Good story about talking to someone about HCP!

So, I was in Kroger this morning (West Knoxville) after church buying some flavored beer for a present for my wife (first, I'm Presbyterian, second my wife likes the girly stuff;)) and the girl who was running the self-checkout asked for my id. I showed her my HCP for ID and she asked how hard it was to get a permit. I was then able to tell her where to go to class and what to expect to get a permit. Turns out her husband had given her a Ruger .380 for Christmas and she wanted to get her permit.

Next time I see her I'll find out if she's going forward on getting her permit.

Matthew

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was in Kroger this morning (West Knoxville) after church buying some flavored beer for a present for my wife (first, I'm Presbyterian, second my wife likes the girly stuff;)) ...

Presbyterian women have some special affinity for flavored beer?

Who knew?

- OS

I have a similar story from last night. My wife got us massages from Massage Envy in the Cool Springs area. Somehow we got to talking to one of the girls at the counter about guns, and she said she and her husband were going to a gunshow today in Franklin. He was going to buy her a gun, and I asked if she would carry it if she had her permit.

She said no, but she would keep it in her car. I encouraged the girl to go to a class (told her where we did ours, easy to do, etc) and start carrying. My wife, who has her HCP was there, so she was able to put a positive girly spin on it.

I asked them if they had any problem if i were to carry (i had left mine in the car just in case), and they said it was no problem. They believe the owner has a HCP as well.

I keep mine next to my drivers license and its visible when I get carded, no one has ever said anything other than a co-worker who saw it when I was getting money out. He asked me a couple questions and said he wanted to get his when he turned 21. A lot of guys mention they like to keep their hidden, but honestly most people don't look at anything other than the date and are to oblivious to notice what it is that you have.

I'm a server and there have been several times when I have carded people and they have both their HCP and license visible, I've often wanted to strike up a conversation about it but I don't because some guys would be upset if I asked about it in front of who ever they are with. Some people with HCP's don't want anyone to know they carry so I don't ever ask.

Had a guy say my wallet was staged for a purpose one time.

When i open it to get my debt card out the NRA member card is in the right hand side and the debit card is under the flap that holds my DL and when i flip the flap up to get to it my HCP is on the underside behind my DL

The only time I have had a "negative" comment was when I was at business meeting at Wild Wings Cafe here in West Knox (they had improper signs posted, but I wasn't carrying because I knew I was going to have a drink) and the server told me she couldn't accept an HCP as ID. I didn't want to argue with her that state law says any valid government picture ID is allowed. The owner must be pretty anti-gun to post and refuse to accept HCP's as ID.

Matthew

Guest broncobuddha

Well that and guns in restaurants are back to be illegal now.

I don't know of any restaurant or bar owners here in town that were ok with the law when it was first passed. And they were ecstatic about it when that worthless judged called it unconstitutional.

Maybe he's afraid we'll shoot the wakeboarders? Lol.

Guest Broomhead

My local Logan's, Nashville West, was always cool with my Dad and I carrying. Even the Red Robin beside it was cool when I OCed one day.

I am going to have to start using my HCP for ID from now on. Just to be able to spread the word more better.

I've used my HCP as photo ID at BNA (Nashville International), DTW (Detroit Wayne), and Philadelphia airport. Never had anything but friendly reactions. Usually I wear either a Kimber or Glock cap when I travel. Was even asked in Detroit if I had checked my handgun and wasn't it great that Tennessee and Michigan had reciprocity so I could carry when in the state on business.

However, it's probably not the best with certain people. I started after receiving my permit because of an incident in Portland, OR in 2004. The security line had an additional screening for gun powder residue and explosives residue.(It could have been baby wipes and good actors, but it made me think). I guess I just don't want a bunch of TSA agents feaking out if I ever encounter a similar test and want to remove any doubts that, yes, I have fired a handgun recently.

Well, this is kind of how and why I got my HCP last year. At one of the distributors that we buy from (been doing business there years) we talk guns, and hunting, during the seasons. Alright now we're talking one morning I ask one of the ladies if she had done any hunting this particular weekend. She said no, but that her and one of the other women were going take thier HCP classes that week. Now I knew a couple friends that have their permits, but I just never thought that much about really. A week or so later I went and took mine. Took nearly 5 1/2 mons. I received it first of June. I have handed it and the DL to purchase a firearm and both times they handed back the HCP and used DL, thought about using for ID but never have.

I have mixed emotions about using HCP for ID. When you carry a firearm for personal defense, do you really want people to know you have a firearm on your person? Isn't part of the carry process to give you the element of surprise in the event you ever had to use it? Personally, I would be concerned that someone might get some kind of wild idea and maybe make a grab for it. Maybe that's just me being paranoid, but one never knows. I don't even post NRA stickers or gun stickers on my car just so no one gets any wild ideas. Call me crazy but someday somewhere you flash that HCP to the wrong person and the poop is libel to hit the fan...JMTCW

I was at the bank this morning, went through The drive thru, Not my local bank so not everyone there knows me I was depositing check and getting cash back, asked for id and sent in my hcp, then when giving the cash and permit back the lady told me next time to come into the bank and deposit my check, she said that me carrying in my truck through the drive thru was not keeping her safe, lol they do have an armed guard at the bank but she said more guns more safety, Why can't everyone think this way.

Guest Broomhead
I was at the bank this morning, went through The drive thru, Not my local bank so not everyone there knows me I was depositing check and getting cash back, asked for id and sent in my hcp, then when giving the cash and permit back the lady told me next time to come into the bank and deposit my check, she said that me carrying in my truck through the drive thru was not keeping her safe, lol they do have an armed guard at the bank but she said more guns more safety, Why can't everyone think this way.

There are a couple of gas stations that I hit that feel the same way as your teller.

I concur with ftncity on this one. I think some people would interpert you flashing a HCP to them as ID as your way of saying "look at me" I get to carry a gun.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly why I wouldn't use my HCP as a ID and ever more because I don't want everyone looking at me if some :tinfoil: starts.