"The Pacific" Open Thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that it was great enterntainment and a good depiction of what they have shown so far.

It is not BoB and should not be compared to it. Though I am sure that a comparison is what will happen.

This series will grow on you I am guessing.

Can't wait to rewatch episode 1 and what else is to come.

my uncle was part of one of those units that was the 1st on the Canal. From what he told me it was very, very realistic. Especially the part about them watching the night naval battle... and the next morning the US Navy retreating and leaving them stuck.

Its going to be a great series.

Ironically my dad and I were talking about war the other day. He said it isn't like in the movies where some picks up a picture of a dead enemy soldiers wife and feels bad. But he flew uh-1 's for two tours. Last week was probably the most he ever said about war. I liked it so far.

That one scene made me think about what he said.

Edited by Krull

My wife commented that she liked how BoB introduced you to the group during training, and then took you to war with them. I explained to her the difference between the established Marine Corps' "First to fight" and a brand new concept of paratrooper warfare during that time. True, there wasn't much of an introduction of the characters: however, there wan't the same amount of time involved in training.

What I thought was interesting was their downplay of Japanese atrocities, (the American bodies tied to trees), and the American atrocity, (target-shooting the Japanese soldier at Alligator Creek). It seemed to me that the director was making the effort to portray the Americans in a more negative light, and that bothered me especially when the Japanese committed atrocious acts from the very onset of the war - even against female civilians.

I had watched the making of "The Pacific" and the segments about the characters on on demand and looked up their bios on line but both myself and my wife commented on the fact that they didn't provide the names of the two gentleman who were speaking at the beginning of the segment.

Though it was very vague about the group prior to deployment, I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope it picks up as the series progresses. I plan on going back and watching the making of "The Pacific" again to see if it sheds any more light.

Here is my beef. It seemed very compressed. When the fresh boots arrived at the end of the episode and they remarked how they looked like they had been to hell and back it didn't mean much. As viewers we had only seen one battle and about 15 minutes on the island. All the pre-deployment stuff felt a little cliche and kind of throwaway. It didn't create the connections that I thought it was trying to. The first episode of BoB wasn't the best partly because I spent the whole episode trying to get over that David Schwimmer was in it (he was ok, though, as much as I hate to admit it). However, the whole boot camp aspect provided a nice grounding before they were sent off. The Pacific didn't.

Also is it just me or were the guns off? I thought that the military never used drum mags on the Thompsons, and every soldier with a rifle had an m1903. I only saw one or two Garands and no m1 carbines. I'm certainly no expert but that seemed off. Also, were they still using the water cooled M1917 machine guns? I thought 1919s were the standard by then. Would love to hear from someone with more knowledge of the gun history on this one.

Also noticed a couple of errors. 1) there was a soldier cleaning a 1903 then a second later, he is holding a garand. Also when the machine gunner is handed a can of .30-06 he one hands it from the end, i.e. it is clearly empty or he would have dropped it lickedy split. Also a right handed guy is shooting a left handed springfield.

Edited by 9teeneleven
Guest rystine

Also is it just me or were the guns off? I thought that the military never used drum mags on the Thompsons, and every soldier with a rifle had an unscoped 1903. I only saw one or two Garands and no m1 carbines. I'm certainly no expert but that seemed off. Also, were they still using the water cooled M1917 machine guns? I thought 1919s were the standard by then. Would love to hear from someone with more knowledge of the gun history on this one.

QUOTE]

The military in general, and the Marines in particular, spent much of the early part of the war with 1920's and 30's weapons. That included early generation Thompsons (not sure of the exact nomenclature) which took drums, 1903 Springfields, and 1917 Brownings. Garands, M1 Carbines, M1 Thompsons, and 1919 Brownings weren't really widely issued until late 1942 to early 1943. And of course since the Army gets all the good stuff first the Marines had to make do with the old stuff for longer :hijack:

Guest rystine
Not to derail, but why did they choose the switch to the stick mags? Reliability?

Yes, reliability was part of it. Stick mags were also easier to carry, lighter, easier and cheaper to manufacture. Drum magazines are just not very practical.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Also is it just me or were the guns off? I thought that the military never used drum mags on the Thompsons, and every soldier with a rifle had an unscoped 1903. I only saw one or two Garands and no m1 carbines. I'm certainly no expert but that seemed off. Also, were they still using the water cooled M1917 machine guns? I thought 1919s were the standard by then. Would love to hear from someone with more knowledge of the gun history on this one.

QUOTE]

The military in general, and the Marines in particular, spent much of the early part of the war with 1920's and 30's weapons. That included early generation Thompsons (not sure of the exact nomenclature) which took drums, 1903 Springfields, and 1917 Brownings. Garands, M1 Carbines, M1 Thompsons, and 1919 Brownings weren't really widely issued until late 1942 to early 1943. And of course since the Army gets all the good stuff first the Marines had to make do with the old stuff for longer :D

+1!

The Marine Corps has always sucked hind teat, and you have to remember that the military was training with frigg'n wooden weapons and trucks with a signs saying "tank" on its side.

the battle for Guadalcanal was fought from August 7, 1942 and February 9, 1943. Garands were in action in the Marines at that time. From reading I have done a lot of Marines, (old school types) kept their Springfield bolt rifles as they were much more accurate than the Garand. The water cooled .30 cal machine guns were very much in use. Marines did not get the latest and greatest weapons first, the Army did.

Watching it again now

+1!

The Marine Corps has always sucked hind teat, and you have to remember that the military was training with frigg'n wooden weapons and trucks with a signs saying "tank" on its side.

Yup. From William Manchester's "Goodbye, Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War"....(on Guadalcanal) World War I weapons were standard because the Corps, though part of the navy, used army equipment and didn't get new issue until the last GI got his.

Garands didn't arrive on Guadalcanal until the army showed up in October '42. The Marines were either issued Garands as they left Guadal or sometime before their next engagement.

One minor quibble. In Episode 1 of "The Pacific" the Marines were carrying 03-A3's. In actuality they carried 03's. The 03-A3 wasn't officially adopted until May of '42 and the first were delivered in December '42. It saw limited action in the War and was mostly kept stateside for training, limited roles like coastal defense and as war reserve. 03-A3's are easy to spot because they have the rear aperture sight as opposed to the 03's leaf spring notch sight located further from the eye on the 03's barrel.

I also spotted a Reising submachinegun which the Marines came to loathe because it rusted quickly and was a jam-o-matic.