Think I let the dealership take me for a ride...

Well...I guess I allowed the dealership to screw me over today. I took my truck to get an oil change at the dealership because it was time to change it and I had a coupon to have the oil changed, tires rotated and have a multi-point inspection done cheaper than I could do myself. They told me that the power steering and brake fluid needed to be flushed and replaced. The also said my front brake pads were kinda thin, but they told me I could wait until my next oil change to have that done. Not being much of a mechanic, I trusted their advice and had those two things done along with the oil change. It cost around $120 for each prodecure in addition to the oil change. It ended up costing right at $300 overall :D. My truck is my baby and I don't want anything to happen to her by neglecting to replace any old fluids in the truck so I had it done. My truck has 41,000 miles on it so far. I feel I let them dupe me. :tinfoil: Any input from any mechanics on here if such services are needed and if so, the intervals. My truck is an '08 Dodge Ram.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a mechanic, however, its their job to "sell you" service. They simply suggest things that "need/should" be done and the power of suggestion takes over. No one wants to neglect their vehicle. Your first mistake was taking it to the dealer for an oil change. Plenty of other good places to have the oil changed. IMHO, stay away from the dealers.....

I usually change the oil myself most of the time. However, I do have to let the dealership inspect the engine, transmission and powertrain every 5 years to keep the lifetime warranty on my powertrain valid. I should have just declined the offer and asked around before doing it, but I didn't. They need to make a "jackass" smilie. I would have used that one in my thread title. LOL

Shouldn't hurt to have it done.

That said, I am a mechanic. One of my trucks has 314,000 miles. The other has 195,000. Neither has ever had the power steering or brake fluid changed for maintenance reasons.

Can't say what the brakes may have needed without seeing them. $120.00 per axle is probably about right for a dealership, if it included parts.

You didn't hurt your truck, for sure. Having the fluids changed shouldn't harm a thing. Whether or not it was really necessary is debatable, but in the grand scheme of things it probably isn't worth losing any sleep over.

The stealership will always try to provide more services than you actually need. Easy revenue for them.

I got a coupon in the mail for 5.00 off an oil change for my truck. When I called to schedule I was quoted 75.00 (80.00 less 5 for the coupon) for a basic oil change.

Decided I was better off changing the oil myself. Aside from that, the local Express Lube charges like $40.

At 41k I don't imagine those fluids needed flushed and refilled. On the other hand, it also didn't hurt anything.

Shouldn't hurt to have it done.

That said, I am a mechanic. One of my trucks has 314,000 miles. The other has 195,000. Neither has ever had the power steering or brake fluid changed for maintenance reasons.

Can't say what the brakes may have needed without seeing them. $120.00 per axle is probably about right for a dealership, if it included parts.

You didn't hurt your truck, for sure. Having the fluids changed shouldn't harm a thing. Whether or not it was really necessary is debatable, but in the grand scheme of things it probably isn't worth losing any sleep over.

Right on 56. OP go with what was posted here.

MY 99 F150 has 193,000 in. you never go wrong changing fluids. If you want to keep it forever never miss an oil change. If you are gonna dump it none of that crap matters. IMHO you did not make a bad decision.

Neither has ever had the power steering or brake fluid changed for maintenance reasons.

With the abs stuff now a days, I've always been of thought it was a good idea to change the brake fluid now and again. Brake fluid does absorb water so I figure it's a good idea to get it out before some sort of corrosion gets to eating on something more valuable than the fluid. After I bought one of those brake bleeders that use the air compressor, it really cut the time and aggravation down on that task considerably.

Having seen the old fluid come out of several vehicles and how dirty it is myself, I would have figured a mechanic who has seen it a lot more than I have would have wanted to change brake fluid every once and a while..........maybe I am missing something.

Right on 56. OP go with what was posted here.

MY 99 F150 has 193,000 in. you never go wrong changing fluids. If you want to keep it forever never miss an oil change. If you are gonna dump it none of that crap matters. IMHO you did not make a bad decision.

My truck's diagnostic systems in all of its infinite wisdom, has an audible alert every time the oil needs to be changed. Pretty handy in a way I suppose. I try to keep it changed every 3,000 miles or so. I usually use a semi-synthetic blend or fully synthetic blend when I do change it. I also use the Fram Xtra or Tough Guard filters too. Fortunately, my truck sits up just enough to where I can get a creeper under it to change the oil. It's cheaper to DIY in my opinion.

Edited by lock n' load

It can't hurt to change your brake fluid. Yes, over time it does get dirty. Over time, there is the potential for it to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. I stop short of considering it a necessary maintenance item, though. Especially on a 3 year old truck with 41,000 miles.

I changed the brake fluid in my 1956 model truck a couple of years ago. I also replaced the master cylinder, all the lines, and all four wheel cylinders. I considered that a major repair, but expected since the truck was about 54 years old at the time.

Guest WingMan380

My baby is my 1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate. My truck sits in the yard and is there just incase I need to carry more than one passenger or if I need to haul something bigger than I can fit on my bike. That said, the ole Wing got new brakes front and back and new plugs today doing it myself. I'm not a "mechanic" at all but the more I can do myself the less I have to worry about someone wanting to milk me for my $$ messing up my ride.

Now, IMO, you should monitor your fluids (on any vehicle) especially brake fluid as the calipers tend to get hot and will break down the fluid over time. If nothing else, if you replace your brakes yourself, bleed them and inspect the fluid to see if still looks good, if it does, top off the resivore and drive on, if it is looking "gunky" either replace it all together or bleed it out until it clears up. Brakes are kinda important for some reason (sarcasm intended) and should not be left to chance.

However in the words of Dennis Miller, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"

I took my wifes car to the ford dealer as we had the coupon book for free oil changes. Never once form 31,000 miles up did they not tell me we needed to change the brake fluid. Actually, every time I was in there they alway at least someone else the same line and dance. They could some out with this board that had a sample they said of your cars fluid and what clean fluid should look like and tell you all about why you should change each.

Hell they even show you anti freeze and tell you it is dirt and I believe wiper fluid. I started to ask were the headlight fluid was on the board. He probably would have told me that was an extra charge just to check it.

(I have never each on purpose totally drained brake fluid and replaced, I am not talking about bleeding brakes and topping off)

I bet my 21 year old Thunder-bird probably has the original ford brake fluid it left the ford factory with, although I can not be certain as I did not own it for the first 7 years. (I need to bleed it's brake now for the first time due to a mistake I made changing the brake another long story by it's self)

The biggest ride they took me for was when they talked me into changing transmission fluid and I new it was time for it. After it was said and done and I had agreed the price was with in reason. I found out they had not dropped the pan and changed the field. They had only back pressured the lines. He said Ford only recommends actually changing the trans. filter ever 3rd time and he was saving me money. Horse :tinfoil:. Next time it was due for trans. fluid change I took it to another shop that I knew and for cheaper I had the pan dropped and a new Ford filter put in cheaper then letting ford just back wash it thought the cooler lines.

Then when I was in for an oil change they brought out a sample of trans fluid with the miles and said you need to change this I said I just had that changed with a new filter. He was more upset that I had a new filter put in then I called him out on the sample fluid.

(transmission fluid when changed normally leaves a couple quarts in the torque converter unless you pay to have the pumped out as well. Mose places I have talked with recommend leaving some of the old fluid in with the new and the filter takes care of it, which is why I wanted a new filter instead of just a back wash that ford service did.

In short, putting new clean fluid in a used engine/trans after driving for a few weeks to the eye it won't look new any more. However that does not mean it is not doing it's job. One can not just look at it and tell but they use that sample board to convince customers they are doing the right thing.

Changing fluids on a vehicle you plan to keep it not going to hurt it, however shopping around line anything else you will probably find better deals.

I am still burned that they did not change the filter as part of the transmission fluid change service as I expected. I guess I did no ask enough question and they were not forth coming enough. However any other place I had ever been too changing transmission fluid included a filter. Had I known I would have took it to the place I knew and got it done the way I wanted, with a filter, as I later found out ford would have changed an extra 100 or so to include dropping the pan and putting a filter in.

Edited by vontar

Every time I have taken one of my vehicles to a dealership for simple maintenance, I have gotten the "oh, by the way, you need such and such". Every time. The exception to that was when I recently took my wife's Toyota in to have the timing belt changed. Their package includes changing all belts and installing a new water pump. Since I knew about it beforehand, and I knew what the out-the-door price was, it wasn't a problem. They even washed and detailed the car exterior for me free of charge.

Everytime I go to the dealer for the scheduled maintenance to keep the warranty in force I am told something else needs to be done. Usually its "the manufacturer recommends so and so" My answer is "No thank you, they should have put it on the list of required maintenance." I understand that is their business but I dislike their methods, especially since my truck came with free required maintenace for three years.

Except for engine oil, I don't usually change any other fluids in my vehicles as a part of maintenance. Sometimes they get changed as a part of another repair. If you only got 41k miles out of the factory brake pads, you either pull a heavy load with it, or you need to work on your driving skills. If you don't want to be broke, you'll probably want to steer clear of the dealership's garage.

In interest of time I did not read all of the replies in this thread. However I agree with 56ford, that's good advice.

The dealerships send those coupons to lure you to their shop so they can sell you lots of extras. Best thing is to throw out the coupons when they come. I have an 08 GMC Seirra with 150,000 miles, and like others have said, have never had brake fluid changed. Because of the heavy amount of driving I do, I do maintenance ever 5,000 mi and have never had the "oil life" meter reach 0.

I worked at a Buick dealership in the 70's as a service writer. I was young and didn't know anthing about cars, but it didn't seem to matter . The service manager was a crook. He wanted you to load up people. Example, belt or hose "specials" The special was to replace all the belts or hoses. The kicker was it was cheaper to replace them one at a time. I think "cracked" flywheels were another big deal. I can't remember some of the other shams.I didn't have the heart to load up the blue hairs and their buicks.They finally moved me to parts and brought in his son-in-law in to replace me.I was happy because it was the only job that ever had where when I got off on friday was already dreading mon. The local chevy dealer tryed to screw me on some injectors. To make it a short story they replaced the injectors on my dura max to the tune of $2000+ and in the process I got a fuel leak That they didn't repair. I didn't have when I took it in so I shouldn't have it when I picked it up. Right? They said age related. This was after 3rd trip back and me trying to pick on saturday at no charge. Wrong, got there woudn't let me have my truck until I coughed up another $240 and everybody involved was gone. I pitched my fit and paid. I contacted GM and told my story. The lady called me back and told me she "didn't like the answers she was gitting" from the service manager and was going to get her supervisor involved. Anyway they contacted me and said that was a bullentin on these injectors and I would get my $2000 + back "he was going make more profit" but not the $240 I was still pi**ed but 2 grand was better than 2 hundred. I had done business for years with this dealership but won't set foot in the place again. Each dept "service, body, etc" is set on individual profits so if they can screw somebody it helps their dept.

one more story from buick A guy bought a brand new (bronze brown) T-top regal in 70-72. Really nice guy I even remember his name. Anyway he had in for sevice and the lot boy backed into his door. Buick agreed to repair, It looked awful. The shade was way off, I mean wwaayy off .the body shop manager said that was good as it gets and woudn't paint the whole car. The guy went off had factory rep look at it. They just said same paint #. As far as I know they never made it right. I was sick for the guy brand new car with a 2 tone door

Edited by laktrash

Man I love to read the "stealership threads"! You have no idea the things honest mechanics have to listen to and deal with. YES, you take your car into have a scheduled maintenance and they give you the "by the way you need brake pads". Why? Because if you don't catch the worn pads the car comes back in 2k miles with the pads into the rotors and the "stealership" has to do it for free. Why? Because "you didn't catch it during the maintenace". We also deal with the sinceu's. "Since you checked my tire pressure the rear window don't work no more." lol

As far as the brake fluid goes....the manufacture has a set time or mileage that they recommend it be replaced. If it's been neglected is the mechanic wrong for telling you about it? NO! It's his job. It's our job to tell ya what we see. It's up to the owner to decide if he or she wants the repair. Nothing more nothing less.

I will be the first to admit there are terrible mechanics out there, but working at a dealership has nothing to do with it.

A few years ago a friend of mine took his car to a Firestone. He was told he needed a whole list of things. He calls me and tells me about this list. Now I looked at the car just a month earlier and I don't remember anything out of the ordinary. I tell him to bring the car to me and let me recheck it and sure enough the car is fine. I call the manager of the Firestone and ask him to bring the mechanic (that looked the car over) down to the shop and show me what he found to be wrong. With all four of us standing there he was unable to prove the car needed anything except....you guessed it.....brake fluid. The guy should have been fired on the spot, but he wasn't. My guess he and the manager make a good bit of money doing what they do.

Don't get me wrong not every mechanic is on the up and up. Find a good one and get to know him. If you have questions... talk to him. Believe it or not most (not all) techs don't mind talking to the customers. Heck I prefer it.

It's kind of a running joke between me and a cop buddy/customer of mine that nobody likes us until they need us.

To the op... changing the brake fluid is not a bad thing. Think of the temps that brake fluid reaches. It will break down over time. A few hundred bucks to keep up your vehicle is not bad. Again, find a fella you trust (at a dealer or independent) and stick with him.

Just my .02cents

Edited by Howler

I don't blame the mechanic as much as the the service writer and service manager, he's the one "selling" the work. The mechanic for the most part doing whats on the repair order. I try to use someone i know personally opposed to dealership.

Year before last I had my Aztek in for an oil change at one Valvoline...with specials it can be almost as cheap as doing it myself, specially having no real place to do it...anyway, they said the manufacturer recommended changing the tranny fluid...usually i don't fall for this stuff, but for some reason this time I did. With a week the tranny stopped working...started slipping then just quit. Tppk it back and they said, oh that sometimes happens? nothing they could do they said, as its not their fault...WTF??

Took it to a tranny mechanic and he said that changing the fluid is ok to do, not necessary, but it doesnt hurt, IF you get it done from the get go...like at regular intervals...he told me that if you don't then junk builds up slowly inside and the tranny keeps working, but when its flushed, it somehow tears it up if theres too much junk in there...said if you dont get it done regularly, then NEVER get it it done! Ended up replacin g the whole tranny. I paid one of the things Dave Ramsey talks about, a STUPID tax, lol. Guess it shows that youre never too old to learn, lol.

I prefer to do as much of the maintenance on my vehicles as I can. The last time I went to a dealer, the service writer said I shouldn't use synthetic oil. I'll never return to that dealer or service department for parts, service or sales.

I agree no need to buy the brake fluid flush, but it couldn't hurt. Biggest thing is to open the bleeder when pushing the piston back(for new pads), and try not to pump the master cylinder past where it normally goes when you pump them back up.

Lots of horror stories on the tranny flush out there. We don't have a machine and don't want one. I always drop the pan and blow out the cooler lines.

I just did ball joints on a car and sent it to Gateway tire to get it aligned. The customer called me back because gateway tried to sell him ball joints LOL!!! Find an independent garage and stick with them. My garage I work at has been there for 46 years, we are doing something right.

Guest Bluemax

I took my truck to one of those places that do the 19.99 oil change a couple of years ago, which I think is a pretty good deal. The funny part was when they waked into the full waiting area with a piece of cardboard with Auto Transmission fluid on it. After asking fr me by name the proceeded to tell me how badly my transmission fluid needed changing. Shoulda seen the red faces when I told them my truck was a straight shiftl