Nashville Gun Show

Just went to the Nashville show and a guy I have seen running a table for a quiet sometime got me so mad. I have a S&W Pre 29 and he ask what I had and how much I wanted for it. I said I really did not want to sell it but if he wanted to give me $xx amount I would sell it to him. He looked at the gun and said that the barrel had been changed and it was only worth about a 3rd what I was asking. I ask him how he could tell the barrel was not original. He went on to tell me that it did not have the SN in the ejector slot so that meant new barrel. I told him that I had read somewhere that a lot of the Pre 29 did not have the SN in the slot; his response was basically you don’t know what you are talking about. I was about 99% sure I was right but I had a headache so I left it at that.

When I got home I looked it up and found I was right. I know it is stupid but I started getting mad about it. This guy I have seen for sometime with tables at gun shows would stand there and lie right to my face about a gun so he could steal it from me and turn around and sell it for more than I ask for it in the first place.

I would like to tell everyone here who it was but I can’t decide if it would be right to do that. The more I think about I don’t know if he was lying are he is stupid but from the many times I have talked to him I would have to go with the 1st. I can say I will never stop at his table again.

There are idiots and crooks in every business. Without knowing him, I can't of course give an opinion which he is. Unfortunately in the gun selling business there are plenty of both examples. You don't have to prove any knowledge of guns to have a business buying and selling them. The idiots will tell you anything based on their own narrowmindedness or ignorance. The crooks will tell you anything they think will get you to sell them a gun for less, or to buy a gun for more than it's worth.

The SS number being behind the ejector, inside the cylinder housing, has no relation to the barrel being original or having been replaced.

I was pissed about the new $5.00 parking fee to get in and then having to pay $8.00 more to get into the show. If they keep this up, I wont be going anymore.

That was just passed in the last couple of weeks. I suspect it is there to stay and I am sure it will hurt business eventually. At present most people still aren't aware of the new charge.

Know how you feel, but crooks and idiots aren't just limited to the gun business.

There are a lot of folks who know everything about everything ...:screwy: ... or at least feign to ... and I've always heard that you can't fix stupid. My guess is that you can't fix crooked, either.

Then there's folks like me, who don't know diddly squat about much of anything. But they say that "ignorance is bliss." Guess that's why I'm in my happy place most of the time. :D

That was just passed in the last couple of weeks. I suspect it is there to stay and I am sure it will hurt business eventually. At present most people still aren't aware of the new charge.

I'd bet that it's just one more tactic by Dean and his cronies to get rid of the fairgrounds. Even if saved by the August referendum, he'd use the gate moies somewhere else, or when the attendance dropped, say " I told you the fairgrounds were a losing proposition."

Guest coldblackwind

Yeah, you need to be careful about things like that. A lot of people will give you bad information in an attempt to lower your price, or to inflate their own. I'm sure if it had been you buying the gun from him it likely would have been in absolutely top condition, and worth twice the great deal he was willing to offer you (your asking price). I have a feeling I could probably guess who it was pretty darn quick.

As for the $5 parking, I did pretty good today but that puts it up to $13 to get in for 1 day. I can get into RK for the whole weekend for $10, $9 with a coupon off their website. I don't think I'm willing to pay that much to get into that show, so if they keep charging for the parking, you won't be seeing me there.

I have a feeling I could probably guess who it was pretty darn quick.

I don't usually go to the Fairgrounds shows, but I've run into a similar guy at the RK shows. You just have to be an educated buyer/ seller, especially in today's world.

I'm sure I lnow which guy you are referring to. I know he's been there for 30 years, and he's asked about nearly every gun I've ever brought into the show. I now refrain from slowing down; let alone looking at his table. When he starts to ask about a gun I'm carrying, I don't slow down and quickly say "NOT FOR SALE!"

I was pissed about the new $5.00 parking fee to get in and then having to pay $8.00 more to get into the show. If they keep this up, I wont be going anymore.

Totally agree. I got there around 10AM, cars backed up into the street. Had no idea this was going on.

Total of $13 to get into this little show is way over the top. Had a discussion with Goodmans rep. inside.

Told him they need to just find another location. He said they had dates thru another year or so.

Obviously an attempt by Dean to run business away, then, as another poster stated, he will say, I

told you it's not working. Sucks, big time. Just not worth the cost. $8 is too high regardless.

I too think this $ 5.00 parking fee was the brainchild of the Dean administration. I will make sure to vote against him in as a mayor in the coming election ,and for the fairground to stay in business in his current location.As far as the dealer ,he was just trying to pull water to his own well it's normal it is up to the customer to know what is the value of his trade,obviously you did.

I think the good mans are trying to make some extra money

The Goodmans, nor any other renter of the Fairgrounds, have any say in the parking fee. They also will not see a dime of that money. This was cooked up by the Metro Council and the Fair Board.

As far as the dealer ,he was just trying to pull water to his own well it's normal it is up to the customer to know what is the value of his trade,obviously you did.

I can see not saying something about a gun but to flat out lie about a gun is low and shows that he has no moral character.

I rarely go to gun shows because the entrance fee alone is usually not worth it. Most dealers are making extra profit to cover their increased expenses of selling there, and many dealers have inflated prices to start with. Add on the tax and background check fees, plus cost of gas and time to get there, on top of their higher prices and you can always do better on the private market, and sometimes even better at your local stores. So about the only reason to go is the chance to browse and look for something unique. That was occasionally worth the trip, time, gas, and the entrance fee but now with the parking fee it is just too much and I won't be going at all in the future. Gun shows should be free to begin with, since you are the consumer spending money. We shouldn't have to pay an entrance fee for the privilege. Goodman and other promoters make enough money from the dealers as it is. He will have to drop his fee to cover parking, or move to another location with free parking.

Edited by wileecoyote

$13

Never been to a gun show at the fairgrounds that was worth that. I agree that Dean is behind this to drive visitors away and prove that keeping the Fairgrounds is a losing proposition! It's sad that he doesn't have any real competition.

Guest RobThatsMe
Just went to the Nashville show and a guy I have seen running a table for a quiet sometime got me so mad. I have a S&W Pre 29 and he ask what I had and how much I wanted for it. I said I really did not want to sell it but if he wanted to give me $xx amount I would sell it to him. He looked at the gun and said that the barrel had been changed and it was only worth about a 3rd what I was asking. I ask him how he could tell the barrel was not original. He went on to tell me that it did not have the SN in the ejector slot so that meant new barrel. I told him that I had read somewhere that a lot of the Pre 29 did not have the SN in the slot; his response was basically you don’t know what you are talking about. I was about 99% sure I was right but I had a headache so I left it at that.

When I got home I looked it up and found I was right. I know it is stupid but I started getting mad about it. This guy I have seen for sometime with tables at gun shows would stand there and lie right to my face about a gun so he could steal it from me and turn around and sell it for more than I ask for it in the first place.

I would like to tell everyone here who it was but I can’t decide if it would be right to do that. The more I think about I don’t know if he was lying are he is stupid but from the many times I have talked to him I would have to go with the 1st. I can say I will never stop at his table again.

Hi SH,

From reading your post it seems that you go to these shows and see this guy often. If so, why don't you print out the information that you have regarding your piece, and take it with you the next time to show him.

Also, this would probably be a good tip for anyone that is intending to go to a gun show to sell their guns.

Rob

When I see him again I will say something to him just to see his reaction.

As far as parking I just parked out side the gate on the road I could use the walk. I did see people turn around and leave when they go to the gate.

I refused to pay the $5. They did follow me in a golf cart, but told me to forget it. I had my son with me so I had to pay $1 for a 9 yr old to get in.

That was my last gun show. I hadn't been to the one at the Fairgrounds in YEARS. The RK shows in Lebanon and Gallatin were laughable so one visit apiece for them taught me a lesson. I remember back in the day when the show at the fairgrounds took up many buildings. You just about had to go Sat & Sun just to see everything.

I asked a couple of different people if it was just that one building to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was looking for another 5" RIA 1911. Bellshires sells them for $375 and my LGS sells them for $417. The cheapest I saw at the show was $479.

I also needed a few little accessories for reloading. The one reloading guy in there gave me his flyer and said he was opening up shop here in Nashville. I asked for 4 things and he didn't have any of them. I did notice he was 16% high on the powder I use and 13% high on the primers I use.

I asked the people running the gate. They claimed 'they were trying to be self-sufficient" so I'm guessing it's the fair board trying to show they can break even to keep Kapt Karl off their backs about losing money. Wasn’t impressed with the show….of course I haven’t been impressed with ANY gun show in a very long time