Can one quallify for a HCP with a 22 revolver?

Guest RichieRich

Guest RichieRich

I didn't find an answer to this in an archive search, so my apologies in advance if this has already been answered.

While I DO NOT think that a 22 revolver is an adequate self-defense tool, the Mrs. is really too frightened by the bang of anything more substantial, and my hope is that getting her comfortable with a little gun will ease her into comfort with something that will provide more adequate self defense.

That said, if she takes a HCP class, can she qualify using a 22 revolver? Is there a particular threshold for what constitutes an adequate handgun for the test?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said you can use a .22 revolver. In fact my wife took hers with a single action .22 revolver since she was the most comfortable shooting that one at the time. She now carries a .38 revolver.

Just as a heads up on using revolvers, if it's a SA/DA they will make you shoot it in DA (at least where we took ours).

....Just as a heads up on using revolvers, if it's a SA/DA they will make you shoot it in DA (at least where we took ours).

Guess it depends on instructor. Mine didn't care which way it was shot.

A little funny aside: As I was reloading that old H&R 9 shot (cylinder has to come all the way out of gun), instructor came by and said "you aren't thinking about carrying that thing, are you?"

I said, "Heck yeah, just look how fast I can reload it!"

- OS

The missus qualified with a 22LR. Fact is, she had been looking (and wanting) one of the little Walther 22s. Her instructor rented her the pistol (and provided the ammo) for $5 in order for her to qualify ... during which, she determined that she did NOT want the Walther. So, all in all, a very inexpensive way to learn that she didn't want that particular firearm. By the way, she currently carries a S&W 637 airweight .38. And she's pretty good with it.

I qualified with my Buckmark. At the closest range, I shot eyes, triangle for a nose and the workings of a crooked smile and as the target got further, I focused on center of mass. Scored a hundred very easily.

The instructor raised an eyebrow and grinned at me when evaluating my "artwork".

My wife and I both scored 100% using my 4" S&W Model 18. I have other handguns, and we can shoot them, but being frugal with ammo costs was one of the determining factors. While others were struggling and flinching with 357 snubbies and the like, my wife and I were pleasantly popping away at the gigantic targets placed in front of us. The ammo used for the two of us to qualify was less than $4.

As already stated, you can use any handgun for the class or to qualify, however, the state syllabus specifically allows instructors to limit the caliber if they choose to. So, if you're going to take the class somewhere, you may want to ask. Most instructors don't, but I know several that do.

As already stated, you can use any handgun for the class or to qualify, however, the state syllabus specifically allows instructors to limit the caliber if they choose to. So, if you're going to take the class somewhere, you may want to ask. Most instructors don't, but I know several that do.

".....sadly walks away holding his .50AE limply by his side as the instructor breathes a sigh of relief."

There were two .22s in my class. One woman, one man.

Then you had the usual assortment of .38s, 9mm, and .40s. Then one little girl that might have weighed 100 lbs soaking wet with a .45. I don't remember that much about the class anymore but I remember that girl with that big ole .45.

Guest RichieRich
There were two .22s in my class. One woman, one man.

Then you had the usual assortment of .38s, 9mm, and .40s. Then one little girl that might have weighed 100 lbs soaking wet with a .45. I don't remember that much about the class anymore but I remember that girl with that big ole .45.

You should have had your camera phone going. I would have loved her and the recoil on YouTube!

I have read this thread several times. I have debated commenting. Anyway this line bothers me

the Mrs. is really too frightened by the bang of anything more substantial,

That in itself is an unreasonable fear. it is like my three year old grandson who is deathly afraid of loud noises. There is no persuading that it is not harmful or dangerous. There is no logic at all to be afraid of the noise. Your wife has a ridiculous fear of the noise from a gun. I don't know how you get her past it. A rational adult should not have that fear.

a three year old might should have that fear.

I do not see her having a carry permit, and if she does have one I would not think she will ever be able to defend herself should the need arise. She may well end up as one of those who have her gun taken from her and used against her. She might be better off curling up in the fetal position and hoping for the best.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, just trying to be honest.

Enough people have told you the truth about using a .22 revolver to test with.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest RichieRich

I don't know how you get her past it. A rational adult should not have that fear.

a three year old might should have that fear.

I share your concerns and appreciate your honesty, but would respectfully disagree with your perspectives on the psychology of fear.

Lots of very rationale adults have lots of seemingly irrational fears. There are a lot of theories about this kind of stuff, but there is considerable evidence that 1) with the appropriate motivation and 2) with appropriate conditioning, individuals can functionally overcome (not necessarily completely do away with) such fears.

Think about the person who doesn't know how to swim. He's deathly afraid of swimming in the ocean. How you help him overcome that fear? Teach him to swim! Once he learns that he won't drown at the pool at the YMCA, he can do laps, and then maybe go to the lake. With appropriate motivation and training, he "unlearns" those fears.

The Mrs. wouldn't think twice about running over a carjacker if they were dumb enough to approach her from the front. She's motivated to learn. Our hope is that the confidence of a permit (an external person other than me validating that she can qualify) starting in the baby pool with a 22 will soon get her into the Gulf of Mexico with something more substantive.

I may have oversimplified my original post to suggest that this can happen overnight. It cannot.

Your harsh and honest assessment is wise advice, and a candid reminder that the stakes of insufficient "unlearning" are very high. Thank you.

I help teach the class and we provide Ruger MkII 22 pistols and the ammo for the class. We have found that most that take these classes these days have never fired a handgun. It is much easier to teach people how to shoot properly with a good 22. Most of the women in our classes out shoot the men by the time we get done teaching them. We bring small frame 38 special revolvers and get many of the students that have never fired a larger caliber handgun to shoot them. Then we encourage them to get one because they are about as fool proof a weapon as you can get.

Guest RichieRich
Back in the day, didn't everyone pretty much learn to shoot with a 22 revolver / 22 rifle?

That's how I learned which prepared me to move on up in caliber...

That's sort of how I was thinking about getting the Mrs. up to speed.

I know I started off with a pretty simple question, and do appreciate all the side conversations this thread has generated. Good exchange of great thoughts!

Back in the day, didn't everyone pretty much learn to shoot with a 22 revolver / 22 rifle?

That's how I learned which prepared me to move on up in caliber...

Back in the day yes. Now many people think you should just go buy a Glock and start blasting away. :lol: A practice that I do not agree with.