Best Subcompact 9mm

MrBrian

I recently bought my first firearm (Glock 19 Gen 4) and it's a great pistol, but I've decided I need something smaller for CCW. I'm looking for a solid gun that's both small and fun to shoot (I know that's hard to find) I'm sticking with the 9mm over the .380. I'll probably be carrying it IWB or just in my cargo pants pocket.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your Glock 19-4 have a #3 recoil spring or a #4? Mine has a #3 which is heavier, I understand now they are putting the lighter #4 spring in them becuase the #3 spring doesn't feed low speed target ammo as well. I shoot Winchester white box in my G-19-4 without a hitch. As a matter of fact it has never failed with any ammo.

I carry a little 380 pocket pistol but I am looking at getting one in 9mm. I understand the Ruger LC-9 is a handful...but that's kinda what I want, if you know what I mean.

The spring has a number on the end of the spring that points toward to shooter.

Guest RichieRich

I love my XD9 sc. If you're looking at 9mm, give it a close look.

That said, since I got my Ruger LCP, that's become my pretty much exclusive (pocket) carry piece. Yes, I've paid close attention to the 380 vs 9 discussion, but the ease of carry means a lot to me. I haven't looked the the LC9, but I'd encourage you to give that a look if you're interested in 9mm and small.

My glock does have the newer 04 spring in it and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it... i've shot S&B FMJ 115 and 147 grain, Independence FMJ 115 grain, and Federal JHP +P+ and all of them shoot very well (the Federal JHP are fun)

I have looked at the LC9, I like the size but when I picked it up it felt a little cheap, because the polymer frame... Haven't shot it yet... I've heard mixed reviews

I've also looked at the Ruger SR9c.... how comfortable is it IWB?

The Kahr PM9 looks nice, but I don't like how it hangs up when you pull the slide back... In a high stressed situation... would I remember to release that slide if I'm used to the Glock...

Loving the opinions, keep them coming

Really, the PPK and the PPS are so different, there really is no comparison. It has a polymer grip frame with an aluminum alloy insert. The slide and barrel are steel. The difference between the PPK and PPK/S is distinct. The PPK style pistols are simple blowback style actions and only come in .32ACP or .380ACP. The PPS uses a locked breech action like most modern semi-auto pistols. It comes in a 9mm or .40 S&W calibers. The PPK style pistols are also traditional double/single action pistols and the PPS is a striker fired pistol.

If you are a Glock guy, you'll find that the PPS is very similar to your Glock 19 except that it's a single stack and much thinner.

I have heard great things about Kel Tec's 9mm. Does anybody have experience with this? I shot my freinds Kel Tec .380 this weekend and it was a great little pocket carry gun. He has carried it for over 6 years without any issues. I want one in 9mm and am wondering if anybody has one of these.

I carry a XD9 sub compact and it does well, I am corfortable with it in most situations. I do carry a 2nd full size mag with it also. I also looked at a few different single stacked hand guns but they did not feel very good in my hand. You should go with what feels good to you in hand as long as its a quality weapon.

A big +1 for LCP for discrete pocket carry.

I won't comment on the LC9 except to say that I don't like the price or the feel of the gun.

As far as the PPS, I'd like to try a 9mm version. I have, for a short time longer, a PPS 40. The size is good for pocket or belt carry. But...it's a very hard hiting shooter. Felt like shooting full-load 357 rounds out of an airweight or lighter revolver.

However, as with all things...your opinion may vary.

I haven't ruled the Glock 26 out completely... my dad has the 27 but it seems to be a little thicker than I'm wanting to carry IWB... if I was gonna carry the 26 IWB then I would just go ahead and carry my 19 IWB and have the extra firepower... Looking for a slimmer gun

Guest brandon_pitt
The XD9 would be my choice, due to dependability and warranty.

No surprise because of my avatar but I'm +1ing the xd SC 9mm.

XD9SC is my favorite pistol. It's good to go. But switching from a Glock to a XD is like switching from a SUV to a sports car, IMO. It's going to take some getting used to because they both drive so differently (at least to me).

Also been looking at the Kahr CM9--everybody loves those.

Edited by Jon_L

Some thing to consider is what I have noticed that a shorter barrel(my Glock 26/27) doesnt carry as well IWB as a longer barrel(my Glock 23), less to stabalize it. I like a XDSC(sub glock also) as much as the next guy but I don't think you'll notice much weight/ size savings over a Glock 19, It's there but not that noticeable. I would look for something thinner than a glock as the XD in some aspects is thicker.

XD9SC is my favorite pistol. It's good to go. But switching from a Glock to a XD is like switching from a SUV to a sports car, IMO. It's going to take some getting used to because they both drive so differently (at least to me).

Also been looking at the Kahr CM9--everybody loves those.

I shoot a G27 and XD40sc and haven't noticed any difficulty switching between them. I carry the G27 more often, as the wife prefers the XD.

I have the Keltec PF9 and the Kahr PM9. They're both excellent pocket pistols. I far prefer the pocket pistols for ease, comfort and convenience. There are several very good pocket holster available.

I would leave the pistol at home if I had the fumble with a OWB or IWB holster everyday.

Both these pistols carry just as easily as the Ruger LCP, and they shoot better (at least for me). I use to carry the LCP and changed to the 9mm.

I carry a beretta px4 subcompact, mine is .40 but it comes in 9mm. It will fit in a large pocket, but its not quite a pocket gun and larger than the kel-tec and similar DAO guns (its DA). Never had any trouble out of it, accurate and feels good to me, heavy with lighter recoil than the plastic stuff.