more from the Grammar Police....

BigPoppa

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point because I firmly believe that there is no excuse for being marginally literate. People routinely overcome illiteracy against tremendous adversity (such as those who fight and overcome dyslexia in order to master even the basics of reading and writing) so there's no excuse for someone to do "just enough" to squeak past the extremely low bar set by public education.

I can't tell you how often I encounter people in the business world who write with less proficiency than what is typically deemed acceptable at a 6th grade level. It is a sadly common occurrence.

All kidding aside, I have to agree. The same can be said for any skills including general math. I can deal with the verbage or lack there of alot easier than I can deal with someone who can't count your change back to you.

The sad part of it all is the fact most of these peaople have a highschool diploma. how the heck does somoene graduate without basic math skills.

anyway, back writing my for sell ads in the trading post.. :):biglol:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point because I firmly believe that there is no excuse for being marginally literate. People routinely overcome illiteracy against tremendous adversity (such as those who fight and overcome dyslexia in order to master even the basics of reading and writing) so there's no excuse for someone to do "just enough" to squeak past the extremely low bar set by public education.

I can't tell you how often I encounter people in the business world who write with less proficiency than what is typically deemed acceptable at a 6th grade level. It is a sadly common occurrence.

If your so insulted by ignorance maybe you should require all that register to the site to pass your IQ and literacy exam. I understand that you don't want your place looking like some redneck hangout but do you really expect everyone to run a spelling and grammar check on every post. I concider myself very educated and never intentionally try to come off sounding ignorant but do we really want to turn this place into somewhere people care more about where I put the apostrophe instead of where they come for excellent firearm information. I know, that last sentence was probably way too long so now I've brought the whole site down a notch.

• Administrator
If your so insulted by ignorance maybe you should require all that register to the site to pass your IQ and literacy exam. I understand that you don't want your place looking like some redneck hangout but do you really expect everyone to run a spelling and grammar check on every post. I concider myself very educated and never intentionally try to come off sounding ignorant but do we really want to turn this place into somewhere people care more about where I put the apostrophe instead of where they come for excellent firearm information. I know, that last sentence was probably way too long so now I've brought the whole site down a notch.

I'm not "insulted" by ignorance, nor do I view lack of literacy as demonstrating ignorance if you're going by the correct definition of that word. Ignorance implies a lack of knowledge of something. Many of the people that I've met with atrocious spelling and grammar were completely aware (even if they refused to admit it) that their grammar was horrible. Rather than work to correct it, those people and many of the guilty parties here, just arched their backs and became belligerent about it. Kind of like what you did in your response, even though it would appear that you aren't one of those that we're talking about here in the first place.

A person who really cares about doing more than "just enough" will try to better themselves in some way. A person who doesn't care or is just too lazy to try to fix it generally assumes that "just enough" has gotten them by this long, so what's the bother.

Like I keep telling my teenagers: The working world is short on jobs these days, and overstocked on people willing to do "just enough". If an employment opportunity is between you and the guy willing to do just enough, you need to be the guy with the edge. The ability to express yourself intelligently in both written and spoken form are most definitely edges to be had.

Kind of like what you did in your response, even though it would appear that you aren't one of those that we're talking about here in the first place.

Well...he did spell 'consider' wrong. :biglol:

I concider myself very educated and never intentionally try to come off sounding ignorant .
I'm not "insulted" by ignorance, nor do I view lack of literacy as demonstrating ignorance if you're going by the correct definition of that word. Ignorance implies a lack of knowledge of something. Many of the people that I've met with atrocious spelling and grammar were completely aware (even if they refused to admit it) that their grammar was horrible. Rather than work to correct it, those people and many of the guilty parties here, just arched their backs and became belligerent about it. Kind of like what you did in your response, even though it would appear that you aren't one of those that we're talking about here in the first place.

A person who really cares about doing more than "just enough" will try to better themselves in some way. A person who doesn't care or is just too lazy to try to fix it generally assumes that "just enough" has gotten them by this long, so what's the bother.

Like I keep telling my teenagers: The working world is short on jobs these days, and overstocked on people willing to do "just enough". If an employment opportunity is between you and the guy willing to do just enough, you need to be the guy with the edge. The ability to express yourself intelligently in both written and spoken form are most definitely edges to be had.

Unfortunately the type of thinking David is referring to is the reason some children are coming out of the school system and can't read or even write their own name. There was a local high school football player that received a scholarship for UT only to find out down the road that he had the reading skills of a preschooler. Even then they tried to sweep it under the rug. I went to school with this player and know EXACTLY why he turned out the way he did.

I make an effort while online to use proper english but don't go out of my way to make sure it doesn't sound "country". I am a born and raised Tennesseean and I am VERY proud of that fact. I could start using the normal country slang but then I would look just as foolish as those guys on calguns that use Kalifornian slang. Although if you read what I post online and then talk to me at a gun show you will think I have split personalities. Just ask some members that know me :biglol:

If your so insulted by ignorance

He also used "your" instead of "you're." (Sorry, I just had to... :biglol:)

For all the folks that have spelled grammar "grammer" in this thread... shame on you.

Bad grammar and punctuation has a tendency to make you look like you truly are some back-woods, inbred, slack-jawed, cousin-marrying buffoon rather than the well educated firearm owner that you are.

I love that!! I'm definitely going to borrow it... but it should have been "have a tendency," not "has a tendency." Reference to two subjects requires "have."

One of the things that gets me is when people say, "Try and..." It's "Try to..." If you're going to "Try and do" something, just do it!

(EDIT: pitt, apparently you were typing at the same time I was. Slack given by me, considering the circumstance!)

He also used "your" instead of "you're." (Sorry, I just had to... :biglol:)

For all the folks that have spelled grammar "grammer" in this thread... shame on you.

I love that!! I'm definitely going to borrow it... but it should have been "have a tendency," not "has a tendency." Reference to two subjects requires "have."

One of the things that gets me is when people say, "Try and..." It's "Try to..." If you're going to "Try and do" something, just do it!

(EDIT: pitt, apparently you were typing at the same time I was. Slack given by me, considering the circumstance!)

You could have also pointed out that "well-educated" (from Broomhead's post) should have been hyphenated, as it is a combination of both adverb and adjective used as a single adjective.

Yay! This is a fun game! Let's keep playing! :)

Cut me some slack man. One misspelled word at 2:30 in the morning is pretty good for me.

LOL Hey I'm good to construct sentences. I tend to just grumble alot. :biglol:

Thanks for the break Steel. I was beginning to think that I was too uneducated for TGO. I was about to move over to GlockTalk where the standards are lower. :)

ahahahaha

Guest Broomhead

I'll be the first to admit that I am not perfect. However, I try to do my best and proofread what I have typed before I hit the "Submit" button, or go back and edit before anyone else sees it.

What does this have to do with an internet forum? I hardly think you can call someone lazy because of how or what they type on this site. I frequent this site to relax not for a grammar lesson. And just to clarify I'm not being belligerent.:up:

Guest birdman

whem i com her ei see beter spelin then any other bords i lokat

Seriously, I see better grammar here than any of the other forums I visit. It's a serious problem other places but here I've never had a problem. It's just funny to me to see this posted here.