Any right handed shooters aim with their left eye?

Will Carry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm blind in right eye and shoot right handed. A shooting instructor suggested that I tilt my head to the right to better-align the eye with the sights. Dunno if I always tilt the head, but sometimes do.

Years ago it seemed that I'd shoot about any pistol consistently off either to the right or left, can't recall which direction. Possibly somewhat the fault of right hand and left eye. Possibly somewhat bad shooting technique. I liked pistols with adjustable sights to compensate.

The problem has mostly gone away. Factory unadjustable sights are usually close to the point of aim nowadays.

I do. Quite some years back, an instructor told me about natural aim. He told me to take my right hand, and point with my finger. When I did that, he told me not to move, and he put a gun in my hand. The gun was slightly tilted over to the left. He explained that was my natural point position, and it's how I should hold my gun. It worked for me, and it had the added benefit of bringing the sights in line with my left eye, so I'm not twisting my neck at all.

Guest KimberChick
My left eye focuses a lot better than my right but I shoot with my right hand dominant, I was wondering if anyone else has that problem and what they have done about it.

I shoot handguns left-handed but I'm right-eye dominant. I was told I cant my head slightly and that I bring my left hand slightly to the right though I never really notice that I do it.

Guess it's worth a try. My guess is that you're going to look like a member of the Special Olympics shooting team if you can pull it off at all :)

Have you tried shooting left handed? I'm left handed, but have always shot right handed. I can't close my right eye independently without my head imploding. I'm comfortable with a pistol in either hand.

I do. Quite some years back, an instructor told me about natural aim. He told me to take my right hand, and point with my finger. When I did that, he told me not to move, and he put a gun in my hand. The gun was slightly tilted over to the left. He explained that was my natural point position, and it's how I should hold my gun. It worked for me, and it had the added benefit of bringing the sights in line with my left eye, so I'm not twisting my neck at all.

My natural aim is "full homey". I never do it with a two hand stance.

I am left handed, but right eye dominant. Been this way since I was a child. As such, like many left-handers in the right-hander world, I just adapted and learned to do it right handed. It is natural now.

Some folks tilt their head, others learn to shoot with the other hand. At your age, no offense, it might be better to practice tilting your head, maybe find a blinder for your right eye. Relearning how to shoot with your left hand might be too difficult to become natural with.

• Moderators
Aren't we "supposed" to keep both eyes open?
Over the last year or so I have been working on training myself to do this. Sometimes when I am not paying as much attention as I should I still start to close one eye. It happens much less frequently now and I almost always catch myself when I do it.
Guest Drewsett

Having started out on rifles it was natural for me to close one eye when I started with handguns. I first read that you were supposed to keep both eyes open somewhere on here. It took some getting used to, but I do it now and find that I am much more accurate this way.

I always shot right-handed, and aimed with the right eye. Five years ago, a stroke left me with no vision (and I mean none) in my right eye.

It's a struggle to learn to use the opposite eye with handguns, but it's a real pain in the butt with long guns.

You can train yourself, though it takes a lot of practice. You'll also have to find what works best for you. About the only good thing to come out of that stroke, for me, was the realization that I needed to work harder to shoot with either hand. I'm actually a little better, now, left handed than I am right handed. But again, practice and learn what works best in your case.

You may find that becoming a "lefty" when picking up a firearm works well, and at the very least, you can develop a working use with either hand.

right handed, but am left eye dominant .... Have shot both with the right and left eye .... I'm more accurate with my left eye, its just a bit more uncomfortable shoot that way.

As a child I was left handed, and my parents switched everything over and made me do everything with my right hand. Felt I had a better advantage being a right hander instead of a left hander. I still kick and bat lefty. I shoot and write righty ...

I'm just a mixed bag of tricks :) lol

I am rigjt-handed and left-eye-dominant. Not really a big deal since I shoot handguns with both eyes open. I have a shotgun which I also shoot right-handed using only my right (weaker) eye. I've not shot it nearly as much as my handguns so I haven't given it much thought. I'm considering a rifle for my next purchase. Although I shoot handguns often, I didn't grow up around guns so I have very little experience with rifles. I know that some guys keep both eyes open with holographic sights but I'm not sure if I should consider learning to shoot left-handed before buying a rifle. What do you guys think?

Me, too. Right Handed, left eye. I normally compensate, even with both eyes open by altering my stance a bit rather than tilting my head. If you simply shift your stance a couple of degrees to the right, the pistol comes up directly in front of the left eye.

Yeah, we're supposed to. The problem for me is that I don't have a truly dominant eye. I have a very hard time focusing on sights with both eyes open unless I consciously think about with which eye I want to focus.
Guest Lester Weevils

When I was a kid I could shoot the daisy red ryder and dad's old single shot .22 right handed with left eye. The head was smaller and the down-slope angle of the stock on those rifles was pretty large.

My adult head is huge and I don't have any rifles that can shoot right-handed with left eye, even with a scope. The scope would need significant elevation to make it possible. Or maybe mount the scope on the side of the receiver. So I shoot rifles left-handed. Still getting used to it. Have only been shooting rifle a few years as an adult.