"What if" Fail to fire in self defense situation

I just wanted to get feedback for a "very weird" question. Let's say I am in a public place and am forced to defend myself or others from a bad guy who could kill myself or others. I draw my weapon and fire and nothing happens. I have read on some sites that if one has a round that fails to fire, (my gun is a semi-automatic) they should "tap" the magazine, re-rack the slide, and fire again. I am wondering that if that round that I just ejected happens to be a "hang-fire" round that if some point will probably fire and could possilbly hit an innocent person because it is just laying on the ground in God knows which direction, considering I am concentrated on stopping the threat, could the liablity ultimately be placed on the manufacturer? I know that my first prority is to be concentrated on stopping the threat. I am very sure that the BG will NOT give me up to 30 seconds to see if the round will fire (lol). However, I also know that every bullet that leaves my gun is my responsiblity and that "every bullet that leaves my gun has a lawyer attached to it". However, if the round that failed to fire initially due to let's say a hang-fire, would that responsibility still lie with me since I didn't manufacture the ammunition? I know this question is WAY out there in "left field" but at the same time, I would hate to feel responsible for someone else's "defect" in which I had no control over. Once agan, a very silly question but it seems I have the worst of luck sometimes and just wanted to know if I would have any other recourse for such an unintentional and uncontrollable malfunction. BTW, I keep my gun cleaned and carry 155 gr. Speer Gold Dots for personal protection which seem to get good reviews.;)

Edited by lock n' load
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the first move I mad. Tap, rack, hopefully bang. Your question on the "hang fire" is way out there. But a bullet thay fires out of battery dosent "shoot" it basically blows the case up because there is nothing to support the sides of the case. The bullet cant carry much velocity this way. Shoot good ammo and dont worry about it. :D

If the round did go off, the projectile will not go anywhere. The round will give at the weakest point which is the casing. There would be some schratnal.

Actually, the case will seperate and go one way (or many different ways if it explodes and creats shrapnel) and the bullet will go the other way. There may not be much velocity behind the bullet but it would have the possibility of hitting someone or some thing. (Kinda like hitting a .22lr round with a BB gun....of which I stupidly did as a kid)

Your liability issues would be the same no matter what happened. Once your pistol is out of it's holster, you are assuming a deadly threat is upon you......ANYTHING you do after you pull your pistol, is all on you. If your gun explodes and the slide hits some old lady in the face, you are now responsible for any harm that comes upon her. Remember, if the old lady happens to get shot and die because you pulled out your weapon to defend her, you are now liable and more than likley headed for a civil suit for her death........

Bottom line, you pull your weapon in self defense.....you are responsible for almost everything that can/could go wrong. One reason people who carry legally should be bonded for the highest ammount they can afford to pay in premiums.

Edited by kwe45919
If you have a Glock as you have a advatar. Shouldnt worry too much.(looking at brighter side) anyways what gun do you carry?

That's right. You can count on a Glock to fire. Apparently even when not intended.

I figured someone had to say it.

If you have a Glock as you have a advatar. Shouldnt worry too much.(looking at brighter side) anyways what gun do you carry?

OH, yeah, that Glock will fire even with defective ammo. :(

OP, tap rack bang. To paraphrase, you pay your money and take your chances.

I carry a Glock 23. I like it for its size, simplicity and ease of maintainance. I have never had a problem with FTF's while at the range. When I pull the trigger, it goes BANG every time. I just hope that if I ever have a FTF, it will be at the range and not at the worst possbile moment. At some point, when my finances allow me to, I would like to get a .44 magnum (Colt Anaconda or S&W 629). I wouldn't buy it for CC, I would just like to have one because they are beautiful guns.

However, I also know that every bullet that leaves my gun is my responsiblity and that "every bullet that leaves my gun has a lawyer attached to it". However, if the round that failed to fire initially due to let's say a hang-fire, would that responsibility still lie with me since I didn't manufacture the ammunition?

Considering the odds of an innocent bystander being injured by a FTF round that was ejected out of of a gun during a self defense shooting are so, so, so slim, I wouldn't worry about it.

Considering the odds of an innocent bystander being injured by a FTF round that was ejected out of of a gun during a self defense shooting are so, so, so slim, I wouldn't worry about it.
+1. The odds of that happening with modern, decent quality centerfire ammunition are so incredibly remote that I don't think it's even worth considering.

Bottom line, you pull your weapon in self defense.....you are responsible for almost everything that can/could go wrong. One reason people who carry legally should be bonded for the highest ammount they can afford to pay in premiums.

You have an insurance bond that will cover your intentional act? I'd like to see that. Not being a smart ass by any means, but it has long been a held belief by many, especially here in TN, that there is no bond or insurance that will cover you in a self-defense shooting.

+1. The odds of that happening with modern, decent quality centerfire ammunition are so incredibly remote that I don't think it's even worth considering.

While remote not entirely impossible. I had a Federal HST 9mm +p squib where there was no powder in the case. This was new stuff and the last thing I would have thought would happen. Had that been in a defensive shooting scenario, I would have probably ended up with a blown up gun and hand etc damage.

That being said it is just one of the possible "what ifs" I have accepted. While remote, it could happen. Of course, I could also ricochet a bullet off of a car, the sidewalk, a stop sign, and then strike a great-grandmother of 20 sitting on her porch - but those are risk I've accepted as well. ;)

You have an insurance bond that will cover your intentional act? I'd like to see that. Not being a smart ass by any means, but it has long been a held belief by many, especially here in TN, that there is no bond or insurance that will cover you in a self-defense shooting.

First off, remember I said pemit holders SHOULD be bonded. I said nothing about me being bonded.....and yes you still sounded like a smart ass. No big deal though.

LICENSE BOND (FINANCIAL GUARANTEE)

This type of bond guarantees payment of a sum of money required of the Principal in connection with his line of business or actions pursuant to the license holder which has been granted to him/her by the state of Tennessee.

This is the type of bond I have. Nothing special. $500,000 worth of coverage for $137.00 a month or $1600 a year. Having good credit and owning your home give you a better % rate depending on the ammount you want to be bonded for. Much like car or home owners inurance.

In general it means if you are arrested and need to "post bond", you will pay nothing out of your pocket to a bail bondsmen. Your insurance bond takes care of the bail.

If you are eventually cleared of all charges and end up with a civil lawsuit being sued for x-ammount of money, depending on the ammount of your bond, IF you're found guilty, your insurance bond will cover the settlement to the ammount of your bond BEFORE you pay out of pocket.

To some it's worth it, to some it's not. Some will be involved in a shooting situation in thier lifetime and some will not. Some will chace it, others won't. You decide for yourself and your situation.

Edited by kwe45919
To verify that the magazine is fully seated. Watch the video above.

I can see that being useful with an AR type rifle. The closest I have to that is a M1 carbine. If that mag is not seated it falls right out to begin with.

I was reading the OP as a handgun situation and I did not understand how to tap a mag in a handgun.

While remote not entirely impossible. I had a Federal HST 9mm +p squib where there was no powder in the case. This was new stuff and the last thing I would have thought would happen. Had that been in a defensive shooting scenario, I would have probably ended up with a blown up gun and hand etc damage.

That being said it is just one of the possible "what ifs" I have accepted. While remote, it could happen. Of course, I could also ricochet a bullet off of a car, the sidewalk, a stop sign, and then strike a great-grandmother of 20 sitting on her porch - but those are risk I've accepted as well. :D

Good idea to weigh your defense ammo and inspect for high primers, smooth case necks, ect.

First off, remember I said pemit holders SHOULD be bonded. I said nothing about me being bonded.....and yes you still sounded like a smart ass. No big deal though.

LICENSE BOND (FINANCIAL GUARANTEE)

This type of bond guarantees payment of a sum of money required of the Principal in connection with his line of business or actions pursuant to the license holder which has been granted to him/her by the state of Tennessee.

This is the type of bond I have. Nothing special. $500,000 worth of coverage for $137.00 a month or $1600 a year. Having good credit and owning your home give you a better % rate depending on the ammount you want to be bonded for. Much like car or home owners inurance.

In general it means if you are arrested and need to "post bond", you will pay nothing out of your pocket to a bail bondsmen. Your insurance bond takes care of the bail.

If you are eventually cleared of all charges and end up with a civil lawsuit being sued for x-ammount of money, depending on the ammount of your bond, IF you're found guilty, your insurance bond will cover the settlement to the ammount of your bond BEFORE you pay out of pocket.

To some it's worth it, to some it's not. Some will be involved in a shooting situation in thier lifetime and some will not. Some will chace it, others won't. You decide for yourself and your situation.

Well that's an interesting take on that. Hope that works out for you lol

Guest flyinglowwithheat
Nice.

Thanks for posting...we need a dedicated "video" section on the forum to keep track of all of these...this video is a perfect 5 minute training.