About to enter 1911 world

Guest nosnos

I'm really excited. I have sold one American classic (a Fender stratocaster) and plan to buy a different, greater American classic (a 1911). I have about $600 to work with is all, and I'm leaning towards the Springfield MilSpec Parkerized.

Is there anything I should know about 1911's before I get it? All parts are pretty much upgradeable after market, right?

Just excited to share my success. My wife didn't want me to sell my Strat, until the right deal on a 1911 came along and we needed to pay for it. She loves .45's. ;)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoker... you can make more money with the guitar, you can take more money with the gun. Head across to the Murder Mart, you should do quite well. ;)

Yes, for the most part, 1911's will be interchangeable, in the mil-spec variety. Some are not; the tightness that has become desirable (?) in recent years to make them target guns has dinked with the reliability and interchangeability of the slightly looser mil-spec, the way JMB designed it.

Trust me, Mikey, I ain't making ANY money with that Strat. I suck. I bought a real nice nylon string to replace it though. More space for my fat fingers! ;)

The Mil-Spec hasn't got the really tight tolerances of many of the target 1911's, is that right? I'm getting the one I am because I want a pretty true-to-design 1911. I think Browning was the man...

I'm really excited. I have sold one American classic (a Fender stratocaster) and plan to buy a different, greater American classic (a 1911). I have about $600 to work with is all, and I'm leaning towards the Springfield MilSpec Parkerized.

Is there anything I should know about 1911's before I get it? All parts are pretty much upgradeable after market, right?

Just excited to share my success. My wife didn't want me to sell my Strat, until the right deal on a 1911 came along and we needed to pay for it. She loves .45's. ;)

While a mil-spec is of course "upgradeable", you should know that the best replacement parts are almost all oversized, and will need fitting to one degree or another.

Guest gw2and4

I had that same model and traded out of it. The next starter 1911 I get will have dove tail cuts for sights (the SA mil-spec did not). I'll also probably go stainless. YMMV, but the tolerances were sloppy loose on that thing and it still wouldn't function reliably. Probably my lack of skills with a real steel gun to blame there, since I'm a Glock guy. Going from my Glock 23 to the SA mil-spec felt like getting out of my Jetta and getting into a beat-up old GMC truck. It'll get you there and be more useful in some scenarios--but you're gonna feel every bump along the way. Just my $0.02. While those statements may induce a myopic rant from some, I thought I'd offer my own experience in the event you have experience with a tupper-gun platform and wanted a frame of reference. Also you mentioned the plan to upgrade and I had similar thoughts originally. The thing that complicated my scenario was the fact that I won the gun in a competition and was unable to choose for myself. I fell into the trap of beginning with a mil-spec platform with plans to upgrade and learn about the greatest pistol platform in history along the way. Just didn't work out like I planned...

Best of luck with your 1911 endeavors.

PS-I traded it in at Franklin Gun for a very fair price considering I'd won it. If it's still there, it had one hell of a sweet trigger done by Sam Hoster. And I only put about 400 rounds through it before trading it. PM for the serial number if I interested.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest gw2and4
Once you enter the 1911 world you will see that are no exit doors!:D

I managed to find one. And it was made of polymer :P:hiding: but I'll be back soon, without a doubt.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Hey, OP! Welcome to the wonderful world of the good ol' American 1911! I've had both the Springfield GI and the Mil-spec and they're both fantastic guns. I wouldn't worry in the least about tolerances, and the park'd finish is incredibly tough. Differences over the GI, as I'm sure you've noticed, are that the Mil-spec comes with 2 mags, 2 sets of grips, has angled slide serrations, a lowered and flared ejection port, beveled mag well, undercut trigger guard, and 3-dot sights. All parts are pretty easily replaced, and there are plenty of aftermarket drop-in parts that do not require sizing, but you won't know how they work in your particular specimen until you try. As others have said, a big part of the allure of the 1911 is that it's not really a gun...it's a platform...and replacing parts is a strong addiction.

I really couldn't recommend another 1911 in that price range. I say go for it, and happy shooting!

Guest gw2and4
I would avoid anything that doesn't have a dovetailed front sight--not very many aftermarket options for staked sights. I'm too lazy to check the SA website, but I don't think the gun you are looking at has one.

It doesn't, unless they changed the design since last year (doubtful, but possible). This is one of the major reasons why I traded out of the one I had...

My first 1911 was a Springfield GI. I still have it. It has been ultra reliable and fun just as it came outta the box.

I also have a Rock Island Officer size. The finish on the Springfield was perhaps a little better than the RIA, but if I had it to do over again I would strongly consider a full size RIA as an entry level option.

Heck of a bargain at the price point they go for.

Guest 10mm4me

Save your money and get a Colt XSE Gov't. You can get 'em for about $900 and cheaper if u find a used one. Springfield frames are made in Brazil. Do you want a 1911 made in Brazil? I don't.

If American-made is what you're after, you might also check out the Remington R1 for about the same price as the Mil-spec. From a feature standpoint, it blends the GI and Mil-spec models so you still end up with a beveled mag well, 3-dot sights (dovetailed, front and rear), and lowered and flared ejection port. You also pick up a stainless barrel and bushing and a Series 80 firing pin block (if you like that sort of thing). Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte had one in the case a few weeks ago. You might give them a call if you're interested.

Edited by cptdean
Corrected the ejection port description
I'm not a 1911 owner and would love to be, but for $600 you could buy a Rock Island Match. It's a worth a look.

+1 and I am a 1911 owner. Check out Bellshire on Gun Broker.com Rock Island Match $600. I have a RIA Tactical and a Match and the Match is alot of gun for the $$.

Just saw your from Nashville go down to Bellshire they are in Nashville and are great people to deal with.

Edited by crossfire
add to post

As always, you guys give a lot to think about. The thing is, I can get this Mil-Spec for a SMOKING deal, and sell it off if I need to upgrade, and probably come out ahead, even selling it used.

Didn't realize that about the front sight... Hmmm...

Thanks for all the input. The boss has something against RIA (she thinks they're cheap and refuses to look into it any more than that... ha ha) but that Remington might be worth a look.

--------

Metro Arms are great for the money. I have said it before and I will say it again. The frame to slide fit is better than my Colt. The Metro also shoots better than my Colt. It comes with a lot of great features. I am coming up on 1,000 trouble free rounds through mine. The only problem I had was the barrel bushing seemed to develop a crack but I planned on replacing it from day one anyways.

I have about $600 in mine now and it is as good as any 1,000 gun. It shoots better than I can and is reliable enough for me to use is as my primary carry gun.

If you are ever in the Knoxville area you are more than welcome to come by and shoot my Metro Arms and my Colt to compare the two.

Dolomite

For your money, I would recommend the Remington, but inspect it first hand before buying. Some have better quality, I refused 1 shipment from my FFL before I got a great one. If you want a 1911 made in the USA, that is the best you can get for $600.00 IMHO

All things considered, I'd agree with the herd that the Remington may be the all-around best choice for your situation. On the other hand, don't worry too much about the front sight issue on the Mil-spec. Both Trijicon and Meprolight make a stake-on tritium front sight for 1911s and your LGS should be able to install it for you. Just depends on the deal your getting and what you want your options to be with that gun. The reality is you'll probably end up with 4-5 1911s anyway, so it doesn't really matter which one you start with. :D

I always try to steer friends clear of GI model 1911's unless they happen to be into the nostalgic aspects of them or maybe some kind of WWII buff or something. Seems there is almost always an obligatory "I'll upgrade as I see fit..." statement that comes along when someone starts to talk about getting one, if changing it from GI-spec is part of the plan from the get-go, then it's better IMO to just start out by choosing another model that's already further along to where you want to end up. Upgrades should be real upgrades that add to what you're after, not just changing out regular stuff that isn't up to snuff.

For $600 you can get a real decent piece, if you go used you can get an excellent piece. For that number I'd recommend an RIA Tactical (they're just over $400, leaving you funds for mags/holsters and maybe a couple immediate upgrades), or the RIA Match that was mentioned... $30-50 more will get you an STI Spartan and that's a gun where you won't need to upgrade anything.

Be mindful too that the 1911-world is filled with lots of very differing perspectives, be sure you distinguish the advice you get from those who are focused on shooting/performance and those who are focused more towards the collector/novalty slant and where you fit in, where it's made, or how pretty the finish is has nothing to do with how good it'll shoot.

Good luck.