Good zombie movies?

Guest Victor9er
Get back to work so that we don't have to read yet another, "I lost my job because of something dumb I did" post.

:)

Yeah, I don't think "work" and "zombie movie" really go together very well.... unless you work at a haunted house attraction or something...

But for when you get home to a more "zombie friendly" environment, I really liked Zombieland.

Guest Lester Weevils

Signed up for a trial version of netflix online viewing because they listed Idiocracy which I haven't seen (not necessarily a zombie flick but not too far off).

Was looking thru the listings and discovered nearly every movie I really wanted to see on Netflix was DVD only and not viewable online. Including Idiocracy. I haven't the slightest interest in fooling with DVD's just to see a movie or show. Is there some kind of trick to it?

Maybe all the good zombie movies are online-viewable, but I laboriously worked thru several online lists of "best 100 science fiction movies" and of the ones I had not already seen, NONE of the flicks were online-viewable. Gotta order the dern DVD's to see any of them. Too much trouble just to waste time watching a flick.

An excellent old SF flick they have viewable online, not really a zombie flick, is "A Boy and His Dog". One of the finest SF movies ever made in its own low-budget sardonic fashion. It is a witty post-nukular-war movie.

Guest Lester Weevils

Argh!

Unless there is a magic incantation or some better Netflix plan with more online movies--

Zombieland is not available to watch instantly

The Walking Dead is not available to watch instantly

Resident Evil is not available to watch instantly

Shaun of the Dead is not available to watch instantly

The Romero 1973 version of "The Crazies" is not available to watch instantly

But a 2009 remake of "The Crazies" is available.

Except for having some gems of old TV series like Lexx, Firefly/Serenity, or BlackAdder, so far it looks like online NetFlix sux!

Nobody mentioned the best Zombie movie of all time...FIDO!

fido_ver3.jpg

"Timmy's best friend in the whole wide world is a six-foot tall rotting zombie named Fido. But when FIDO eats the next-door neighbor, Mom and Dad hit the roof, and Timmy has to go to the ends of the earth to keep Fido a part of the family. A boy-and-his-dog movie for grown ups, "FIDO" will rip your heart out." --IMDB

Edited by BigK
added pic

The original and best of all time in my opinion is, "The Last Man on Earth" It's what I Am Legend is based off of and is what inspired George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Yeah they're technically vampires but are much closer to zombies than the poor excuses for monsters in I Am Legend.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hmmm, Charlton Heston's "The Omega Man" is a 1971 zombie flick. Hadn't thought about it as a zombie flick but it am. Haven't seen it since 1971 and didn't think it was one of his better flicks. Maybe it is better than I recall (or not).

At least it is one of the few that NetFlix will online play. Netflix claims Omega Man was also based on "I Am Legend"--

Charlton Heston plays Robert Neville, one of the last "intact" survivors of a biological war that's ravaged Earth's population in this Boris Sagal-helmed sci-fi thriller based on Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend. Armed with an experimental vaccine for the disease that's turned everyone into light-averse zombies, Neville roams the empty streets of Los Angeles by day and fights off the mutated "subnormals" at night.

Hmmm, Charlton Heston's "The Omega Man" is a 1971 zombie flick. Hadn't thought about it as a zombie flick but it am. Haven't seen it since 1971 and didn't think it was one of his better flicks. Maybe it is better than I recall (or not).

At least it is one of the few that NetFlix will online play. Netflix claims Omega Man was also based on "I Am Legend"--

Charlton Heston plays Robert Neville, one of the last "intact" survivors of a biological war that's ravaged Earth's population in this Boris Sagal-helmed sci-fi thriller based on Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend. Armed with an experimental vaccine for the disease that's turned everyone into light-averse zombies, Neville roams the empty streets of Los Angeles by day and fights off the mutated "subnormals" at night.

Wouldn't the correct order be I Am Legend was based off of Omega Man and Omega Man was besed off of Last Man on Earth? Sorry those are just some of my favorite movies of all time! :clap:

• Like 1
Guest bkelm18
Wouldn't the correct order be I Am Legend was based off of Omega Man and Omega Man was besed off of Last Man on Earth? Sorry those are just some of my favorite movies of all time! :clap:

You realize all of those are based off of a book, right?

Guest Lester Weevils

Somehow I missed seeing Last Man On Earth back in the day and don't recall seeing it since. But I tried to see about every cheez SF movie when I was a kid and can remember even the worst. :) Actually they were all great if you love cheez as much as I do.

I had considered Omega Man to be post-apocalypic SF but not well-done. Ought to watch it again and give it a second chance. But Omega Man is also clearly a zombie flick.

Back then there was no zombie genre except some truly awful black'n'white spooky shows set in apartheid Africa, the Carribean, or South America featuring the voodoo witch-doctor flavor of zombies. Which were the original kind I suppose.

Then again, perhaps the Island of Doctor Moreau was also an early zombie novel along with its horrible movie adaptations? Then there are the East Indian zombies in the second Indiana Jones movie, but the Indiana Jones movies were intentionally mining ancient genres for plot devices.

There were numerous space alien zombies such as the 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1958 I Married a Monster From Outer Space or 1953 Invaders From Mars. Heinlein had a great space alien zombie novel The Puppet Masters but the movie came much later. The movie was OK but a pale shadow of the book. Even the best worst movie of all time, Plan 9 From Outer Space, had a zombie or two.

The Frankenstein flicks were probably some kind of zombie movie.

Night of the Living Dead seemed distinctly different from earlier efforts and seems to have created the mold for modern zombie flicks?

If hordes of post-apocalyptic mutants (as in Omega Man) qualifies as a proto-zombie flick then there are many classic cheez SF movies with threatening hordes of post-apocalyptic mutants.

It looks like most of those of flicks are not available from NetFlix, but some great cheez in that vein included "World Without End" and "The Time Travelers". I enjoyed both greatly back in the day.

World Without End (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Time Travelers (1964 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aha! Netflix has lots of MST3K available for instant play! All is not lost!

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Victor9er
I enjoyed the book. I haven't seen any of the films aside from the Will Smith version, which was considerably different than the book. If I'm not mistaken, it's vampires and not zombies (been a while since I read the book).

Technically, yes they are vampires in the book... the author even calls them that... but they share very little with the traditional vampire myth that we are used to. At the time (the book was written) there really wasn't any zombie genre and the creatures that the author created in the book, while called vampires, resemble more of what we now consider zombies to be.

The book was also the main inspiration for Night of the Living Dead... so you could argue that the book I Am Legend really is what gave birth to the modern zombie genre that we now know...

Discussing the creation of Night of the Living Dead, Romero remarked, "I had written a short story, which I basically had ripped off from a Richard Matheson novel called I Am Legend."
Edited by Victor9er
Guest bkelm18
Technically, yes they are vampires in the book... the author even calls them that... but they share very little with the traditional vampire myth that we are used to. At the time (the book was written) there really wasn't any zombie genre and the creatures that the author created in the book, while called vampires, resemble more of what we now consider zombies to be.

The book was also the main inspiration for Night of the Living Dead... so you could argue that the book I Am Legend really is what gave birth to the modern zombie genre that we now know...

I guess they were zombie-ish but the whole part about not being able to come out during the day I think cliches it into the vampire "realm" though they did adapt to daylight by the end. Loved the ending though. I'm a sucker for a no hope ending. :)