What are these?

Guest NeuralFizz

Guest NeuralFizz

It's time for the "What the heck are these guns?" thread.

My father in law passed away and my mother in law is looking to get rid of some of his guns. There are a few that I have no idea what they are or what they're worth. Can someone help me so I can help her out? (Obviously I'd like to take some off her hands too to keep it in the family)

First up: SDC11148.jpg

A Richland arms 12 gauge over/under. I've never heard of them so I know virtually nothing about them.

Next: SDC11151.jpg

A Browning .22. It doesn't give any kind of model number just "Browning .22" It loads the bullets from the stock which is kind of weird. Has some nice scroll work on it as well: SDC11150.jpg

Then, an old WW2 gun: SDC11158.jpg

Here's the crest or whatever it's called. It's worn off a bit so it's hard to see it. SDC11155.jpg

The ammo it uses is 8mm Mauser, so I assume it's a mauser. :lol: All the numbers match.

So if anyone could tell me what models these are (i know it's tough from just the pics) and some guestimate prices I'd appreciate it. I can get different pics of different parts if needed.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those little Browning SA's are not cheap, even used.

Have never owned one but they are classics often left out in the semi-auto .22 wars of 10/22 vs Marlin 60's, most likely due to being in a whole different price range.

In addition to the weired stock-loading tube mag and bottom ejection, it is collapsible.

I have a Browning .22 just like that (minus the scope). Mine was actually made in Belgium. It was bought by my Dad in 1970 (year I was born) in Germany. It's a fantastic shooter.

The Browning is an SA-22. I bought one new this year, but they've been in production forever. Still listed on their web site. Designed by John Browning himself.

And, I just found out recently, it's still the only .22 rifle made that way, the design is still proprietary...guy at range was telling me about them, he had a Remington made around 1940 made same way, Remington sold them for just a couple of years, got sued by Browning and had to quite making them, and to this day the patent or whatever still holds on the Browning.

- OS

Guest NeuralFizz

Actually, I have one more question. I'm offering my mother in law 150 for the mauser. She needs the money so I want to give her what its worth. Is 150 a fair price?

Edited by NeuralFizz
Guest Muttling

I don't know what a fair price for the Mauser is. However, I'm thinking $1200 for all 3 is a really good price to her and an exceptional price if the weapons stay in the family.

I suggest telling her that you will keep them in your collection and give her $100 a month for the next 12 months.

I think it's a good deal for both of you, but I'm not an authority on any of this.

I thought someone was making a knock off of the Browning. Seems like it was coming out of Brazil. That's a great little .22, BTW. It's also a nice little collection. Would be something to purchase from your MiL and pass on to a son or grandson... or to someone, say, LIKE ME! I'd love to have all of them!

Actually, I have one more question. I'm offering my mother in law 150 for the mauser. She needs the money so I want to give her what its worth. Is 150 a fair price?

I honestly think it is but I'm no where close to an expert. Maybe even a little more like $175 (she is your MIL after all). Whatever you do get that shell holder off the stock before the finish gets ruined. The fabric will attract and hold moisture up against the wood.

If you do get the rifle leave it like it is!

I thought someone was making a knock off of the Browning. Seems like it was coming out of Brazil. That's a great little .22, BTW. It's also a nice little collection. Would be something to purchase from your MiL and pass on to a son or grandson... or to someone, say, LIKE ME! I'd love to have all of them!

I was thinking the same thing moped. I could have swore the last gun show I attended someone was carrying one around with INTERARMS stamped on it. He tried to tell me it was made by browning and they just put their stamp on it but I wasn't convinced.

Neat little guns though. Always loved how it breaks down.

My daughter just inherited a 22 like that. Browning calls it the 22 Semi-Auto rifle. It is a neat little gun and can be taken down into two pieces if the scope mount is not connected to the barrel and the receiver. I can't tell on yours from the picture. It looks like a Grade 1. Current MSRP for a new grade 1 is $659.

You can find the date of manufacture by checking here:

22 Semi-Auto Rifle

The serial number on ours is on the bottom of the barrel in front of the stock.

Some people place more value on the ones manufactured in Belgium. They moved production to Japan in 1974.

Sorry about the duplicate info, somehow missed the whole second page before posting.

Idaho

Edited by Idaho
Added Info

Norinco made a copy of the Browning that was imported by Interarms for a while.

Check and see if yours is Belgium or Japan (Miroku). Averages around $150 more for the Belgium ones on the used market. That said... don't sell it. They are such neat rifles.

Norinco made a copy of the Browning that was imported by Interarms for a while.

Check and see if yours is Belgium or Japan (Miroku). Averages around $150 more for the Belgium ones on the used market. That said... don't sell it. They are such neat rifles.

there is one for sale on GOC now