list the weirder things that you have eaten

Guest pontiac_fiero_g

Lets see here, I did 20 years in the Navy and in every port I would eat what and where the local ate. Lets start off with balut, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg) in the PI. Cuddlefish in Korea, Cuttlefish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Giant bugs in Thailand, Thai Insects / Maeng Kee Noon and who knows what all I ate in Indonesia and Malaysia. LOL

I also did a tour as a SERE (survival) Inst. and I ate anything that I could out in the field to teach the students. Potato bugs, grasshoopers, rattle snack, rats. I have chewed the eyes out of mammals skulls for the electrolyte. Brains, sure why not. Add a bit of water and mash 'em up and scramble them like eggs. The point is to teach students that they HAVE to leave thier food aversions home in a survival situation. I also used canned cat food as a teaching point. Under the Geneva Conventions it is permissable to steal to effect your survival and escape. Thats not to say you wont be dealt with if cought by the loclals, but by law you are allowed. With that said, if you B/E someones home you dont want to take very much in the hopes they wont notice it missing. Canned foods are best since they store and keep easily. And if pet food is handy take it. I dont care what the label says, it ALL tastes the same. Crappy. LOL

Edited by buck1032
spelling
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I had eaten some wierd things (bugs, worms, McRibs, Sushi, rattlesnake, squirrel bbq, etc.) but some of you should get checked by a doctor.....wow!

Armadillo...the prettiest white meat you ever saw! Of course this was 45 years ago, back home in Texas, BEFORE we knew all the pestilence those critters carry! But, mighty tasty! .......Say, could you pass the Grey Poupon please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also eaten a few weird things, but the only one that hasn't been already mentioned is horse. I ate a bacon-wrapped filet of horse while on a business trip in Italy. It was excellent. The texture was a little more grainy than beef with a little different flavor. But honestly, if I didn't know it was horse, I would've thought it was beef.

But the weirdest thing by far... McRib. Or maybe cafeteria food in high school. :popcorn:

Many of you guys have me beat. I've had curried goat from a corner stand at a bazaar on the French side of St. Martin. I've had frog's legs, squirrel (didn't care for it - tasted bitter, to me), rabbit, a little bit of turtle and a damn coon that ate some of my chickens (figured I'd return the favor - put it on the smoker, pulled the meat and made a home-made barbecue sauce and on a bun it tasted a lot like barbecue beef, to me, though the texture was different.)

I like sushi (but not that California roll crap) and really like octopus sushi, although I must admit that the eel (unagi) is probably my favorite. Heck, I even like me some escargots and will eat the heck out of those snails if they are prepared right. I'd think I'd have to be downright starving before I'd put a male reproductive organ in my mouth, regardless of the species and I'd rather try cooking my boot than eat a possum. Hell, I think I'd eat a buzzard before I'd eat something that will crawl into the mouth of a dead cow, eat its way through and come out the other end. I have heard that groundhog is some of the best eating around and wouldn't mind trying some of that.

Edited by JAB

A lot of this stuff doesn't sound all that odd if you have lived and traveled outside the US. Did you know iguana tails break off as a defensive tool when they are caught? We could clean out the attic in the jungle and eat for a week! They grow back so PETA shouldn't be too upset. I raised 200 to 300 guinea pigs at a time in Peru to sell to finance an orphanage. One pig with a baked potato is a major meal for a normal sized eater.

I can't seem to post photos so look here to see a real man's meal:

Cuy.jpg

Cherokee Slim

Edited by Bronker
Inserted photo for you.
A lot of this stuff doesn't sound all that odd if you have lived and traveled outside the US. Did you know iguana tails break off as a defensive tool when they are caught? We could clean out the attic in the jungle and eat for a week! They grow back so PETA shouldn't be too upset. I raised 200 to 300 guinea pigs at a time in Peru to sell to finance an orphanage. One pig with a baked potato is a major meal for a normal sized eater.

I can't seem to post photos so look here to see a real man's meal:

Pictures by Cherokee_Slim - Photobucket

Cherokee Slim

You are undoubtedly right. Even eating dog doesn't seem odd when one considers that some places raise them for food - they aren't eating Fi Fi or Spike because he or she peed in the floor one too many times. That I can understand. Still, killing a dog that actually is the family pet to feed anyone - honored guest or not - just seems wrong.

Then, again, I've had my dog (yeah, a chihuahua) for nearly sixteen years. More than once when living in the bad part of Knoxville she woke me up with warning barks letting me know someone was trying to break in (the mere presence of Mr. Colt seems to have changed their minds once they saw that he was 'home') - which means that she has quite possibly literally saved my life. I'd be about as likely to feed the honored guest to her as I would be to feed her to the guest.

Edited by JAB

The dog they killed was about beagle sized. It was a real family event. The kids cried, dad killed and cleaned it and mom cooked it. It ended up with a green color in the tortillas it was served in. I don't know if they added spices that made it that color or dog meat is just green after cooking. I didn't see any but that doesn't mean anything. They were Mapuche indians many hours west of Santiago Chile by bus and oxcart.

Cherokee Slim

I've had Kangaroo in some of those Buffalo Bob meat sticks but what with the spices and the fact that (iirc) the Buffalo Bob meat sticks often blend the game meat in question with beef or pork I couldn't really tell much difference between it and a regular, ol' Slim Jim. I've also tried the other varieties, including the alligator. Come to think of it, I've had fried gator tail, too - which I guess really isn't all that weird.

This thread makes me think of a joke - I think it was from Justin Wilson (this is my retelling of it):

A city fellah, on a trip to the country, comes across a backwoods boy carrying a dead chicken hawk. "Where di you get that hawk?", asked the city slicker. "I shot 'im," came the reply. "I see," said the city boy, getting curious, "well, what are you going to do with it, now?" The country boy, surprised by the question, said, "Why, I'm gonna eat 'im." The city slicker had never heard of eating a chicken hawk so he just had to ask, "Really? What does a chicken hawk taste like?" The country boy, in a matter of fact voice, answered, "Oh, 'bout like an owl."

Lets see...

Monkey

Chicken Feet

Kapenta (African minnow/sardine)

Bushmeat (Kill of the day.. I have no idea what it was... could have been kudu could have been rat)

Mopani Worms

Piranha (black and red)

Many other stange fish from the Amazon that I don't know the name of.

Goat Head

Testicals of the above mentioned goat.

Go to the soviet state of California and hit China town you can buy freakin anything there. I am not sure what all I have shoved down, I try a little of everything in the countries I have visited. I had a friend I met on our last cruise that was from one of the central American countries, we hung out in all of the places we docked in and he did the ordering in most, he did a lot of snickering as I was eating but it has not killed me yet.

how was the monkey? and where if anyplace can i legally purchase some here in the states?

Yea my list doesnt' compare to some of the mentioned ones but as far as weird goes,I've eaten cat at a restaurant that got shut down for serving it, of course when i ate it i thought it was chicken so guess it wasn't bad and now I don't think it would bother me to kill one and eat it lol, 2nd was Cow tongue which is actually awesome just weird knowing it's a tongue but still good meat, 3rd snails they ain't bad at all and no not french prepared ones just ones off the back porch when i was younger lol, 4th fish eyes which aren't bad just salty and high in protein,all kinds of insides of creatures as well fish heart,fish liver,squirrel heart, as far as possum and all that goes that's like normal food around here around the older folks lol so that actually doesn't seem weird to me lol

2nd was Cow tongue which is actually awesome just weird knowing it's a tongue but still good meat,

I have had beef tongue prepared two, different ways. The first is a 'Mexican' treatment (lingua) - in tacos, etc. at various taquerias around here. I usually get at least one taco so filled any time I eat at one of those taquerias. In that form, it is chopped up and you probably wouldn't even know what it was if you didn't already know. The other was at a Columbian restaurant that used to be in Cleveland, TN. They cooked it using some kind of stewing method and served pretty much just a chunk of tongue (pretty easily recognizable as such) covered in what they called a Creole sauce (different from Louisiana creole - I think this had mango in it along with onions and spices.) That was one of the best damned things I have eaten in a long time and we went back a few times so I could have it, again, even when we had no other reason to go that direction from Loudon. My wife, who wasn't interested in the beef tongue, got a steak that had the same sauce, etc. and I swear the tongue was better, more tender and had more flavor. Throw in a little yucca and some plantains and get out of my way! Unfortunately, the place is closed now. If I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell of me getting it right, I'd buy a beef tongue (they sell them in some of the meat departments around here) and cook one up, myself.

Oh, and that actually reminds me of another joke:

Guy goes into a diner and asks the waitress what the special of the day is. "Oh, honey," she answers, "the cook has something special today. He has beef tongue and it might sound a little weird but I promise it is delicious." The customer, however, wasn't convinced and said, "No, thanks. I ain't eating anything that came out of some animal's mouth. Just bring me a couple of eggs."

Edited by JAB