Another guy needs car help(me)

Erik88

I'll try to make this short and sweet.

I have an 04 Acura RSX. 141,000miles

Since last night it hasn't been wanting to start. I turn the key and nothing happens. If I wait a few seconds and try again nothing happens....but! If I try to start it and then immediately try again it starts right up.

Some background info: battery and starter are 1 year old so I don't think it's one of those 2 things. I was hoping someone can narrow it down for me.

A) Electric issue(ignition or something)

:D fuel issue i.e. fuel pump

C)no freaking clue

I don't know much about cars so I'm hoping someone can chime in.

Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doese anything "click" when you try to start it? If so, then the starter is good.

What kind of battery is in it? If it's a WalMart NeverStart take it back in for a free replacement.

May want to get the alternator checked. If's it's gone bad, which after 141k I'm sure it has then the battery is not getting charged. Has is ever been replaced?

That's all I can tell you.

Ignition switch if it makes no noise. Just jiggle the switch. How much do you carry on your key ring? I had this problem with work trucks until they sent a memo to keep the minimum number of items on the ring with the ignition key. I actully had all my company keys on a keyback. If the lights dim then it is another electrical problem such as starter. I had a Dodge that went through a starter a year. Way back when!

If you want to stop by I will take a quick look.

I have an 2002 RL that I bought right off the showroom floor. Same trouble. It is a known problem with the ignition system. The key has a chip in it that sometimes takes a few tries to get to work because the car has to recognize it as the right key. Acura refuses to fix it because they say it is part of the security system in the car and therefore is not broken. There actually is no fix.

Doese anything "click" when you try to start it? If so, then the starter is good.

What kind of battery is in it? If it's a WalMart NeverStart take it back in for a free replacement.

May want to get the alternator checked. If's it's gone bad, which after 141k I'm sure it has then the battery is not getting charged. Has is ever been replaced?

That's all I can tell you.

I was thinking it could be the alternator.. When I go to start it nothing happens.....silence, not clicking, nothing.

It starts after several trys, correct? If so battery is not the problem, and since battery eliminated so is

alt. Since nothing happens and does eventually start, I would say fuel pump OK.

Leaves 2 areas, poor connection and ignition system. Ignition system will include interlocks such

as clutch switch or neutral safety switch. Can you wiggle the key etc and get it to start? If so

probably switch. Otherwise will need a test light or volt meter to check neutral safety's etc to determine

where the loss of continuity is.

It starts after several trys, correct? If so battery is not the problem, and since battery eliminated so is

alt. Since nothing happens and does eventually start, I would say fuel pump OK.

Leaves 2 areas, poor connection and ignition system. Ignition system will include interlocks such

as clutch switch or neutral safety switch. Can you wiggle the key etc and get it to start? If so

probably switch. Otherwise will need a test light or volt meter to check neutral safety's etc to determine

where the loss of continuity is.

yes it will eventually start, just takes a while. I'm thinking it could be a loose connection or an ignition problem. Thanks for your help

That is good eliminates high cost items such as alt, fuel pump, and possibly starter. Another thing to check is when it won't

start. do any of the warning lights etc in dash light? If not you are not getting power to the dash area which points more to

the ignition switch. If the lights do come on may be in the neutral safety area. The ignition switch usually comes in two parts,

the lock and key cylinder and the actual electrical switch. Sounds as if it is in the switch area is probably in the electrical part.

Also make sure all fuses are seated and tight. Kinda aprocess of elimination of what is working and what is not.

Hope this may help point you in the right direction, as this is only way I know to solve w/o a test light.

Good Luck!

Another thing to check is when it won't

start. do any of the warning lights etc in dash light? If not you are not getting power to the dash area which points more to

the ignition switch. If the lights do come on may be in the neutral safety area. The ignition switch usually comes in two parts,

the lock and key cylinder and the actual electrical switch. Sounds as if it is in the switch area is probably in the electrical part.

Also make sure all fuses are seated and tight. Kinda aprocess of elimination of what is working and what is not.

Hope this may help point you in the right direction, as this is only way I know to solve w/o a test light.

Good Luck!

yes, the lights on the dash do light up. I wish I knew more about cars and this would be a lot easier.

I think it is probably the key. I remember hearing about the chip in the key thing. If that is the case just jiggling the key will be your solution. You do not really have a great deal of weight but some ignition switches are finiky. If you are not changing anything between tries then it comes back to the ignition switch.

Guest 1817ak47

I can make a trip to check thing out on it later in the day tomorrow /today(later tues) very experienced auto mechanic. a small tip would be appreciated but not entirely neccessary. job marekt has really cut down our combined income funds

• Admin Team

Loose battery terminal(s). The vibration from trying to start is enough to make a connection and get it to start immediately after. Try giving both terminals a good twist, and see if they move at all. If they do, you've found your culprit. Clean them off, tighten them up, and you should be good to go. Hopefully a cheap fix.

Loose battery terminal(s). The vibration from trying to start is enough to make a connection and get it to start immediately after. Try giving both terminals a good twist, and see if they move at all. If they do, you've found your culprit. Clean them off, tighten them up, and you should be good to go. Hopefully a cheap fix.

will try that tomorrow thanks

Sounds like the chip in the key thing... Get a can of aerosol contact (circuit board) cleaner, an old tooth brush, a small pipe cleaner, and a source of compressed air.

Hose down the key with contact cleaner and brush it with the tooth brush. Repeat until gunk stops coming off.

Stick the contact cleaner tip in the ignition switch and give it a good blast. Run the pipe cleaner in and out several times. Repeat a few times. Blast it with compressed air until it's dry.

You may also have to learn a new technique which involves holding the key a particular way so that it will make the connection inside the ignition switch.

And yes, the key fob plus a couple other keys is all you should have hanging on the ignition. All the bouncing, swinging, and vibration will wear them out internally. Replacing the ignition switch in newer cars isn't cheap.

I'll try to make this short and sweet.

I have an 04 Acura RSX. 141,000miles

Since last night it hasn't been wanting to start. I turn the key and nothing happens. If I wait a few seconds and try again nothing happens....but! If I try to start it and then immediately try again it starts right up.

Some background info: battery and starter are 1 year old so I don't think it's one of those 2 things. I was hoping someone can narrow it down for me.

A) Electric issue(ignition or something)

:screwy: fuel issue i.e. fuel pump

C)no freaking clue

I don't know much about cars so I'm hoping someone can chime in.

Thanks!

Key switch.

Leroy

replace the switch and your problem is solved. just replaced the switch i my sister-in-laws car (same year and model) and starts every time. acuras have always had bad switches.