Taurus and Rossi Revolvers

7 hours ago, TNContenderShooter said:

I've been interested in the 44 Special Rossi and Taurus revolvers from the late 80's to early 90's production, I believe the correct model number(s) for Rossi is the 720 and for Taurus 431, 441, 445 and the Taurus 455 in 45 auto.

Anyone had experience with these?

Haven't seen a 720 locally in a while . Probably buy 1 if I saw it in a snub or short barrel. I own a model 455 and 460 new in the the box. 2 very scarce models these days. 

10 hours ago, TNContenderShooter said:

I've been interested in the 44 Special Rossi and Taurus revolvers from the late 80's to early 90's production, I believe the correct model number(s) for Rossi is the 720 and for Taurus 431, 441, 445 and the Taurus 455 in 45 auto.

Anyone had experience with these?

Not yet, But a Bulldog is in my future.

Odd bit of trivia, a .44 special Bulldog was used by Son of Sam. Also, you can see the bullets from the wrong end.

Edited by papa61
11 hours ago, papa61 said:

Not yet, But a Bulldog is in my future.

Odd bit of trivia, a .44 special Bulldog was used by Son of Sam. Also, you can see the bullets from the wrong end.

I assume you're talking about a Charter Arms Bulldog?

iirc that's the handgun used by David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam killer.

Back in the late 80's-early 90's I had and carried a Charter .44 spl Bulldog Pug. Horrible Trigger but remarkably shootable lightweight gun. It was inexpensive and I was broke, so there's that.

I "shot it to death" in around 2000 rounds, but over several years. More modern manufacturing and metallurgy should yield a more durable revolver in essentially the same size package.

I still have the gun and it's parts in a ziplock bag, Might try and get it running again...but might not 😉 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I assume you're talking about a Charter Arms Bulldog?

iirc that's the handgun used by David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam killer.

Back in the late 80's-early 90's I had and carried a Charter .44 spl Bulldog Pug. Horrible Trigger but remarkably shootable lightweight gun. It was inexpensive and I was broke, so there's that.

I "shot it to death" in around 2000 rounds, but over several years. More modern manufacturing and metallurgy should yield a more durable revolver in essentially the same size package.

I still have the gun and it's parts in a ziplock bag, Might try and get it running again...but might not 😉 

Yes the Charter Arms Bulldog. I have read that they had improved even before the Taurus merger. I would want a PUG and might even go for the 357 version.

• 4 weeks later...

All of the Taurus and Rossi revolvers I've owned have been fully functional and reliable except one 

It was a tracker 44 magnum

Good for shaving lead 

I've had a few model 85s with many hundreds of rounds fired 

Seem to be reliable beyond their $200 price 

Few 357 variants 

Most memorable was a 44 magnum snubby Rossi used to sell

Was about like taking an aluminum bat full swing to the palm but went bang every time😁 

• Haha 1

I have 3 Taurus 7 shot revolvers, one I gave to a daughter years ago. Two of them are my EDC carry's. Have had no problems with any of my Taurus revolvers and I have several thousands of rounds thru the 3. Bet my welfare on one of them. These 3 were made in the last 10/12 years.

• Like 1

Blending my personal experience with the 'better' brands and only what I have read of newer Taurus, I find myself looking at Taurus for my next 44.

S&W earned their reputation. But there is a reason why so many here will only buy older ones. Their current product is also hit and miss from the recent purchases. More miss than hit. You cant debate when you get a good on they are nice. 

Colt has yet to solve their QC issues unfortunately. However they now have great customer service and stand behind their product. Something that Smith either no longer does or is hit and miss in that department as well.

Hopefully luck of the draw is on my side with the Taurus.

• Like 2
On 1/5/2024 at 7:39 AM, spdfrk70 said:

All of the Taurus and Rossi revolvers I've owned have been fully functional and reliable except one 

It was a tracker 44 magnum

Good for shaving lead 

I've had a few model 85s with many hundreds of rounds fired 

Seem to be reliable beyond their $200 price 

Few 357 variants 

Most memorable was a 44 magnum snubby Rossi used to sell

Was about like taking an aluminum bat full swing to the palm but went bang every time😁 

This reminds me I missed one, A 650 357 mag. Baseball bat to the palm is a very good analogy. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Taurus announced the 605 now available in executive grade
.327 Defender
aaand (drum roll please) the Deputy Single action in .45 Colt and .357 magnum

how hard is my choice in next revolver NOW!!

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, papa61 said:

Taurus announced the 605 now available in executive grade
.327 Defender
aaand (drum roll please) the Deputy Single action in .45 Colt and .357 magnum

how hard is my choice in next revolver NOW!!

This is serious, been considering a 605 as companion to my 608. With better trigger ???
I have been thinking of a .327 for the wife, with light loads she might even like it
I do not have a single action nor a 45 colt. I have the dies but not pistol, always checking out Ruger's Vaquero 🙂
being a cheapskate, the Taurus might be better since it's just a fun gun. only SA I've ever had was a Ruger single six.

which brings me back around to the 327, Always liked the Single Seven in 327 but never got my hands on one, now they are ridiculously expensive. DAMMITALL! that means TWO guns instead of one, oh woe is me LMAO

25 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I'm pretty intrigued by the. 327 Toro. 

I have a .327 LCR and as I handload I can actually afford to shoot it. 

Not. 327 Mags,  but 32 S&W long and 32 H&R Mags. 

Having RDS capabilities is a plus with my aging eyes. 

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/small-frame-revolvers/taurus-327/taurus-327-defender-toro

yeah, I'm not set up to reload 32 though I need to be. But 32S&W long with light loads is what I think would be good for the wife. I am in the same boat vision wise but I just cannot handle the look of optics on a pistol. I do have one on my AR pistol, but it serves a different mission. All that and I just like the 327 mag, good bullistics with the 327 and softer shooting with the S&W long.

Still want a Single Seven,,,I can dream.

• Like 1

The .32 S&W longs in my steel framed LCR are remarkably soft recoiling @papa61.

I loaded up some .32 H&R mags with Bullseye for this afternoon's shooting. It's another very controllable and nice shooting loaded. Both have less subjective recoil than .38 spl and I shoot my .38 LCR at least once a week.

I've never fired a .327 mag in any gun, so I can't speak to that.

I wouldn't hesitate carrying the .32 LCR for SD. 6 easily controllable and accurate rounds in such as small package (both the LCR and Taurus .327) has something going for it.

I have RDS on my G17 & G19 as well as my Taurus TX22 Compact. I like them.

I've not shot a RDS equipped revolver but I used to hunt whitetail with a scoped 629, so the general concept is there.

It would be a belt/holstered gun for sure. Looking forward to the opportunity to try one out.

• Like 1

Has anyone looked at the Charter Arms Professional in .32 H&R? It's a 7 shot revolver with a 3" barrel length. There's a lot of interested being generated right now, with a Lipsey's exclusive release of the S&W 432/632 in .32 H&R next month.  That got me on hunt for an alternative and then I found the Charter Arms Professional at Bud's. 

Charter Arms Professional IV 32 H&R Magnum Revolver | 73230 | Stainless/Silver, 3" Barrel, 7 Rounds, Wood Grips, 3-Dot Sights - Buds Gun Shop

• Like 1

That's intriguing @Moped. I hadn't even considered Charter Arms.

I've been following recent .32 developments and shooting my LCR with .32 S&W longs and .32 H&R mags (handloads) and can really appreciate where it looks like the industry/community is heading with this.

I'd like the opportunity to try one of these (rental?) so I'll keep an eye open.

Looking forward to folks experiences and thoughts on these.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Stopped at Specialty Arms in LaVergne today. They have two of the 327 Toros in stock. I still like this. Have a bid in on GB so not buying today but they are nice.

And they were broken into again. I remember three break ins so I asked. The number was six. The customer entrance and the gates were boarded up, new posts set in the parking lot to one side of the concrete (not sure what to call them, bigger than ballards, slightly smaller than a VW).

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
9 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

That's intriguing @Moped. I hadn't even considered Charter Arms.

I've been following recent .32 developments and shooting my LCR with .32 S&W longs and .32 H&R mags (handloads) and can really appreciate where it looks like the industry/community is heading with this.

I'd like the opportunity to try one of these (rental?) so I'll keep an eye open.

Looking forward to folks experiences and thoughts on these.

Thanks!

If you find rental, let me know. I’d like to try it. That Taurus 327 TORO looks good too. Just haven’t found one to look at.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

If you find rental, let me know. I’d like to try it. That Taurus 327 TORO looks good too. Just haven’t found one to look at.

Certainly will.

Yeah, I'm interested in both as well. Several features I like and at a reasonable price.

• Like 1