You First Shotgun

Chief07

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

western auto 20 ga single shot that i got in the 60's. killed a bunch of birds with it for years. the single shot made a better bird hunter out of me. got more birds during a hunt than any other person that went. one shot, one bird was the way to go. had two good bird dogs too. life was good.

When I was 10 years old, my father took me to the local Ace Hardware Store and ordered am H&R 58 Topper youth model with two barrels; a 30-30 Winchester and a 20 guage with a modified choke. I've killed several deer, squirrels, rabbits, doves, quail, crows, and I don't know what all else with it. I still own the gun, and occasionally still hunt with it. The 30-30 barrel will consistantly shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. The 20 guage barrel kicks like a rented mule. I wouldn't trade that gun for the world.

Mossberg 500 combo in a 12 ga. I did not like it, so I traded it for an old beater truck. I do not have the truck either, but if I had my choice, I would still rather have the truck. I just did not like the Mossberg, but it was a combo and ecconomical.

I am much more attched to an 870 28ga that I bought for my father to shoot clays with. He is not able to shoot any more, but that will be my child's first shotgun barring that it gets stolen or something.

I was 13 and paid $15 for a used single shot 16 gauge Sears. Well worn, but I refinished the stock and gave it a cold blue and was very proud of it. Rabbit hunted with it for years. Still have it and my grandson/granddaughter will get it.

That is a cool story, and I'm sure your grandkids will love it. Just curious, what would you equate $15 to in today's dollars? I wish I could find a shotgun for $15 in any condition.

My Dad gave me a used Remington 1100 Trap that he bought at Berry's Pawn. It didnt have screw in chokes so he got me another barrel that had them. It has killed doves, quail, phesant, and lots of clay birds. I still have it and wouldnt get rid of it for anything. Hopefully one day I can pass it down to a son or daughter.

That is a cool story, and I'm sure your grandkids will love it. Just curious, what would you equate $15 to in today's dollars? I wish I could find a shotgun for $15 in any condition.

43 years ago, $15 would come out to about $100 today according to the inflation calculator I used.

Guest abailey362

mine was a mossberg 500 combo that my dad bought me when I was 11 or 12. Still have it and wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Great multi-purpose gun, but it mostly lives in the safe now.

Guest Swamprunner

I was very fortunate. I wound up with my Papaw's old model 12, 12 gauge. If that thing could talk.... . Funny thing, though, when I was in the service in the far East, I carried the same shotgun, except that it was parkerized. I still carry the scar on my thumb from the action. My oldest boy has it now.

Guest Drewsett

Maverick 88 12 ga myself...first and only bought for home defense. Tossed an adjustable recoil absorbing stock on it for the wife to use it easily. Shoots great and was cheap! Well, the stock was half as much as the gun heh.

I am 55. I still have the first shotgun I ever bought in 1972. Me and my brother bought one just a like. Ordered it from a Sears catalog store that was in Gallatin, TN> It is a Sears Ted Williams, Model 200, 12 gauge pump. It was made by Winchester. It is a Win. 1200. It still looks pretty good. Kick like a mule. What I really like about the shotgun. It has a adjustable choke on the end of the barrel. So I use any choke setting. But can only use 2 3/4 inch shells. gearyr