1911? :)

Guest carter

I am like you in someways. I don't really care for all the glock vs 1911 or caliber debate. To me, it is all just a bunch of crap. I own both Glocks and 1911s. I own various caliber handguns. I enjoy shooting all of them.

One thing I do not get, and this just isn't related to firearms, is why some feel that they have to dump on other peoples nice things. To make sure their is no misinterpretation, I am not saying that is what you said or even intended. If you read this forum enough I am sure that one will see that someone will make a post showing a nice and expensive weapon they bought, and it is almost a certainty that someone else will take a jab at it. "By God, I can't believe you paid that much money for that. I only paid $50 for mine and it is just as good." Happens all the time. It doesn't really bother me because I buy what I want because it is what I wanted.

In regards to this thread, I doubt anyone's feelings were hurt. Based upon my experience, I stand by what I wrote.

a nicer gun will not turn anyone into a better shooter, only practice will.

That is one statement that I agree with wholeheartedly, and it is the best statement of the thread. I might add that giving a good shooter a better gun he will be even better. You could give Dave Sevigny a mediocre handgun and I bet he will still outshoot most people. Give him a Glock 34, and nobody stands a chance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me at how personal and pi**ed people get over guns. Most people have guns because they love to shoot. I now have several 1911's . Springfield 1911-A1 and RIA. Both gun work great and for what I do, (every other weekend fun shooting) the RIA dead on and can run any thing I put thru it. Granted if I were to go IDPA I might step up to a custom build. But you need to walk before running. If this is your first get a RIA my 2cents

And BTW make mine J&C

Edited by BJB
add
It amazes me at how personal and pi**ed people get over guns.

Its not just guns, it is anything and everything.

I'm sorry for you guys who don't like Dr. Pepper. Its not my fault you don't have good taste for sweetened and carbonated beverages. :lol:

As a American Classic Commander owner, all I can say is I am happy with my purchase.

Compared to a high-end 1911 like my buddy's Dan Wesson and Fusion, you can see and feel the difference in fit, finish and trigger action.

For a stock, non-competition, fun-to-shoot range gun and reliable carry piece, it fit all my wants, needs and desires with Novak-style sights, combat hammer, cool skeletonized trigger and beaver tail safety.

BTW, Mountain Dew is THE King of Carbonation!

Another one to stir the pot. You might want to look at the American Tactical Imports new line of 1911's. I bought their all stainless FX Titan model. It is a

compact 3". I am very happy with mine and it shoots well. It has a very tight fit and finish that rivals some of my higher end pistols for under $500.00.

I thought we were all pals here, having friendly discussions and such. I can cruise through the caliber wars, the 1911 threads, Glock threads, etc., and feel no personal animus. But this last thing...I'm afraid I just can't countenance it, not even a little bit. There's some men out there that are just plain wrong, so allow me to explain:

Dr. Pepper is now, and always shall be, the finest non-alcoholic beverage on the planet. There is no other!:koolaid:

That is all. If you choose to disagree, you choose to be wrong. Someday, your grandchildren will taste the 23 flavors, wonder what was wrong with you, and then hope it wasn't genetic.

I thought we were all pals here, having friendly discussions and such. I can cruise through the caliber wars, the 1911 threads, Glock threads, etc., and feel no personal animus. But this last thing...I'm afraid I just can't countenance it, not even a little bit. There's some men out there that are just plain wrong, so allow me to explain:

Dr. Pepper is now, and always shall be, the finest non-alcoholic beverage on the planet. There is no other!:koolaid:

That is all. If you choose to disagree, you choose to be wrong. Someday, your grandchildren will taste the 23 flavors, wonder what was wrong with you, and then hope it wasn't genetic.

Lmao indeed. But damn if it isn't one of the most volatile substances on earth. Opening one from a vending machine is like opening a soda claymore.

Glock vs. 1911, 9mm vs. .45, etc. same-old-same-old, probably always will be, so no big deal...

What I don't get is that every single time I make a post that amounts to saying "it's the indian not the arrow" or give my opinion that there are some things handgun-related that can't be quantified or measured by price or name-hype, there's always someone who gets their feelings hurt...

That's because some people are neurotic and insecure and insist on trying to bolster or strengthen their own choices by tearing down others. It gives them a sense of superiority... or at least the illusion of it... in an attempt to battle their own pathetic self-image. You'll find that they are that way about EVERYTHING, as a rule; guns, cars, religion, politics, etc. For them to accept that someone else can make as good or better a decision or choice than they have only reinforces their own insecurity, and therefore is unacceptable and taken as a personal affront.

See? Pretty simple to understand. But if you need it even further simplified, here ya go: Some folks are just f'ed up in the head. :P;)

I hope I've been of some help. :D

BTW... Dr. Pepper SUCKS!!! ;):lol::D:koolaid:

Edited by Jamie
Glock vs. 1911, 9mm vs. .45, etc. same-old-same-old, probably always will be, so no big deal...

What I don't get is that every single time I make a post that amounts to saying "it's the indian not the arrow" or give my opinion that there are some things handgun-related that can't be quantified or measured by price or name-hype, there's always someone who gets their feelings hurt...

The OP asked if the RIA is a good deal: it is, no need going into a tirade about what's better do to where it's made or what name is on it. No matter what one spends or how hard they avoid MIM parts like they're kryptonite, a nicer gun will not turn anyone into a better shooter, only practice will.

well said... i just can't justify dropping $1200 on a gun for the name... I'm sure the milling is perfect on those...but it's not worth $1200 perfect to me, I'm shooting it not putting it in a glass case, I was at on tatget shooting my other new piece ( S&W 4006) and there was a gent there buying him a BRAND NEW kimber compact... and noticied the salesman said "yea i think if you pay that much for a gun kimber should offer a life time warranty" i totally agree... just like buying a rolex...NO LIFE TIME WARRANTY... well to let everyone know i broke down and went to Ballshire Hardware and purchased a RIA 1911A1 CS... the first i looked at the safty was a lil too tight...so he went in the back and got another one...BUTTER... this morning...tore it down... lubed it up, had a lil trouble getting her back together (first 1911) but i figured it out... so now...

what extra mags to get, it came with one 7rnd ACT-MAG which looks nice but hard to find...everyone is out of stock online...and i do think i want an extended safty (is that something i can do myelf??) noticed everyone i looked at needed gunsmith fitting... and some COOL GRIPS, i would like to get some novak night sights for it also...

Edited by carter
well said... i just can't justify dropping $1200 on a gun for the name... I'm sure the milling is perfect on those...but it's not worth $1200 perfect to me, I'm shooting it not putting it in a glass case

Along those lines, I can't see paying more because a gun is made in a particular place or by particular people - UNLESS - those particular people just do that much better of a job than someone else does.

If the quality is equal, or at least up to my requirements, then the one that costs less is usually the way I'll go. Chinese, Philippine, Korean, Croatian, American... Doesn't matter as long as the item does what it's supposed to do, and without an undue price tag.

How about if your right arm or hand is disabled for whatever reason?

i was thinking that same thing...plus i like the way it looks ;) sort of makes the right side look a lil better

I hate to carry a 38oz+ (depending on make, rails, etc) handgun on my hip all day. I have only owned less than 10 1911s myself, put together a couple and fiddle with afttermarket from time to time. An acquaintance of mine has a dozen, pre-1945 and couple of Caspian handmades as he was an AMU gunsmith not so long ago and we talk this very subject. Another good friend has over a dozen 1911s, dating back to 1918 up to modern makes in all sizes. And I get to shoot friends' high dollar 1911s whenever I want to. Another friend of mine challenged me to perfect the sub-commander sized 1911 so I could be famous - I gave up on that as well as sub-commander sized 1911s. Heck I just gave up on 1911s. However, my last one was a 5" RIA 9mm and that pistol could shoot. I got more fun out of that gun putting it in other people's hands and let them shoot that thing, especially older dyed in the wool .45 1911 fellas. Another friend, a retired 70-something SF warrant officer and ex-AMU shooter gave me his Mil Spec Armscor 5" .45 1911 that someone had gifted him so that I could put in a couple of parts for him, new trigger, beaver tail and stone a couple of internals. He uses the gun just to make handmade grips mainly, as health prevents him from shooting much, but he likes a nice trigger. That was the easiest to shoot well 1911 I had in my hands lately and again, had several other 1911 fans shoot that pistol to make sure that I wasn't seeing something that wasn't there.

I would suggest that any shooter wanting a either a Gov't or Cdr sized 1911 get one and shoot the tar out of it, learn to completely disassemble it and make parts fit better for a smoother running gun. If you can afford a Les Baer, then go for it and learn to shoot it well. If you can't/won't afford a Les Baer or other hi-dollar 1911 then get a RIA, Armscor, High Standard, Taurus, Springfield, etc.

If you like the 1911, and want to shoot an officer's sized 1911 I suggest you find a relatively inexpensive Star BM (all steel) or Star BKM (alum frame) 9mm. It is just "similar" to the 1911, reliable if you respring it and get an aftermarket firing pin, and ever so easy to carry, cocked and locked. Don't have to tape down that infernal grip safety 'cause it ain't got one;)

Man o' man there are a lot of handguns to try out, and I keep trying as many as I can.

Craig in Clarksville