Holster Poll

Which do you prefer on a pancake style holster?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer on a pancake style holster?

• with thumbstrap
    • without thumbstrap

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you going to open carry? if you are, then I would get the thumbstrap. Otherwise I don't see the point, seems like it would only hinder draw time. But I've never used a holster like that so my opinion may not be worth much.

I've never used one either, so your opinion is as good as mine.

I have a service holster with a thumbstrap for my CZ-82 and it hangs up between the hammer spur and the beavertail when I draw it, but the gun (CZ P-01) that I'm gettying it for doesn't have a spur hammer it has kind of a skeletonized combat hammer, so I don't think it could hang up.

As for open-carry...I'm not much of a fan of it, so I'd never, ever do it.

I am only considering the strap for added retention when getting in/out vehicle, sitting/standing, and bending/moving, but I hear a pancake pulls it in pretty tight. So maybe it's not necessary at all. :(

edit: I'd be interested to hear what I'd be missing out on though from the person(s) who do vote for a thumbstrap.

Edited by BigK
A well made pancake holster is detail molded for retention. You can turn them upside down and shake them vigorously, and the gun stays in place. A thumb strap is merely decoration.

Thanks for the feedback, I did not realize the fit was this snug. My Don Hume IWB for my revolver fits this tight, but I wasn't sure if a pancake would.

Seems like most aren't fans of the thumbstrap, so far.

I like some kind of retention, and have a couple of holsters with thumb straps, but my favorites are the Bianchi Carry-Lok holsters that have a 'release tab' that you hit with your middle finger as you draw to release the gun. I find it really easy and fast to use, and the 'snik' you hear as the mechanism locks the gun into the holster is reassuring. It's also much easier to re-holster than trying to find/engage the snap on a thumb break.

I like some kind of retention, and have a couple of holsters with thumb straps, but my favorites are the Bianchi Carry-Lok holsters that have a 'release tab' that you hit with your middle finger as you draw to release the gun. I find it really easy and fast to use, and the 'snik' you hear as the mechanism locks the gun into the holster is reassuring. It's also much easier to re-holster than trying to find/engage the snap on a thumb break.

That or one with a thumb lock would be nice too, but they aren't available for my CZ. Besides, the High Noon I'm getting is free. I won it in a Christmas drawing on another forum.

The only holster I have with a retention strap is the one I made to carry my Rossi .357 snubbie. Because the barrel is so short and the part where the cylinder rides is such a wide opening, I didn't like the retention that the open top pancake holster I made for it gave - although a pancake with a higher top like in krunchnik's post would probably solve that issue, too - the top of the pancake I made hits just behind the cylinder (it was the first holster I made.) I set the one with a strap up as a 'thumb break' and the strap unsnaps pretty easily but it is still an extra step that slows my draw as compared to the belt slide holster I use for my Ruger P95 or the FOBUS holsters I have for a couple of my other firearms. If you can get a comfortable level of retention without having the extra step of unsnapping a strap then that would be my recommendation.

EDIT: I should have said that the only holster I regularly use for SD carry in public with a retention strap is the one I made for my snubbie. I have others that are used more for carrying around the yard, woods, etc.

Edited by JAB

The Pancake style holster is my favorite and the most comfortable for me. My holster for my SP101 has no strap and is tight enough but when I had my Kimber full size 1911 I had a Galco pancake with the thumb break. I practiced drawing alot with it and got used to it but I would prefer a strapless holster now. I'm going to make a pancake holster for my Glock 21SF with the picitiny rail, and since I don't have all the cool leather tools and skills right now, i'm going to make it with a thumb break retention. If it's secure enough I may remove it. Could leave it a little loose and add a tightening screw like i've seen on some holsters.

Guest The Highlander
Daily carry is a SP101 in a Galco Combat Master strapless

IMG_1305.jpg

I use this holster for a S&W 342Ti. I don't like thumbsnaps, although I do have one on a Bianchi. That setup is a "woods" carry, and I have fallen a time or two, so the extra security is nice. I don't use it for edc other than in the woods though.

Can't find a holster for your handgun, just make one. Not factory pretty, cut out with a box cutter and handstiched but it's strong and holds the gun tight. No thumb break strap either. Had to have a gunbelt too.

JonHolster2.jpg

JonHolster3.jpg

Edited by K191145
Can't find a holster for your handgun, just make one. Not factory pretty, cut out with a box cutter and handstiched but it's strong and holds the gun tight. No thumb break strap either. Had to have a gunbelt too.

JonHolster3.jpg

I saw a concho just like that at the Tandy Leather store this weekend. Ironically, I was there to buy stitching tools, dye, wax, leather, etc. to make one myself. I'm kinda like you in that it needs to be functional first, pretty second. I'll get better at the pretty as I get more experience, but I gotta get the effective part down right the first time. Afterall, leather isn't cheap enough to mess up many times.

Did you find a patter to use or just "eyeball" it?

I want to thank everyone for their feedback.

Like I said up front, this was a free holster that I won in a Christmas Giveaway on another site. High Noon Holsters is one of the site's sponsors and they contributed this prize and I am very grateful to them for being so awesome! Dig this...I emailed which model I wanted and what gun it needed to fit on Sunday (1/2/11) and they informed me Wednesday that it was already heading my way (it was NOT a "stocking item"). By Friday it was in my hands!! Are these guys awesome or what? Their usual turaround time is 10-12 weeks, due to volume.

My choice was ANY holster that sells for under $100. I chose a Slide Guard in black to fit my CZ P-01 and I'm very satisfied with it. I've been wearing it all weeekend and I can't believe how comfy it is. It fits my gun perfectly and holds nice and tight when it's on my belt. The height/cant are perfect for me and reholstering is easy/instinctual.

This is my first OWB holster (not counting paddles) and I am now a big fan of the pancake style. My belt doesn't even feel like there's any load on it, which is a HUGE improvement over my IWB holsters that dig into my hip when I tighten my belt enough to keep my pants from sagging.

Well, here's some pics of it...

5341182507_1dbd9c257e_z.jpg

Slide Guard front by BigK

5341182073_d89e09a638_z.jpg

Slide Guard w/ CZ P-01 by BigK

Here's the back:

5341182803_0bc09ed66d_z.jpg

Slide Guard back by BigK