.357 MAG

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of Dan Wesson revolvers. They were designed as target guns, and .357 seems to be the most common chambering. Since CZ bought DW, they still provide service and parts, but no new wheelguns for now. They occasionally show up for sale in the $300's ( I missed out on one for $250 recently.)

Guest boatme99

Look into Ruger Security-six. Around $350. Built like a tank. Blue or stainless, 2 3/4" to 6" barrel. One of Rugers finest.

Guest FastMover

SP101 all the way. I got this gem for 300.00 and have since added a Meprolight night sight then shot the piss of of it.

782573890_photobucket_3450_-1.jpg

Edited by FastMover

These guys know their wheel guns. If you want quality and affordability, then Ruger Security Six, Speed Six and GP-100 are the only choice you have. Smith and Wesson used to make some of the greatest revolvers ever made but the old ones are in great demand and the new may or may not be of good quality. Either way Smith and Wesson revolvers are over priced. Taurus makes some affordable .357, so does Rossi, Charter Arms and EAA but these guns are one teer below the Rugers. I have a GP-100 4" and it's a great gun but the .357 I like the best is a single action Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .357.

I have more fun shooting .357 revolvers than any other gun I own. The .357 is still the King in my book. :D

RUKNVRB35.jpg

SP101 all the way. I got this gem for 300.00 and have since added a Meprolight night sight then shot the piss of of it.

782573890_photobucket_3450_-1.jpg

I need one of those ........I tried a security six and did not like that style,i prefer the traditional double action

Ruger seems to be a good deal i need to locate a clean one - im scared to buy online fearing I may get someones headake

but ill look out

Guest FastMover
I need one of those ........I tried a security six and did not like that style,i prefer the traditional double action

Ruger seems to be a good deal i need to locate a clean one - im scared to buy online fearing I may get someones headake

but ill look out

Ruger SP101's really define reliabilty. Mine was rough looking when I got it but a detail strip and a healthy amount of Mother's polish cleaned it up nicely. They also come in a 3in model that REALLY looks tough but the 2.25in fits my wheel gun carry needs better.

Take a look at Taurus's models 617 and 66. 617s can be had for 3560 to 375 and 66s around 400 to 420. Various lengths, 7 shot, blue and stainless. I have a 2 inch 617 and love it. I even pocket carry it in cooler weather.

I have a Taurus 66 that (according to the serial number lookup on their website) seems to have been built in 1986 (or maybe it was '87 - can't remember for certain, right now.) When I found that out, I couldn't believe it because it honestly looks like it couldn't be more than a year or two old - I'm guessing previous owners never shot it, much. It has done well with everything I have put through it, including .357 loads ranging from 110 grain HP to Buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast as well as some .38 Special FMJ. It has the 'comfy' rubber grips (I think they were made by Hogue) on it and adjustable rear sights. Now, I am no expert on nice triggers as I pretty much just shoot my guns the way they come but the trigger on that 66 is wonderful. Not necessarily 'short' but very, very smooth (at least to my mind.) In fact, the only revolver with a comparable trigger I have ever held was a custom S&W that was set up to be a target revolver with a trigger that was set up for that purpose.

At the same time that I bought my 66, the LGS had an old Ruger Service Six. Being a Ruger, I knew it would be built like a tank and possibly (probably) stronger than the Taurus. Two things caused me to choose the Taurus, however:

1. The trigger pull on the Taurus kicked the crap out of the Ruger trigger pull and

2. I wanted to possibly use it as a backup gun when hunting which means the barrel has to be a minimum of 4 inches. The Taurus measured out to four inches from the front edge of the cylinder but the Ruger (which was supposed to be a four inch model) measured out to just a bit under four inches. I didn't want to take any chances with legality.

Mine being an older model, it is only a six shooter (the newer 66 models are 7 shooters but the older ones aren't.) I am actually glad to have gotten an older model because I have heard that Taurus' quality control - which had gotten pretty good for a while - has been slipping for the last, few years. The sticker price on this one was less than $300 (sorry the pic is a bit blurry):

S5002635.jpg

Edited by JAB
I'm a big fan of Dan Wesson revolvers. They were designed as target guns, and .357 seems to be the most common chambering. Since CZ bought DW, they still provide service and parts, but no new wheelguns for now. They occasionally show up for sale in the $300's ( I missed out on one for $250 recently.)

Agreed, I had a DW 357 w/ 8" HV barrel. Great shooting gun, very accurate. Should

have kept it. Traded for a DW 44 mag to hunt with...got stolen.

If you can find one at that price, better grab it. Don't think you'll be sorry. JMHO

Guest Keinengel

I used to own a Dan Wesson Model 15 "6 and it was one hell of a shooter. Very accurate. They aren't as common as the rugers or Taurus but they are damn good quality and in the same or lower price range.

My preference is either a S&W M-19 or M-27 for a good .357, but for your purposes I believe a good Ruger Security Six or GP100 will save you money while still providing excellent service.

My first handgun was a used 19. I should have kept it.

Guest Roadkill Bill

Congratulations. The 686 is an excellent choice. I was going to suggest a K frame, but the L frame is even better. You're gonna really enjoy shooting it, too.:koolaid: