Active shooter situation in Maine at this Time!!!

The Legion

I also don’t think that it is odd that mass shootings happen with “assault type weapons“. Their design is for rapid shooting and increased damage. Why would somebody choose to do a mass shooting with a lever gun, or a bolt action gun. Bad people want to do bad things to as many people as they can and “assault type weapons“ make that easier. it’s not the weapon’s fault other than that is what they were designed to do.

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I also don’t think that it is odd that mass shootings happen with “assault type weapons“. Their design is for rapid shooting and increased damage. Why would somebody choose to do a mass shooting with a lever gun, or a bolt action gun. Bad people want to do bad things to as many people as they can and “assault type weapons“ make that easier. it’s not the weapon’s fault other than that is what they were designed to do.

I was just in close proximity to a bunch of people with NASA Wednesday. They were having a super in Huntsville, Alabama.  I was only challenged once by security and my Wife was able to direct NASA personal without question. It's really not that hard. She's not even in the game and people deferred to her. They were talking about stuff they shouldn't have been at the bar next door and said as much. It was ridiculous. I got to the motel at midnight and found out about the shooting.  You have soft targets and you have soft targets. One day someone that's not crazy will do it and a gun is not the most effective way.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

A handgun was the weapon of choice for many years, and really, it still is. The media has brought the AR 15 into the spotlight.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

A handgun was the weapon of choice for many years, and really, it still is. The media has brought the AR 15 into the spotlight.

Single incident body counts have brought the AR and similar firearms into the spotlight.

Edited by Garufa
5 hours ago, Snaveba said:

In the same scenario, a skilled F-class shooter with a hot rod bolt action could have killed more people than Paddock did in Las Vegas.  I fear we still haven’t seen (fortunately) the havoc that a truly talented shooter is capable of wreaking.  

If anyone is interested in the reporting from a non MSM type that has provided details and more than speculation this a decent source. Followed this guy via proxy as he was connected to a local sports media guy I listened to for years. 

Disclosure: conservative, thought it was done in a way that was fact based for most of it while mentioning local gun laws and local politics of Maine. 

https://www.themainewire.com

Edited by Scotty
13 hours ago, deerslayer said:

In the same scenario, a skilled F-class shooter with a hot rod bolt action could have killed more people than Paddock did in Las Vegas.  I fear we still haven’t seen (fortunately) the havoc that a truly talented shooter is capable of wreaking.  

Do you remember the Beltway Snipers in 2002? That was a pretty darn scary scenario and they were only using an AR-15. 

1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

I bet the lawsuits are coming. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised (in this day and age) if someone from the shooters side didn't sue because 'he might not have done it if they protected him from himself".

I'm rarely in favor of this, but I think everyone in authority who decided to let him go w/out taking steps probably share some level of responsibility for his actions. If there was a mechanism to link his crazy to his ownership/purchase of guns and it was not utilized, I think there should be some consequences.

5 minutes ago, BigK said:

I'm rarely in favor of this, but I think everyone in authority who decided to let him go w/out taking steps probably share some level of responsibility for his actions. If there was a mechanism to link his crazy to his ownership/purchase of guns and it was not utilized, I think there should be some consequences.

I agree in theory, but it would be a difficult task to prove what they knew at the time. HIPPA would make it damn near impossible.

• Like 2
Just now, gregintenn said:

I agree in theory, but it would be a difficult task to prove what they knew at the time. HIPPA would make it damn near impossible.

Exactly! This fella was clearly several sammiches short of a picnic and no action was taken. The mental health system has to be held responsible when known crazies so stuff like Card did or what good is a law saying nuts can't have guns?

If this part gets fixed, we'd have less certified whackos with guns. Then some form of a red flag law might actually help keep the crazies who won't get mental health from killing people if we give them due process BEFORE we take their guns.

3 hours ago, BigK said:

I'm not for taking away people's due process either. A spiteful ex or a disgruntled neighbor red flagging you is WAY different than a guy who hears voices and wants to murder. He LITERALLY stated it. Whoever let this guy just walk is probably going to get hit with the lawsuit truck HARD. Plus their employer, their employer. Heck, everyone.

• Like 1

Thoughts and prayers for all touched by this evil.

I hope we eventually get more coherent details on the timeline and those involved as it relates to his obvious mental health issues.

In digging around on this it looks like his mental health contact was through the DOD (in his Reserve capacity). I have no idea how the systems currently work, but communication broke down seriously someplace.

I thought the way Maine's Yellow Flag law worked was that LEO had to be informed and they were responsible for initiating a mental health eval, protecting an individual for the the previously mentioned disgruntled neighbor or vindictive spouse/EX.

It's a mess nonetheless.

AND has anyone found where Card gained credential as a Firearm's Instructor? This was mentioned several times initially then seemed to dwindle away... I could find nothing on it.

Stars & Stripes publication had, al least, some coherent backstory initially.