My Guns vs. Husband

Nothing serious just a difference of opinion. I just traded off a 9mm for a Ruger LCR. I still have a 22LR semi auto and a High Standard .357 snubby. He would like to have another 9mm in the house for a couple valid reasons - which I wholeheartedly agree. Where the difference in opinion comes in is, he wants me to get rid of the .357 in trade toward a 9mm.

To me it is a non issue - the .357 stays.

He feels that because the .357 is an older, not so valuable firearm, it would be smart to get rid of it for something new and shiny.

I do not see it that way. At. All. It is the first firearm I purchased and I am attached to it. I used it to qualify for my TN HCP and carried it for many years prior to moving here. When I pick it up it is like visiting with an old friend. Am I being unreasonable about the .357?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Red, I'm with you.

Not even once have I traded off a firearm and not regretted it. So, I quit trading and selling them.

I just wait til funds are in place.

Keep your revolver. Save for a 9!

Guest Bluemax

I'm with you Red, if he's trying to trade with licensed gun dealer or just a good ole boy that trades a lot chances are he's not gonna get what the 357 is worth anyway. My opinion, hold on to it and buy the 9 straight out

The missus tells me that whats mine is hers, and whats hers is hers. So she'd keep the .357, and I'd buy a 9 mm.

Seriously, if you want to keep the .357, keep it. I am "sentimentally" attached to a couple of things, as well, so I understand. There are a lot of good, inexpensive 9's out there.

for one, the 357 is a better round, to my mind.

-for another, if you're comfortable with that pistol, KEEP IT..you're more likely to be more accurate with one that you know well, than one you barely know.

I agree with the other guys..hang out, wait to buy a 9mm. Keep the old standby.

My motto is never sell only add guns, however, I have seriously been thinking of doing the exact same thing you described. I have an older gun that was my first handgun...bought it used and got my HCP with it. It's old and outdated but I can't bring myself to sell it due to the sentimental value. It is like an old friend. I was so close to listing it today and even got it out to take pictures of it, but once I held it...it went right back into the safe.

Keep the oldie and save for the 9mm.

Guest Jamie

Any husband that insane needs to be shot... preferably with a .357. :drool:

( If you're really fond of him, just make it a flesh wound... )

If you do trade it off, however, it's replacement needs to be a .45 Colt. :D

Oh, and I have nothing against 9mm or "new and shiny". I just don't think it's a valid replacement for "Old, reliable, and familiar".

J.

Edited by Jamie

I do a bit of trading, probably more then I should, but only because I haven't quite found what works for me yet. Actually, I just recently have. My para-ordnance LDA 1911. I love this gun because to be honest, cleaning it is kind of a pain compared to some other handguns, and certainly compared to double action revolvers that don't even need to be disassembled in any manner to be properly cleaned. Spending a lot of time cleaning a gun allows you to bond with it in a way, and spending a lot of time with a firearm period allows you to do that as well. Once this bond has formed as it sounds like it has for and your .357, I say cherish it. I spend an hour a day disassembling and reassembling my 1911, and it's often what I look forward to the most. Upkeep of any object has the potential to create this kind of bond.

Guest tbone

Keep the gun you are attached to, I agree totally with everyone else on that. If you are looking for a good, budget 9mm try a Taurus. You can't beat the lifetime warranty. Also, you can pick up Ruger P85 or P89 on Gunbroker for less than $350.00. I have had a lot of luck buying online. Just make sure you have a gun dealer (FFL) who will accept a transfer and know what they will charge for doing so. (Typically between $20.00 and $35.00) That is one of the great things about our country, when it comes to guns, you don't have to compromise!

By all means keep the .357 especially since you have a sentimental attachment to it.

He feels that because the .357 is an older, not so valuable firearm, it would be smart to get rid of it for something new and shiny.
If that is the case then trading it would not be very advantageous anyway. Keep it and just add to your collection. Once it's gone you will probably NEVER get it back.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to answer and offer suggestions.

I would never think of asking him to trade or sell one of his rifles or shotguns, so for him to even suggest getting rid of the .357 is :drool:

He does not carry. All handguns in the house are purchased by me for me. I respect his suggestions on a purchase, however the final decision is always mine. I do let him touch them while he is cleaning them.

The 9mm I traded was a Taurus that I hated from day one. I won't go back down that road. I am leaning toward Glock - based on the reliability - something sorely missing from the Taurus POS I had. A Glock purchase is not carved in stone either. It looks like it is time for me to do some reading and research on 9mm's.

He does not carry.

Those four words speak volumes. Please keep the .357. I, like most of the other posters here have regretted losing guns of our own doing. You could probably sell it any time you wish. So if you don't wish right now.....don't! :drool:

I have a few that I will never part with. One is my glock 23 that was the first handgun I bought for myself when I turned 21. Once it's gone there is no goin' back. If your husband were smart he would at least know it was worth the full price of a new 9 to not have to listen to it for the rest of his life!

Guest cheez

Take it from someone who has regretted trading nearly every gun he has had. Don't trade the .357. Make your husband buy you the 9mm if he is that set on your having one.

Guest Daelith

Keep what your comfortable with! I have a Ruger 9mm that hold on to as my home protection gun, but I will never be able to use it as a carry gun because it's too big for me. I still love it and will not part with it. Besides you can never have too many guns.:drool:

Why are you talking about trading YOUR revolver to get HIM a new 9mm? Tell him to save his pennies and then buy what he wants.

I'm not much for 'new and shiny'. It has always seemed to me that 'trendy' costs extra and brings no added value or utility. I truly believe in paying for quality, but that has nothing to do with 'new and shiny'.