Chinese SKS

bucnball

A good friend of lengthy acquaintance just purchased a cosmoline packed SKS at a pawn shop in a neighboring county. He paid a little over $250 and is pleased that we could still find a good`un that hadn`t seen much service or abuse! We spent about 2 hours cleaning the goo out of the action and stock (Dawn dish detergent seems to work best acccording to Dave).What`s the best concise reference on the SKS ? When did the Russians introduce the Chinese to manufacturing them? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks , bucnball

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chinese Type 56 (1956-): Numerous minor tweaks, including lack of milling on the bolt carrier, partially or fully stamped (as opposed to milled) receivers, and differing types of thumb rest on the takedown lever. The Chinese continually revised the SKS manufacturing process, so variation can be seen even between two examples from the same factory. All of the Type 56 carbine rifles have been removed from military service, except a few being used for ceremonial purposes. Type 56 carbines with serial numbers below 9,000,000 have the Russian-style blade-type folding bayonet, while those 9,000,000 and higher have a "spike" type folding bayonet. Some early examples are known as "Sino-Soviet", meaning they were produced by China, but with cooperation from Russian "advisers" who helped regulate the factories and provided the design specifications.

I mentioned to a person on another site that the shop had a Yugo for 235 +tics and tax. When I went to pick mine up the owner said he sold the yugo and 3 others he had. Pretty good.

I have never seen a rifle as loaded up with cosmolene as bad as this one. Bucnball and I worked on it at his house for more than an hour. When I got it home I stripped it and scrubbed cosmo for 2 more hours...still not enough...took it apart againg and whailed on it some more. NOW it all fits. The shop owner said he'd had a bunch of sks's come in with people calling them commie junk..."one shot and the damn thing jammed!" Clean it up and they're fine. I spent some time at Pendleton range trying to qualify with a greased up M1....I finally got the marines there to let me clean it. It was a cruddy as the SKS. Those war manufactured M1's ain't the best gun either. The machine work on the sk is about the same as the WW2 m1's

Guest Revelator

I need to get an SKS like yesterday, while they're still plentiful and less than three bills. I could use my c&r license to get a Yugo online, but I think I could get a better deal from a local shop. At the downtown pawn shop here in Memphis they quoted me 240 for a Yugo that had a pistol grip and folding stock, and said they'd waive the tics fee. Ammo is cheap too. Aim surplus has a great deal on 7.62 x39 right now.

My brother in law bought a '54 Tula SKS for $250 and laughed when I offered him his money back. The only one I ever owned was a Chinese with folding spike bayonet. I bought it back in 1990 when nobody had ammo and I didn't have dies yet. Clean the cosmo out good and they're almost indestructible.

I own 2 of em (Both Norinco's) & I couldn't be happier with them. :up: Not the most accurate gun ever made but they are robust & reliable.

Had 2 Norinco Paratrooper SKSs, they worked well. Also had a Tula but didn't understand all the hoopla about the particular one I had so traded it. I thought the 16" barrelled Paratroopers were more practicle. Now I don't have any SKS's just one D-Technique VZ58.

Craig

Guest Keinengel

You can get a blade bayo and a compatible stock (most Norinco stocks are cut for the spike style) for very little if you wanted. I've owned 3 in the past. A norinco, a Yugo and the reasonably rare Cugir. The norincos are pretty good and quite frankly I had more problems out of my Yugo than the Norinco. The only thing that irritates me about them is the price increase over the recent years. I bought all 3 of my SKS' for less than 200 dollars and this was back in early 2007.

Guest Broomhead

Use Non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner to get the cosmo off, then clean as usual. Keep it off the wood though, it will remove the finish. Brake cleaner is made to dissolve grease.

I have been using a hand held steam cleaner to get cosmoline out of the mil-surp rifles I have bought. It is pressurized and does a seriously great job.

I would like to find a good deal on an SKS, kinda wish I had stocked up when you could still find them for under $100...

I have 3 SKS rifles. 2 Chinese and a Yugo. The first China SKS I bought when the Clinton so called assualt ban was on. Paid $143.00 for it. Second China SKS at a gun show in Nashville, TN. It was $90.00+tax. This one I got for my son. It has a beautiful colored stock. The Yugo I bought when I had a C&R lic. Paid $99.00 from Aim. I really like this one. Bayonet and granade launcer. I think it is good as the Russian SKS. I would like to get a Russian SKS, but the price of them now is way to high. I rember when you could get a Russian SKS for $99.00. Messed up on that deal. gearyr

I bought a new in the box Noricno at a show for $69. I told my father we ought to buy the entire table of them. He just laughed at me. That idea sounds better to him today than it did then. That was about the time I bought a Winchester M1 carbine for $150. As Archie Bunker says: Those were the days!"

Bought my Chinese one back in the early 90's has the issued red fiberglass stock (jungle issue I am told) with sling and cleaning kit and a wood stocked one for my Dad both for $112.00

handy carbine class rifle ballistics are somewhere around a .30-30 if I remember correctly..

John