Do you flaunt your permit?

Guest Glock23ForMe

My HCP stays behind my wallet, face down, just in case I have to pull my DL out, all you see is a white card with some kind of barcode on the back.

A few people know I have mine, My family and my GF, but about 8 people in all. Also, the 6-10 guys I shoot with 2 times a month know, but thats because we all walk to the range with just boxes of ammo and pull our guns out of our IWB's to shoot.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have my DL when I got a 6 pack once, showed the clerk at Publix my HCP. She got a kick out of it, as did the young bag boy. I guess I should have bought some tin foil while I was there.

I 'flaunted' mine to two friends a few years ago that always stated they wanted one, too.

They eventually obtained their permits, so the flaunting stopped as my job was completed. ;)

As far as 'showing it for id', I will if the permit comes out first.

I have a wallet like Daniel's. It has three card slots and a magnetic money clip. My permit and dl are in one slot along with my credit and bank cards (other two hold my receipts and business cards).

I very rarely get ID'd but I just don't care if someone sees it when I do, tbh. ID is ID.

Edited by strickj

Behind the DL. Don't hide it but don't flaunt it either. No more than I would flaunt a hunting license, fishing license or the card Microsoft sent me when I became certified with them. Its just part of who I am and what I carry.

I can't imagine "flaunting" it. No one NEEDS to know.

I tried to use mine at the courthouse last week only because I needed TWO forms of i.d. The clerk then told me "we can't count that because its in the same system as the DL. Other than that, keep it on the LOW.

Well as far as the state's database of info...that's right they are the same thing.

Some states don't even issue a separate carry permit they just put an endorsement or something on your DL.

Imagine how much money the state could save if they did that here....of course based on some of the post here the shortage of tinfoil would be TREMENDOUS!!! :)

I don't flaunt it. But.

I have used it as a second Official photo ID. Forgot my Passport one time while going on an AFB and used my HCP as a second form of ID. It worked. The duty officer asked how I liked TN. :)

Guest Lester Weevils
Don't forget anyone can look many of us up to see if we have a permit. So it is not a big secret.

Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits Information & News from The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)

Dang! Just typing in first/last (actual) name with no city or zip, there are 12 fellers in TN with my first/last name with carry permits!

By comparison, there are only 11 Joe Smiths in TN with carry permits. I thought my name is rarer than Joe Smith. Maybe the TN Joe Smiths are not as paranoid as folks with my name.

Hmm, maybe the link broke over the last few minutes. Or maybe there is a cookie limiting the number of searches? Tried repeating the experiment, and now any searched first/last name with no city or zip returns "No records found".

Wanted to count also the number of "Joseph Smith" permit holders in TN, but no dice right now.

Guest jrhbb

I don't "flaunt" it but I do use it anytime id is asked. I don't mind people knowing that I carry. I feel they'll be less likely to try anything if they know I have a sidearm. I know that could go two ways though. They could also just run up and shoot me in fear of me presenting my own weapon. I've never had any questions on that id. They usually just get the dob and hand it back. I did however have a lady that works at my nearby Amaco ask me about it. I told her the cost of getting it and what was involved, then told her about the two close calls I had(Its a bad feeling when you think they already have a gun and yours is in a drawer five feet away). Her and two co workers went three weeks later and sat for theirs. So imho I think it is a opportunity to persuade some one to get their ccp or at least let them know that we're part of the good guys and that we could possible help save their life or someone they know

I don't "flaunt it." But I do use it as ID, occasionally. And I don't care who sees it.

A few months ago, I showed it to some people at work, and found out that 3 of them had permits, too, and got two other ladies interested in getting theirs. I've since taken those two to the range, and now, they're planning on buying guns of their own.

+1, to Patrick Henry's opinion.

Guest Caveman

I have had several people use their permits as forms of ID to buy alcohol from my store, it doesn't bother me. Of course they usually see the G22 on my hip and we end up in a 20 minute conversation about firearms and carry options.

Guest SUNTZU
I have had several people use their permits as forms of ID to buy alcohol from my store, it doesn't bother me. Of course they usually see the G22 on my hip and we end up in a 20 minute conversation about firearms and carry options.

I think they just like your kilt.

Guest db99wj

I'm with Mike, my badge is usually a dead give away, if no badge, it is stapled to my chest, or laminated.......and attached to my lapel.

Anyway, I used it once when I got carded by mistake, but other than that, it stays in the wallet.

Just had to send in two forms of id for my moms bank account, should have sent my dl and permit.

I have 4 ID's in my wallet. It is not a billfold. Its got three card slots and a magnetic money clip. I make an effort to get my DL instead of my Military, civilian DoD employee or my HCp.

I use my retired military ID . . . it's gotten me many a discount . . . especially one certain Liquor store.

I have a removeable insert in my wallet that is made to hold ID, etc. It is a small, bi-fold type thing. My DL is in one side and my HCP is in the other - both facing outward and visible through the clear plastic on their respective sides. Usually, when someone asks to see ID, I pull the insert out and hold it by the side that has the HCP, showing them the DL. The HCP is mostly blocked by my hand in those cases but I don't make a huge effort to keep it hidden. I don't 'flaunt' that I have an HCP but I don't treat it like a dirty, little secret either. Besides, I have decided that if I am in a traffic stop situation this would be the best way to subtly show my HCP to an officer.

Heck, many of us have discussed the fact that we have an HCP on this and other Internet forums. We may not make our real names readily available but it really can't be that hard for a determined individual to find out who we are and there are a whole lot more folks with Internet access than clerks who will see my ID in my lifetime, no matter how long I live. In other words, if folks were really good and paranoid, they wouldn't ever mention having an HCP on the Internet. In fact, they probably wouldn't even belong to any firearms related forums.

Edited by JAB

I don't have mine yet, but I have decided.

I will keep mine in my wallet. I will not be flashing it around for all to see.

There will be no reason for me to let everyone to know I have it.

Family, close friends will know I have it.

I havne't taken my class yet, but I have been doing allot of reading, here and other sites.

I picked up some thoughts, if I do something that might provoke a fight while carrying it could be bad for me.

Guest SUNTZU
I don't have mine yet, but I have decided.

I will keep mine in my wallet. I will not be flashing it around for all to see.

There will be no reason for me to let everyone to know I have it.

Family, close friends will know I have it.

I havne't taken my class yet, but I have been doing allot of reading, here and other sites.

I picked up some thoughts, if I do something that might provoke a fight while carrying it could be bad for me.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend..."

You ought to make the permit holders creed, vontar. :dropjaw: