Would you trade your favorite polymer pistols....

Links2k

What would you do?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Keep the Glocks
    • Depends on the amount of cash
    • What are you waiting for?
    • Keep saving and purchase new 1911

I decided not to do the trade. I have a couple of 1911s that are for the range, but I carry the Glocks daily. I was trying to get into the NHC without using a great deal of cash. Then I realized that it would only be used on a limited basis and spend most of its time in the safe. Right now I don't think that there is a pistol out there that could get the g19 out of my holster.

Sure there is... G23. 9mm is a sissy caliber :-)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TresOsos
I decided not to do the trade. I have a couple of 1911s that are for the range, but I carry the Glocks daily. I was trying to get into the NHC without using a great deal of cash. Then I realized that it would only be used on a limited basis and spend most of its time in the safe. Right now I don't think that there is a pistol out there that could get the g19 out of my holster.

I think you made the right decision, like I said I don't think your a serious 1911 guy/shooter. Having a couple 1911s to shoot at the range occasionaly is not being a serious 1911 guy/shooter. That's way to much money to spend on a 1911 that you probably won't shoot and serously train with and thus won't carry. And its way to nice a ride to let sit in a safe and be a safe queen and thats the mistake a lot of people make who buy high end 1911s. They think they are going to hurt or devalue an investment if they shoot them, never buy one as an investment in the first place. Buy it to shoot the pee out of, train with and fight with and carry, not to look pretty.

Well, I don't own any Glocks, I'm an XD guy.

Obviously I would trade and immediately sell, pocketing a good profit.

If the rules and conditions were that I had to KEEP the 1911 that I traded for, I wouldn't trade one XD for every 1911 turd Wilson and the rest of them have ever made. I don't care what other opinions say about their spectacular quality, I still hate every one ever made.

I agree completely. People say what they want, but my XD has double the capacity with less carry weight. I get such a kick out of watching so many people at the range, with their premium 1911's clearing jams, ftfs, ftes, etc. all the while I my 1/4 to 1/2 priced XD eats EVERYTHING I feed it without a single hiccup. EVERYTIME.

I think trading 3 guns for 1 is a bad trade no matter what it is. Forgive me for saying so, but a 3 gun plus cash for a 1911 sounds like a really bad impulse buy. I think you'd end up regretting it if you did. Sell one or two, sit on that cash and save up for a custom 1911. Oh, and can you please show me the way to the dime a dozen glocks?

I agree completely. People say what they want, but my XD has double the capacity with less carry weight. I get such a kick out of watching so many people at the range, with their premium 1911's clearing jams, ftfs, ftes, etc. all the while I my 1/4 to 1/2 priced XD eats EVERYTHING I feed it without a single hiccup. EVERYTIME.

WIN!!!

Good grief man! What else is there?

He didn't list any Sigs.

img2011080100102.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a Sig X5 L1. It is every bit as accurate as the high end 1911s, and has an incredibly light adjustable trigger. It also holds nineteen 9mm "sissy" rounds. The downside is it is incredbly heavy.

Now that is an interesting approach to what makes a good gun. Hey, my cz82 was smaller, about the same weight, about the same capacity, equally reliable, and 1/2 the price of an XD... :hiding: Kidding aside, where are you going that you see a number of premium 1911s? I rarely see anything more than the typical stock stuff (which still costs 2x what your XD did). I also do not see them jam all that often; the true premium stuff at competitions does not jam (and they put 180 shots thru them at the events). I had a jam at the last one but mine is not a high end gun ($1000 or so including a small amount of work), and I think its a cheap magazine problem.

For all my h8red of the 1911, I've rarely seen one jam. I think as Jonnin said was his issue, most of those are magazine related. The weight, and capacity are limitations that can't be argued. I would even give the 1911 hands down first place in the accuracy capability department, but how much accuracy does one need at the expense of other features. A bone stock Glock is more accurate than I have the capability to be. I'll take capacity and light weight any day.

My biggest reason for the hate is a negligent discharge from simply inserting a magazine into a loaded pistol. A colt did that to me, and would do so with repeatable results. NO THANK YOU. Do I think a Wilson Combat would do that? No, it probably would NEVER do that. Do I have to justify my reasons anymore than the one bad experience? No, I don't:)

Edited by Caster
For all my h8red of the 1911, I've rarely seen one jam. I think as Jonnin said was his issue, most of those are magazine related. The weight, and capacity are limitations that can't be argued. I would even give the 1911 hands down first place in the accuracy capability department, but how much accuracy does one need at the expense of other features. A bone stock Glock is more accurate than I have the capability to be. I'll take capacity and light weight any day.

My biggest reason for the hate is a negligent discharge from simply inserting a magazine into a loaded pistol. A colt did that to me, and would do so with repeatable results. NO THANK YOU. Do I think a Wilson Combat would do that? No, it probably would NEVER do that. Do I have to justify my reasons anymore than the one bad experience? No, I don't:)

Weight is a personal issue and you get used to it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I'm a little lost on this , what exactly are you saying happened ?

Loaded chamber, hammer cocked, safety off, no magazine in the gun. Insert magazine into gun and the gun would fire. Yes, I know had the safety been on it would not have happened but if you can't insert a magazine into the gun without making the hammer fall, there's something seriously wrong. I could duplicate the instance without ammunition. Cock the hammer, shove an empty magazine in and *click* would go the hammer.

Sold it cheap at a gunshow after explaining what was wrong. The guy understood and was still happy to get it. I washed my hands of it along with the others I owned.

Understand, it wouldn't do it every time, say, 1 out of dozen or better tries. One in a million tries is too much for me.

Edited by Caster

I already have the 1911 I want... I built it for little more than the cost of a single new Glock or XD, and it shoots as well or better than any of the +2 grand 1911s I'm familiar with.

As far as trading a few Glocks for one, I wouldn't do it just because I have traded away too many guns I wish now that I'd kept... and though I have little fondness for Glocks (yet I own 2 of them), it doesn't seem worth it to me unless just saving for a high-end 1911 you REALLY want is out of the question.

But, I'm the type who'd rather put that kind of money towards another suppressor and/or another SBR upper.

Guest TresOsos
Loaded chamber, hammer cocked, safety off, no magazine in the gun. Insert magazine into gun and the gun would fire. Yes, I know had the safety been on it would not have happened but if you can't insert a magazine into the gun without making the hammer fall, there's something seriously wrong. I could duplicate the instance without ammunition. Cock the hammer, shove an empty magazine in and *click* would go the hammer.

Sold it cheap at a gunshow after explaining what was wrong. The guy understood and was still happy to get it. I washed my hands of it along with the others I owned.

Understand, it wouldn't do it every time, say, 1 out of dozen or better tries. One in a million tries is too much for me.

Unfortunately that was something defective with that particular 1911( I would love to have torn it apart to see what the problem was). Colt should have been called and the pistol sent in to the warranty center for repair. I understand how that could make you feel the way you do towards 1911s and hopefully no one was ever hurt, however I find it somewhat irrational to blame a proven desigh instead of a singular defective pistol.

Well, I never claimed it was rational. Fact, in other posts I openly admit to it being irrational.

I look at it this way; My XD 9, using MecGar magazines is an 18+1 pistol that fits my hand like a custom made glove, and it will tear one ragged hole ALL day long. I've had mine since they first come around nearly a decade ago, it's never malfunction, not one single time. Honestly, the 1911 has nothing to offer me.:hiding: Any feature it (1911) would boast would be on the level or a downgrade. I don't buy that "Stopping power" nonsense, so the the fact that it's a 45 means squat to me. I would credit the 1911 as being one, if not THE classiest looking handguns ever made, but looks mean nothing to me anymore either. So I guess what I am asking, and I am not trying to be smart or provoking, What does a 1911 really have to offer me? If it really had something to offer I'd consider going back.

A 2011 could get you 20+1 in .40, 2lb reliable trigger, weight somewhat comparable to your XD/Glock, and far more accuracy than you could ever use. I think the 2011 in 9mm is closer to 23+1, but not sure.

But I answered no, I wouldn't trade my Glocks for a NH or Wilson. NH and Wilson are great weapons, don't get me wrong, but there are a few other custom 1911 builders out there that can and would do what they do for less. My Glocks and 1911/2011's are all custom though, so it's pretty irrelevant to me. I don't trade guns.

Mac

EDIT: and as far as malfs, the only malfs I've had out of any of my weapons has been due to poor reloads which didn't work in my 1911, 2011, or my Glock. Tried the same ammo in all 3.

Edited by McAllyn
forgetful cowboy strikes again
Guest Victor9er
I would credit the 1911 as being one, if not THE classiest looking handguns ever made, but looks mean nothing to me anymore either. So I guess what I am asking, and I am not trying to be smart or provoking, What does a 1911 really have to offer me?

I tend to agree with Caster on this. While I wouldn't buy an XD myself (I have issues with the Springfield company in general) their Croatian made XDs are well made and reliable guns along the same market/price of the Glocks. To me, a gun needs to be functional, not pretty. I'm not buying a gun to keep it locked in a glass showcase... if that's what you want then fine. Like Caster said, there's nothing that a 1911 can offer me that I can't get from my Glock at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. So why should I pay more for a gun that's no more reliable, no more durable, and less comfortable for me to shoot than what I already have?

"But a 1911 is a .45 caliber, that's a man's gun!" you say... Big deal, I can get a Glock in .45 also, and I've seen plenty of 1911's in 9mm "sissy rounds" as well. Besides, I haven't had any volunteers to stand in front of me and let me shoot them with my "sissy rounds" yet.

Edit:

Not trying to bash any 1911 owners out there, if that's the type of gun that you like and is most comfortable for you to shoot, then that's fine. But for me, it's not... all I'm saying is there's no reason to preach that a 1911 is "the best gun ever and all others suck" because that's just not true. There are plenty of "other" guns that are good quality and everyone is different. What works for you may not work for me, and visa versa.

Edited by Victor9er