Calling all 1911 experts

Parrothead

Well....its embarrassing but i have never fired a 1911. Although i feel my age and lack of military training might be the reason, i dont think this is a valid excuse.

Personally, i know very little outside of the history of the gun. Can anyone fill me in on the basics so WHEN i get to fire one i have a idea of what i am doing. Again, rookie question of the decade. I just grew up with tubberware. I have never had the extra coin to get a 1911 for range use. I cant carry one cause' i dont know ***** about it. So therefor i never owned one. :tough:;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titan14 is right. No good can come of a 1911 addiction.:tough:

On a serious note though. It's really not much different than your run of the mill tupperware pistol, except that it is single action only instead of striker fired. It has a grip safety and a thumb safety. You chamber a round and leave the hammer cocked with the safety on until you are ready to shoot. It won't go bang unless you hold the grip, unlock the safety, and pull the trigger.

Umm, in all reality, it's a handgun. It shoots like a handgun would shoot. It's not gona sting your hand or split your forehead open because of the massive recoil. You seem worried or squeemish about shooting one for some reason. Confidence is the key to shooting any gun no matter the caliber or type. After the first shot, you'll never be the same......:cool:

If you are worried about shooting the massive, hardcore .45ACP monster stopper, then maybe you need someone to hold your hand in the gun stores so they won't bite you through the glass. Their tuff and hard to tame for sure. You'll need lots of sleep and vitamins to keep your energy up as excited as you're gona be when you realize the granddaddy of all things handguns is sitting in your hands going bang!!! :P

Umm, in all reality, it's a handgun. It shoots like a handgun would shoot. It's not gona sting your hand or split your forehead open because of the massive recoil. You seem worried or squeemish about shooting one for some reason. Confidence is the key to shooting any gun no matter the caliber or type. After the first shot, you'll never be the same......:cool:

If you are worried about shooting the massive, hardcore .45ACP monster stopper, then maybe you need someone to hold your hand in the gun stores so they won't bite you through the glass. Their tuff and hard to tame for sure. You'll need lots of sleep and vitamins to keep your energy up as excited as you're gona be when you realize the granddaddy of all things handguns is sitting in your hands going bang!!! :P

not at all worried about shooting one. I have just never had the chance. I have owned glocks, taurus, s/w and keltec. Its not that i am unfamiliar with the 45. I just haven't shot one in the 1911 platform. I am wondering about the advantages of the 1911.....

i feel the 1911 is the most comfortable gun to shoot for me. there is a reason that 100 years after its creation, its still one of the most popular guns out there. the trigger is what all other guns wish they could have, short, crisp movement.

i will agree that it is addicting though. i got my SA Mil Spec back in august and will be picking up my TRP next month. and i thought my m14 was gonna take up all of my cash.

Shooting a 1911 is not very different. The major difference comes in field stripping for cleaning.

My two carry guns are a Kimber Ultra Eclipse II and a Glock G26. The Kimber weighs 32oz. and the Glock weighs 26oz with the extended magazine. The Kimber is actually more comfortable to shoot. The perceived recoil is less with the .45 ACP than the 9MM.

I just got back into 1911's. As others have stated, it is an addiction. I really like my Glock but I love my Kimber.

You'll never be the same after shoot'n THE REAL PD. HANDGUN. Welcome to the world of JMB, just shoot'n one mag and you will come to understand why all other PD handguns are judged aganst it. After 98 yrs. it has become the world standard for fighting with a handgun.:cool:

Guest BigShot

Wish you was closer... going to exercise my shootin' hand today. Will have 3 barrel lengths to show my buddy's son and daughter how each shoots. You'd be welcome to play too.

Trying to describe the 1911 recoil doesn't do it justice. A push more so than a bite, maybe. I find the 1911 in .45 to be a lot less recoil than the 9s and 40s just because of the feel. I know there's more there because of bullet weight BUT it feels better, to me.

Anyone one of the guys I've met at the range would be glad to let you shoot their 1911. Even if you don't sell off all your other guns after your hooked, you need to feel the difference.

Well....its embarrassing but i have never fired a 1911. Although i feel my age and lack of military training might be the reason, i dont think this is a valid excuse.

Personally, i know very little outside of the history of the gun. Can anyone fill me in on the basics so WHEN i get to fire one i have a idea of what i am doing. Again, rookie question of the decade. I just grew up with tubberware. I have never had the extra coin to get a 1911 for range use. I cant carry one cause' i dont know ***** about it. So therefor i never owned one. :cool::P

The shooting of a quality 1911 is like the love of a good woman, a smooth cuban cigar and a shot of 12 year old scotch all at the same time. I am exaggerating of course, but you get my point. LOL

Guest Gun Geek

Hey dont discourage him there is nothing wrong with a 1911 addiction. I shot one once... now I have 6 of them I think.

Ask BlueMax about shooting a 1911 for the first time. :cool:

As a former non-45 shooter, I can say that it is an addiction. I started shooting 38, 9mm, 380, and of course 22's. My perception was that I couldn't handle the big heavy gun and the massive recoil enough to control it. I was taken to a bowling pin match and took JMB's second child, the P-35 Browning Hipower. I'd shot it for years and was fairly good with it...until I met "The Pins". After being humiliated at the line.

(5 pins= 1+ mags of 9mm in 13-25 seconds//5pins=5 rounds 45acpin 5-8 seconds) I started looking at 1911's more closely. That was many guns and about 5-6 1911's ago. Still have my hipower and several others as well and really like shooting them all, but the 1911 is comfortable to hold and shoot, accurate as you want it to be or make it to be with modifications, and still attracts and commands respect from all the other pistols and caliber out there.

So jump on in, the water's fine!:cool:

My only experience with the 1911 is when I was in the Army. I remember when the Army transitioned to the M9 (the Beretta). Hands down the 1911 is the best pistol platform out there. It was designed specifically to handle the .45 acp round, and that is why IMHO, it is better than all other pistol designs in that caliber.

Edited by First Strike
typo

I find my Springfield Mil-Spec much more difficult to shoot accurately than my Glock. However last range visit I really focused and had 4 shots touching out of 7 while testing out some Winchester white box HP's. That has NEVER happened with my Glock unless I was shooting with the baseplate resting on a concrete table. Have fun adn be safe!

Had a Glock and an XD subcompact (both in .40) and was pretty happy with them. Picked up a Colt Combat Elite, ran a box of 50 thru it at the range. Sold the Glock the next weekend, and gave the XD to my son that same day.

Funny, I go with folks to the range to shoot a variety of handguns...they invariably get wide-eyed and kinda quiet after shooting the Colt...and they come back for more, and more, and more.