

Venlafaxine
Common brands: Effexor XR

Antidepressant and Nerve pain medication
It can treat depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder.

Mirtazapine
Common brands: Remeronsoltab, Remeron

Antidepressant. It can treat depression.

Nefazodone
Medication

Antidepressant. It can treat depression.

Bupropion
Common brands: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin

Antidepressant and Smoking cessation aid. It can treat depression and help people quit smoking. It can also prevent depression caused by seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

Escitalopram
Common brands: Lexapro

It can treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).

• 4 weeks later...

The response I got from my rep (Robert Stevens) about this made it clear where he stands and I think he actually understands the "real" problem:

I am not planning to vote for any "red flag" laws or the governor's proposal.  The Second Amendment is pretty clear, and the Supreme Court recently solidified that clarity in two court cases: Heller and Bruen.  I believe we need to be more focused on how to help people with mental health matters.