Never miss a meal.

Guest Randy

Guest Randy

This Saturday, May 1st my son and I will be at Guns and Leather for our HCP class. (can't wait) I think i have all the info on the class and the skills needed covered but one thing I never heard anyone talk about, is Do they give you a lunch brake and for how long? And can anyone add a good place to eat near there that is not the Sonic across the street.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did HCP at GnL a few weks ago. It works like this. We had 40 in the class. At the end of the classroom portion (about 1:00pm) we were given our certificates (unsigned by the instructor). Each was numbered in the order in which we arrived that morning. #1-20 went directly to the range. No break. #21-40 were sent off for lunch and told to be back in an hour or so. Groups go through the range 5 at a time. Some groups are faster than others, depending on the weakest shooter in the group.

When you finish on the range, the instructor signs the cert. and off you go. You're all done.

In other words...30 minutes to an hour early in the morning, can save you 2 hours in the afternoon. Get there early. I was in the last group and didn't get started on the range until about 4:40. But there were a couple of exceptionally slow peop....groups in front of me.

I don't know of anything else in Greenbriar but the Sonic across the street. I'm convinced that if GnL wasn't there, Sonic would close. :lol: If your number is higher up, say 30+, you'd have plenty of time to go to Rivergate and back.

Edited by monkeylizard
Each was numbered in the order in which we arrived that morning. #1-20 went directly to the range. No break. #21-40 were sent off for lunch and told to be back in an hour or so.

In other words...30 minutes to an hour early in the morning, can save you 2 hours in the afternoon.

I was in that class.

I was shooter #14 in range group #3. No lunch break for me just like Monkeylizard said, but I was gone for the day by 2:45. I arrived at 7:30 to sign-in/pay and was the 14th person to do so. Don't be afraid to show up early and bring a snack.

Edited by D3vo
Guest The Driller
I was in that class.

I was shooter #14 in range group #3. No lunch break for me just like Monkeylizard said, but I was gone for the day by 2:45. I arrived at 7:30 to sign-in/pay and was the 14th person to do so. Don't be afraid to show up early and bring a snack.

so ur class wasn't the madantory 8 hrs

yep, does not sound like an 8 hour class.

Those deals always make me wonder what they are leaving out. My class lasted near 10 hours.

But that's because they kept you after for remedial tutoring, as I understand it. :P

Seriously, the statute does indeed mandate 4 hours class and 4 hours range.

I believe I was there about 6 in total, best I disremember.

- OS

But that's because they kept you after for remedial tutoring, as I understand it. :P

Seriously, the statute does indeed mandate 4 hours class and 4 hours range.

I believe I was there about 6 in total, best I disremember.

- OS

There actually was a older guy who flunked the shooting part. They kept him after to get him to pass. I felt bad for him he looked fairly embarrassed about it.

I know id did not take 4 hours for the entire class I was in to run through the range either. I am not sure how they account for that amount of range time. I'd love to use that place for 3 more hours.

Guest bhoneycutt

You basically got China Spring, Subway, Domino's, Sonic, Papa Boos's Pizza (Like a Ci's Ci's) and a small mom and pop diner down the road a bit more towards Springfield on the right.

I took a class in Murfreesboro at On Target, and while the Instructor was knowledgable, the way the class was conducted left alot of room for improvement. Having a class size of 30 is, by my opinion, just way too much, as we sat in the classroom for 2.5 plus hours waiting on the others to finish their range time. I felt that all that wasted time could have somehow been put to better use through possibly a second instructor. At the end of the class, our Instructor encouraged us to fill out the comment section of our paperwork, indicating he was especially interested in that. However I felt reluctant to put it down on paper that we didn't actually get 8 total hours of class time as I was concerned it might in some way affect our ability to receive a permit. Hindsight is 20/20

I know the state says 4 hours classroom, 4 hours range. But honestly, what can you do on the range for FOUR HOURS and only go through 48 rounds? that's an average of one round every 5 minutes. I know....safety instructions, etc. but still...that only takes so much time. What can you do in an HCP class for that long? I've been trying to think of what the instructor could have left out, and I just don't see anything. We went through the different types of handguns and actions, safety, cleaning and maintenance, ammunition, watched Bert and Ernie fumble through a YouTube quality video from the state on legal matters, discussed various considerations specific to using deadly force. Our class time was actually 5 hours. Then off to get qualified with our range time.

A tactical class on the range for 4 hours? no problem.

A "don't blow your nuts off when you shove your new gun in your pants" class on the range for 4 hours? really?

Edited by monkeylizard

So it looks like a loaf of bread some PB and J ,bag of chips and cooler full of your favorite soft drink would be in order seems like a lot of wait time before and after the instruction time before range time . Heck bring a grill and steaks might as well make a day of it .:rolleyes:

Guest Randy

Finished the class Saturday 100% on both written and shooting. Due to weather and over sleeping my son did not make it down from Cookeville ( to much frat party the night before) Got there at 7:30 am signed in at number 11. Class was good, Mark keep it informal and somewhat entertaining. I am concerned about a few people there that are getting permits. Makes you wish it was tougher to get. As for eating I did miss a meal, thank goodness for the coke, and candy machine at the range lounge. All that is left is to give the state money and get fingerprinted and wait. and wait and wait.

I am concerned about a few people there that are getting permits. Makes you wish it was tougher to get.

*bites tongue*

and wait and wait.

Seems like they've really gotten faster regarding issuing permits - I've seen/hard from a lot of folks who have gotten their permits within 30 days recently - unheard of a year or two ago...

I am concerned about a few people there that are getting permits. Makes you wish it was tougher to get.

It’s not a class to teaching shooting; it’s a handgun carry permit class. I would say that most people already shoot and they are there to learn the laws as they pertain to HCP. I hate to be cold but I don’t really want to stand around waiting while someone that doesn’t know which end of the barrel a bullet comes out takes ups the classes’ time. It’s their responsibility to learn that prior to an HCP class.

As soon as the classroom was over I just wanted to shoot and hit the road. I’m glad ours was only half a day; that’s why I picked it.

I wish they had some legal experts involved in the training.