Was Tennessee voting rigged?

Was the Tennessee primary election rigged?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Tennessee primary election rigged?

• Absolutely, voting is a waste of time.
    • Maybe, but I doubt it.
    • It wasn't rigged, we just lost. Get over it, and make November count.
    • Not rigged, the thinking people are just outnumbered in this state.

I am starting a poll. I was totally shocked by the election results from yesterday's Republican primary. Not only did Haslam win (which I did not expect), but a complete "dark horse" won the District 4 race for U.S. House of Representatives.

I went to the Republican debate here in my town a few months ago. Five candidates for Congress took part. DesJarlais (who won the Republican primary yesterday) came in FOURTH in the straw poll, with 9.9% of the 101 votes cast at the end. FOURTH OUT OF FIVE!!! How in the world does that translate to winning the primary?

Maybe I live in an ivory tower. Maybe the audience in that open debate was heavily salted with a minority-patriot population. Maybe the voting is rigged.

Vote. Vote early, vote often....

Edited by graywolf
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it was not rigged. This was a case of 2 relatively conservative candidates splitting their vote and handing it to a much more liberal candidate who didn't have to share his vote with anyone. Same scenario as in the 2008 Republican presidential primaries. Also, you had a situation where there was no race in the Democratic side of the governor primary, so a lot of Democrats crossed over and voted in the Republican side and chose the candidate that most represented their values. It was a simple case of math and demographics, nothing more.

Now in saying that, I think it sucks!!!!

No, it was not rigged. This was a case of 2 relatively conservative candidates splitting their vote and handing it to a much more liberal candidate who didn't have to share his vote with anyone. Same scenario as in the 2008 Republican presidential primaries. Also, you had a situation where there was no race in the Democratic side of the governor primary, so a lot of Democrats crossed over and voted in the Republican side and chose the candidate that most represented their values. It was a simple case of math and demographics, nothing more.

That may be a good explanation for what happened in the statewide race, but I guess I was more stunned by the congressional race. The two combined, though, left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Guest strelcevina
That's like yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theater around here. :rolleyes:

I hope not ;)

I do think even here , only dozen loud ones loved R.R.

Hence he lost.

What it is, is that a majority of voters in Tennessee are LAZY DUPES. They will swallow what they see the most on the boob tube without doing any real research on the candidates, so the candidate who is the multi-millionair can spend over $15 million of his own money in commercials can buy their vote.

I will absolutly NOT vote for that phony rino Haslam in November. I will write in a candidate knowing full well they don't have a chance.

Guest KimberChick

This is how Willie Herenton managed to be Mayor of Memphis for roughly 20 years, lol. He'd run and win with 35-45% of the total vote because the "majority opposition" couldn't get it together to vote for one candidate and/or the opposition "pool" couldn't agree to drop out to allow a single, stronger candidate to lead the charge.

Well, that and he garners the lion's share of the buried-yet-undead voter demographic. :rolleyes:

Rigged. Lol sometimes the smart vote is not always gonna be favorable to all we hold dear. Haslam had this won last year and while pilot did price gouge when gas rocketed up rams didn't do anything stellar to help the Tn economy or create jobs in his other elected office. The state is a business and it needs a real businessman to run it properly so we can bring more jobs and money to the state while not wasting tax dollars. Haslam has far more experience in running things with efficiency. Jobs creation is far more important then anything else.

Haslam won because of West TN. Democrats came out and voted in the Republican primary for him. He ran a very smart campaign by getting Democrats stirred up about Wamp and Ramsey. I don't like it, but it's a classic political maneuver. Likewise David Hall got to the left of Hartline and Heil and got Democrats to come out for him. He's still a better choice than Jim Cooper.

Similarly, Mae Beavers won by getting AJ McCall to do all her dirty work and spread false accusations and innuendo about Susan Lynn. I don't have a problem with Mae's voting record, but this campaign has shown that her character leaves a lot to be desired.

Well, that's what primaries are for. Now we know what we are facing in November. It's time to work for the best results we can get going forward. If your choices didn't win, it's time to start looking forward to 2012. Political campaigns need a lot of planning and organization. Generally the ones who win are the ones who started early and built up a solid campaign network of supporters and contributions way in advance. That is why incumbents have such a huge advantage; they start with an organization that has experience and does not have to be rebuilt for each election.

Guest strelcevina
Rigged. Lol sometimes the smart vote is not always gonna be favorable to all we hold dear. Haslam had this won last year and while pilot did price gouge when gas rocketed up rams didn't do anything stellar to help the Tn economy or create jobs in his other elected office. The state is a business and it needs a real businessman to run it properly so we can bring more jobs and money to the state while not wasting tax dollars. Haslam has far more experience in running things with efficiency. Jobs creation is far more important then anything else.

Agree 1000%

Guest uofmeet

And while all this state wide stuff is going on, in shelby county, which has been mostly democratic, almost had a republican sweep except for one commission seat that was contested. And i think their was a lot of crossover votes for Cohen in hopes bergman would win for congress.

Shelby county has given me hope for November. I think the beast is no longer asleep.

Guest KimberChick
And while all this state wide stuff is going on, in shelby county, which has been mostly democratic, almost had a republican sweep except for one commission seat that was contested. And i think their was a lot of crossover votes for Cohen in hopes bergman would win for congress.

Shelby county has given me hope for November. I think the beast is no longer asleep.

Hard to believe honestly, given the last several elections. This is HUGE really, and makes me wonder how many Midtowners(i.e. staunch liberal types) sported Dem campaign signs but went all ninja-republican at the polls. Maybe they are tired of more of the same, I dunno.

I wasn't terribly impressed by any of the local candidates. It's good that the Rs won if for no other reason than it keeps the status-quo, corrupt, nepotistic folks out of office for a few years. It's going to take more than 9 people to simultaneously bail water whilst turning the ship around though...

Guest strelcevina
So, then, you don't want a governor who would fight for your second amendment rights?

I don't won't him to fight for nothing.

Thanks but no thanks.

You could even argue whatever being a redneck is actually way of life or lower intelligence or lower social status TT. WT or whatever u won't to call it.

Edited by strelcevina
What it is, is that a majority of voters in Tennessee are LAZY DUPES. They will swallow what they see the most on the boob tube without doing any real research on the candidates, so the candidate who is the multi-millionair can spend over $15 million of his own money in commercials can buy their vote.

I will absolutly NOT vote for that phony rino Haslam in November. I will write in a candidate knowing full well they don't have a chance.

I agree with your first paragraph, but not with the second. Throwing your vote away may make you feel better, but it won't help anything. As long as Haslam is a member of the Republican party, there will be party pressure for him to act right.

You're probably right. Just HATE the fact that we're stuck with an anti-gun a$$hole again.

Guest GLOCKGUY
quote_icon.png Originally Posted by K191145 viewpost-right.png

What it is' date=' is that a majority of voters in Tennessee are [b']LAZY DUPES. [/b]They will swallow what they see the most on the boob tube without doing any real research on the candidates, so the candidate who is the multi-millionair can spend over $15 million of his own money in commercials can buy their vote.

I will absolutly NOT vote for that phony rino Haslam in November. I will write in a candidate knowing full well they don't have a chance..

I agree with your first paragraph, but not with the second. Throwing your vote away may make you feel better, but it won't help anything. As long as Haslam is a member of the Republican party, there will be party pressure for him to act right.
Good posting!! I agree with you on this 100% mikegideon...

I wasn't terribly impressed by any of the local candidates. It's good that the Rs won if for no other reason than it keeps the status-quo, corrupt, nepotistic folks out of office for a few years. ...

???

No "Rs" won any elections.

Republicans always win Republican primaries, Democrats always win Democrat primaries.

- OS

Guest KimberChick
???

No "Rs" won any elections.

Republicans always win Republican primaries, Democrats always win Democrat primaries.

- OS

Umm, I dunno about you guys but...we elected a County Mayor, a new Shurf and several other folks yesterday. Hence the previous sentence concerning "local candidates" prior to the sentence called into question.

I'm well aware of how the primary system works.

A fellow Shelby County resident made reference to our local elections and I commented back. As far as primaries go here it was pretty status quo. I don't pay much attention to them as i'm prepared to get screwed regardless of who wins in the end.

Edited by KimberChick