US opposes Seoul’s bid to sell old rifles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldsmobile98
I hope to know when these hit the market as I would like to try to get one of each, if I could get them in good condition. you know, safe enough to collect and shoot. Someone help keep me informed.

Keep on checking here and here.

If they were out on lend/lease, they theoretically could end up back at CMP Which would make CMP very happy and a lot of shooters very happy, If they came back in the regular retail channel can you imagine the prices in this makret? So the question comes down to were they "sold" to SK or just on lend/lease? My guess it's a mix. And this is not in any way to disrespect CMP, but if you were the CEO over there and had a chance to score a 100K rifles wouldn't you get involved?

is this correct? The Garand is from 1926? Does not sound right to me. And I thought Carbines were more like 42 or 43??

I agree, 1926 is not a notable date for the Garand rifle. John Garand made his FIRST prototype in 1922. In 1927 test models were ordered in .276. In 1932, General MacArthur ordered all work on .276 rifles to stop, and the .30-06 Garand rifle was produced for testing. The first production model M1 was delivered to the Army on July 21, 1937. It took until late-1941 before the Army was fully equipped with Garand rifles.

The M1 Carbine was standardized in September, 1941, and the first carbines were delivered to the Army in mid-1942.

There were a LOT of collectors eagerly looking forward to these rifles. Expect Garand and carbine prices to shoot up.

I hope to know when these hit the market as I would like to try to get one of each, if I could get them in good condition. you know, safe enough to collect and shoot. Someone help keep me informed.

these are not critical to availability of these rifles right now. Vontar if you want one of each they are readily available.

CMP has a ample supply

I agree, 1926 is not a notable date for the Garand rifle. John Garand made his FIRST prototype in 1922. In 1927 test models were ordered in .276. In 1932, General MacArthur ordered all work on .276 rifles to stop, and the .30-06 Garand rifle was produced for testing. The first production model M1 was delivered to the Army on July 21, 1937. It took until late-1941 before the Army was fully equipped with Garand rifles.

The M1 Carbine was standardized in September, 1941, and the first carbines were delivered to the Army in mid-1942.

There were a LOT of collectors eagerly looking forward to these rifles. Expect Garand and carbine prices to shoot up.

thanks for the info on this.

I can see where collectors would be concerned, but to the average guy who wants one to shoot it does not matter other than price will go up someday.

Guest 70below

If these rifles ever do make it over, I expect a great deal of them to be basket cases, with a few very nice examples that will be marked sky high......CMP or not.

If these rifles ever do make it over, I expect a great deal of them to be basket cases, with a few very nice examples that will be marked sky high......CMP or not.

Actually, the Blue Sky rifles that were brought in from Korea in the '80's were the culls. These were supposed to be the ones that Korea was keeping back until they finally decided to eliminate their inventory of the Garand and Carbine. The few photos I saw looked like they were almost factory new. The importer has a LOT of money invested in this deal. If the Fed really does kill the deal, another firearms importer will probably be forced out of business.

these are not critical to availability of these rifles right now. Vontar if you want one of each they are readily available.

CMP has a ample supply

I guess I was just hoping to see the market get a flood of them and a price drop, but I know they will treat them like diamonds and trickle them into the market to keep the price up.

However, it would be nice to get some that might be a a newer state, then ones that fought hard and put up wet.

will just have to wait and see, I don't have the extra funds right now to buy them anyways.

Edited by vontar
Guest 6.8 AR

Wasn't Lend-Lease Act used to build up Great Britain and Soviet Russia?

I couldn't find anything about South Korea, except where Russia transferred

a Lend-Lease ship to South Korea. I didn't see anything mentioning small

arms. I've always thought of Lend-Lease related to WW2. Maybe there is

more somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 70below
Asked why the M1s pose a threat, the State Department spokesman referred questions to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. ATF representatives said they would look into the question Monday afternoon, but on Wednesday they referred questions to the Justice Department. DOJ spokesman Dean Boyd referred questions back to the State Department......

.....The White House referred questions on the issue to the Pentagon, which referred questions to the U.S. Embassy in South Korea, which deferred back to the State Department.

I figured this kind a crap was going to happen........ I think the above quote says it all......

Just one more way your friendly big government helps to keep you safe. It should be challenged

in court. I wonder if there ever was a stipulation like the one they mentioned?

Guest 1817ak47

what was it like last week they tried to ban using lead in ammo and now this. this seemed lik it happened in a weeks time or so.

I need a obummer 08 sticker for my car:death:

what was it like last week they tried to ban using lead in ammo and now this. this seemed lik it happened in a weeks time or so.

I need a obummer 08 sticker for my car:death:

The thing last week was a bunch of tree huggers. This Korean thing falls squarely on their shoulders. I hope the NRA finds a way to sue them.