10/22 build suggestions

10-Ring

My 3 year old will likely never need to purchase a gun of his own. He really enjoys shooting his Cricket and I expect that he will grow into the hobby. He has already been gifted 2 10/22s, so I'm thinking that it may be fun to build one up for him. Blackhawk makes an adjustable stock that I will probably get so he doesn't have to grow into something bigger. So I suppose what I'm looking for is what have you done with your 10/22 that you really like? As I've alluded, I'm not worried about doing something that will limit the usefulness of the rifle as I have a .22 rifle for pretty much all occasions. 

• Love 1

I've tried and enjoyed these. BTW these are all the same 10/22.

1. Blackhawk Axiom stock. Lightweight and was great when my kids were small and growing. Ruger1022Blackhawk823-45072(2).thumb.jpg.a2d481f2dc6d0fe598e01655a7dd53ad.jpg

2. Magpul X-22 stock. Great stock. A little heavy but solid and adjustable lop.

Ruger1022Magpul823-45072(1).thumb.jpg.f6a00a0159c9267e338f0952eab4135a.jpg

3. Desert Tech Trek-22 bullpup. This is my current stock and I love it. 

Ruger1022Trek22823-45027(1a).thumb.jpg.6b7bab81dd95e9c753f023b318dac58c.jpg

• Like 4

Well, heres mine

Green Mtn 18.5" fluted stainless barrel

Power Custom adjustable trigger

Nordic Components receiver, which uses real AR hardware

I have a 75yd range in the backyard, and this thing will shoot 1 ragged hole if I do my part

Well dang, my photo is too big I guess

2 hours ago, Tom B said:

Well, heres mine

Green Mtn 18.5" fluted stainless barrel

Power Custom adjustable trigger

Nordic Components receiver, which uses real AR hardware

I have a 75yd range in the backyard, and this thing will shoot 1 ragged hole if I do my part

Well dang, my photo is too big I guess

What brand ammo are you shooting?

9 hours ago, jeff43 said:

What brand ammo are you shooting?

Funny you ask. I would always buy whatever was on sale at the gun store when I went, so I had a mish mash of all different kinds of .22 ammo. But since each gun has a preference, it was hard to remember what ammo shot well in what gun. So 2 years ago I sold all my .22 ammo, and bought a case of Federal Auto Match.

• Like 1

Ordered the Blackhawk Axiom stock last night. Going to order a picatinny rail so I can mount a red dot. (Already have the red dot on another rifle). Also already have a bipod. That should get him in good shape Christmas morning! From there we can build it together as he grows and he will have one customized 10/22, and one stock one. I will certainly be looking into threaded barrels in the future as I'm wanting a suppressor and we shoot in the backyard. 

Just a note on the rifles. Both of the 10/22s were given to him by his grandfathers. The one my dad gave him is wood stocked and like new. Dad wanted to buy me a 22 for my 15th birthday (and I really wanted one). I really wanted a Browning BL22 like his, but it was more than he wanted to spend. While shopping, dad saw the Ruger which was $50 more than he planned to spend on me and told me that if I would pay the difference he would give me his Browning and he would buy the Ruger. So I gave him the $50, still have the Browning, and always will, until I pass it down. My wife's dad bought the other one about 10 years ago. It has a stainless barrel and a plastic stock. It lived in the trunk of his car rolling around with God knows what, or sat outside on his back porch.  I don't think that rifle knows what Hoppes #9 smells like, and likely has never seen a drop of oil. It may be a lot newer, but it's rough. I'll build that one and keep the clean wood stocked one as is. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

A less expensive but good barrel is E.R.Shaw or Green Mountain. BX trigger or Kidd trigger kit.

A good stock that will fit. A decent scope. I like Bushnell's Rimfire 3-9X40 with range reticle, non-illuminated.

For range use a bipod, I use Caldwell's 6-9" pivot type and it works well for me.

Magazines, 10-15 -25 rounders make kids happy. Lots of ammo!

Edited by DWARREN123