Woke up to a hell of a fight.

Guest ADAM

This morning I woke up around 4:30 to one hell of a dog fight on my back deck. I got up and flipped on the porch lights to find my dog fighting five coyotes on my deck. Me flipping on the lights and yelling didnt phase them one bit, so I ran to my closet got my shotgun and stepped out on the deck, thinking this would scare them off but I was wrong. When I walked out I shot the closest one to me but then others then turned towards me snarling, so I unloaded killing all five. This freaked me out alittle bit, because they didnt run off after me yelling and especially after the first one got shot. Not just me having yote problems lately but the other farmers around me also, but nothing like this. So my question is should I worry about my dog contracting rabies. He is up to date on all his shots as of last week. He does have some bites on his head and throat area and back around his hindquarters.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think the shots would protect him, but would call a vet if I was worried.

I'm pretty sure some of your TGO brothers would be happy to help you whittle on the yote population. Sounds like you got a real good start this morning.

Edited by mikegideon

Would definitely take the pooch to a vet just to be on the safe side.

I don't live on a farm, but I do live in a rural community in Williamson County. I am always armed, especially every time I step outside, for protection from both 2- and 4-legged predators.

Hope your 4-legged friend is going to be OK.

You need to immediately contact the animal shelter and they will need all 5 of the coyotes to run tests but chopping off their heads. I ran into a similar situation when my GSD got in a fight with 6 racoons.

wow! Helluva a way to start the day. I am glad it ended alright for your dog and yourself.

Is there any bounty on these things in your area?

i do not live on a farm but do live in the woods and hear coyotes all the time. They have been on my front porch and drink out of the wifes fountains and garden pond. I never go out at night here without a firearm. I am sort of suprised they did not run off with the first gun shot. Must have had their dander up in a big way.

You and the dog are lucky to come out of that scrap unscathed, or in the dog's case, nearly so. Your dog must be one he!! of a fighter to fend off 5 'yotes. Guess I had better start taking more than the handgun when the big black dog and I go out at night. So far as your dog getting rabies, I thought that is why we had rabies shots?? Yeah, I'd call the vet to be sure. Maybe a booster shot.

oldogy

wow..I'll bet your dog was glad to see you on that porch...he was thinking..."oooh..yer gonna GET IT NOW!!!"

and he was right!

Your dog should be ok, just take the yotes in for testing, I would think.

and you can talk to some of the guys here..they'd be HAPPY to trim the numbers of coyotes in the area for ya.

I did call the vet, they told me that I need to just watch him over the next week or so for any unusual behavior, or quaranteen if possible, but the rabies shot should work. As far as for my dog he just has puncture wounds on his face and hindend. After this morning makes a total of 17 for the year. As far as getting them checked by a shelter I thought of that as I was lightin the fire.

wow..I'll bet your dog was glad to see you on that porch...he was thinking..."oooh..yer gonna GET IT NOW!!!"

and he was right!

Your dog should be ok, just take the yotes in for testing, I would think.

and you can talk to some of the guys here..they'd be HAPPY to trim the numbers of coyotes in the area for ya.

His dog was saying, "Ya! The alpha dog is here now you b!tches. It's on like Donkey-Kong now!" :D

Coyotes hunting in a pack in the middle of the night is normal behavior and isn't indicative of a rabid animal. If you want to make the local health department giddy, inform them so they can decapitate the carcasses and test the brain for the disease. They don't get to do this very often and usually appreciate the opportunity. Your dog's current shot should keep him safe, in the event that these were rabid animals in the very earliest stages of the disease, but taking him to the vet to have the wounds checked and a 10 day quarantine would not be a bad idea. I am not a vet, nor do I play one on TV. I also did not stay at a holiday inn express last night. I've just been around all this good rabies stuff over the last 15 years thanks to my wife...

good luck

Now be honest... How many read this and thought: Damn I've been hunting x times now and haven't seen 5 coyotes total yet...

Mark

I'll admit to that. I haven't even fired at one yet.

I have been thinking about taking my hunting license back, tell them mine is defective and exchange it for another one. :D

To the OP. How close to them were you when you went outside? I'm glad your dog is going to be OK. It sounds like you and the dog look out for each other.