Has anyone seen the movie "The Road"?

Are you feeling down? Worried about loosing your job, the oil spill, terrorist attacks, Obamanomics? Then this is the movie for you. It will cheer you up........ if you can watch the whole movie without shooting yourself.

I was expecting a really bad movie but it was not bad at all. It could have used a couple of Orcs but other than that I thought it was a powerfully thought provoking film.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Watched it the other day. Really well made film. Very depressing. Certainly thought provoking. Followed the book rather closely.

Guest bkelm18
Watched, immediately wanted to gorge myself in the nearest restaurant and start buying canned goods and bullets. I've actually started doing #2 and 3.

The thing I like about 'The Road' is that is happens many years after the "event". Things like rations, bullets, supplies, etc are long gone.

Watched, immediately wanted to gorge myself in the nearest restaurant and start buying canned goods and bullets. I've actually started doing #2 and 3.

The Road isn't really a survivalist story.

Everyone is ultimately doomed.

- OS

Watched it the other day. Really well made film. Very depressing. Certainly thought provoking. Followed the book rather closely.

I'd heard this as well. I'm probably going to watch it sometime, regardless.

"Leaving Las Vegas" is similar, in that it was a real good movie, but just left you depressed for a couple days. Not a lot of people can sit through stuff like that. But, one of Nicholas Cage's best roles. Not a date movie.

Guest bkelm18

It's depressing in the way that you're not sure what you would do in that situation. The earth is dying. Food is almost non-existant. You're slowly starving to death. There are roving bands of cannibals. There is no hope of long-term survival. In the face of an almost certain unpleasant demise, would you keep going on or would you end it?

"Leaving Las Vegas" is similar, in that it was a real good movie, but just left you depressed for a couple days. Not a lot of people can sit through stuff like that. But, one of Nicholas Cage's best roles. Not a date movie.

Many agreed. He won Best Actor Oscar for it.

Helluva flick, for sure.

- OS

Guest mn32768

I watched "The Road" yesterday... If I had to pick a post-apocalyptic world between "Zombieland" and "The Road", I'd take the zombies any day.

Other than that, they could give Robert Duvall a Sears catalog as the script, and he'd still steal every scene he's in. :)

Guest jackdm3

The best discovery I had last week. Absolute down and dirty as that sort of movie should be! "Book of Eli" doesn't compare, regarding darkness.

Guest (BH)

It's awesome, but (believe it or not) it's not anywhere close to being as good as the book. Cormac McCarthy is definitely in my top 3 authors of all time. No movie can ever really do justice to the way he writes. Plus, he is from East TN.

For those of you who liked The Road, check out All The Pretty Horses. Definitely one of the most well written books I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

It's awesome, but (believe it or not) it's not anywhere close to being as good as the book. Cormac McCarthy is definitely in my top 3 authors of all time. No movie can ever really do justice to the way he writes. Plus, he is from East TN.

For those of you who liked The Road, check out All The Pretty Horses. Definitely one of the most well written books I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Yeah, Horses is a wonderful coming of age story. Movie was pretty decent, too.

Blood Meridian is on several of the "best novels of the 20th Century" type lists, too. It's likely the most brutal book I've ever read.

Cormac was actually born in Rhode Island, but came to Knoxville as a tyke and grew up here. Suttree is set in Knoxville. He also lived somewhere in Sevier County for a while, too.

- OS

Guest drv2fst

I did not like the movie "The Road". I consider my tolerance for darkness much better than most. But the concept of absolutely no hope for a father and son is not appealing. I personally believe that fiction should be entertaining, uplifting, or at least cautionary. This movie had nothing of value to offer except Robert Duvall.

I watched "The Road" yesterday... If I had to pick a post-apocalyptic world between "Zombieland" and "The Road", I'd take the zombies any day.

Other than that, they could give Robert Duvall a Sears catalog as the script, and he'd still steal every scene he's in. :)

Couldn't agree more.

It's awesome, but (believe it or not) it's not anywhere close to being as good as the book.

I find that true when comparing any movie to the book.

Is this out on DVD or are y'all going to the movie house? I enjoyed the book and will watch the movie. I don't think my wife will make it all the way through it.

Guest Knightsr25

I watched it as well . If years later you ran out of ammo , then you didnt have enough to begin with . Am I the only one that maintains at least 25K rounds ?

Guest jackdm3
I find that true when comparing any movie to the book.

Is this out on DVD or are y'all going to the movie house? I enjoyed the book and will watch the movie. I don't think my wife will make it all the way through it.

At a Redbox near you!

Guest bkelm18
I watched it as well . If years later you ran out of ammo , then you didnt have enough to begin with . Am I the only one that maintains at least 25K rounds ?

That's why I don't like to postulate on what-ifs. Your line of thought can be dangerous. You just never know what could happen. I don't see how you would carry around 25k rounds of ammunition in a shopping cart anyway. :)

That's why I don't like to postulate on what-ifs. Your line of thought can be dangerous. You just never know what could happen. I don't see how you would carry around 25k rounds of ammunition in a shopping cart anyway. :)

And not be a target to people with more guns than you.