How I feel about bikers haha

TLRMADE

Guest bkelm18
I was secretly hoping this thread would vanish into the sea of cyberspace today. I was wrong. Here's to hoping!

wrong.jpg

I agree that this thread shows a lot about people. One or two people in particular have acted way too childish for their age and should take their own advice to "grow up". I guess that's the internet though, a magical land where anyone can act 12 years old again. :D

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a helmet-less cyclist at fault if an animal runs in front of them causing them to crash?

No, of course not.

But the fact that they chose to do something stupid (riding without a helmet) means I won't be surprised they are injured. Assuming they live, they shouldn't be surprised, either.

Exactly. Who CHOSE to put themselves at risk by being on the road with 3-4 ton vehicles moving at speeds in excess of 50 MPH?

HINT: It wasn't the motorists.

wrong.jpg

I agree that this thread shows a lot about people. One or two people in particular have acted way too childish for their age and should take their own advice to "grow up". I guess that's the internet though, a magical land where anyone can act 12 years old again. :D

LOL. And you say nothing about the false claims and made by the ones you apparently agree with as well as their refusal to take responsibility for their own actions.

Yes, this thread speaks VOLUMES about some people.

LOL. And you say nothing about the false claims and made by the ones you apparently agree with as well as their refusal to take responsibility for their own actions.

Yes, this thread speaks VOLUMES about some people.

OMG seriously LET IT GO, are you just cutting and pasting your old posts?

Speaking as a lawyer...You have every right to be out on the road with your bicycle.

Speaking as a statistician...You have no business being out on the road with your bicycle.

What statistics? Where? Statistically, heart disease is the number one killer of Americans. Not to mention diabetes, arthritis and any number of other conditions that deteriorate qualitiy of life and are caused or exacerbated by being overweight. With reasonable precaution, most people have far more to gain from cardio-vascular exercise than the risks of being in an accident.

From what I've read here so far, cyclists don't like motorists who are rude and don't obey the laws pertaining to bicycles, and the reverse is also true. I agree that there are a lot of rude motorists. Why would a cyclist want that kind of aggravation? Doesn't seem to me that it's very good for the blood pressure.

From what I've read here so far, cyclists don't like motorists who are rude and don't obey the laws pertaining to bicycles, and the reverse is also true. I agree that there are a lot of rude motorists. Why would a cyclist want that kind of aggravation? Doesn't seem to me that it's very good for the blood pressure.

Because on the average weekend ride you might do a 60 mile loop. Let's say in order to make it a loop instead of an "out and back" you have to ride 1/3 of a mile on a highway on the way out and 1/2 mile of a different stretch of the same highway on the way back. The rest of the time you're on roads with little to no traffic except for the occasional tractor and your biggest issue is stray dogs (which we just covered in another thread). That means 95% or more of your time is really relaxing and fun. Believe it or not the time spent on the highway isn't because you want to be there or you want to block traffic, it just may be the only way to get to another farm road on the other side. As for blood pressure, cyclists are some of the healthiest people I know. Many of the folks I've ridden and raced with over the years have been excellent athletes in other sports and they've always enjoyed a little friendly competition. I know several collegete runners and two cyclists who were college football players, (one at MTSU and one at UT) You see tons of former runners with knee, ankle or other injuries that make them transition to the bike. I've been trying to stay off of this thread but this seemed to be a respectful and honest question that I thought deserved a response. At this point I think it's run it's course. Let's move on the something insightful and productive:

What do you think of open carry?

Do JHP .380 rounds provide adequate penetration?

Why are AKs so innaccurate?

Isn't .45 an antiquated caliber now that the .40 is around and 9mm JHP technology has improved so much?

Because on the average weekend ride you might do a 60 mile loop. Let's say in order to make it a loop instead of an "out and back" you have to ride 1/3 of a mile on a highway on the way out and 1/2 mile of a different stretch of the same highway on the way back. The rest of the time you're on roads with little to no traffic except for the occasional tractor and your biggest issue is stray dogs (which we just covered in another thread). That means 95% or more of your time is really relaxing and fun. Believe it or not the time spent on the highway isn't because you want to be there or you want to block traffic, it just may be the only way to get to another farm road on the other side. As for blood pressure, cyclists are some of the healthiest people I know. Many of the folks I've ridden and raced with over the years have been excellent athletes in other sports and they've always enjoyed a little friendly competition. I know several collegete runners and two cyclists who were college football players, (one at MTSU and one at UT) You see tons of former runners with knee, ankle or other injuries that make them transition to the bike. I've been trying to stay off of this thread but this seemed to be a respectful and honest question that I thought deserved a response. At this point I think it's run it's course. Let's move on the something insightful and productive:

What do you think of open carry?

Do JHP .380 rounds provide adequate penetration?

Why are AKs so innaccurate?

Isn't .45 an antiquated caliber now that the .40 is around and 9mm JHP technology has improved so much?

Haha, like!

There is no 'like' button on Tapatalk so I have to do it manually ;)

Guest bubruins

First of all, that was a hilarious video! Too bad the OP does not understand the benefits of cycling.

As a cyclist that followed all of the rules perfectly in the past, I decided to completely disregard many bicycle and traffic rules. This decision came after I was nearly killed by a driver on a cell phone while I was following all of the rules. Well, that was the third near death experience when I was still following rules... Anyways, my point is that cyclist ride the way that they do because it is probably safest for them and you. I do not know any cyclist who says to themselves "hey, maybe i can go frustrate some car drivers by putting myself in danger today!"

Why do cyclist run red lights? Isn't that unfair and illegal?!?!

Maybe some motorcycle riders can speak to this as well, but it's not very fun to wait at a red light knowing full well that a 5000lbs object could be coming towards you with no idea that you are there. After one very close call, I always blow through red lights (only after checking to see that they are clear). I even have the really bright little blinky light and everything. Apparently drivers think that it's more important to send that text message, check their facebook via iPhone, etc than to watch the road for cyclist. So yes, I am that bastard that rides in traffic and makes very sure that you see me and understand where I am. I would much rather have an aggravated car driver near me than a driver that has no idea that I am there.

Riding a bicycle is definitely the best transportation for me if I am travelling around Nashville. I can usually arrive at my destination faster than most cars (within downtown Nashville) while getting exercise (man, I bet that would reduce my blood pressure over time...), spending no gas money, and not dealing with parking. I also keep up with traffic up to 25mph in short sprints around town. Guess what: that is the same speed as traffic in downtown areas. Quit freaking honking.

All of those things said, I ride the greenways when I want a nice, long, unobstructed ride. Unfortunately the greenway does not happen to sit directly in front of the place that I live, so I may have to every so slightly inconvenience you and interrupt your driving habits when I am on my way to the greenway.

For the record, I used to ride before traffic got so bad in Williamson County. The last time I rode was with my cousin, and we took off from his house onto a busy road with no shoulder. Scared the :) out of me and I realized I had no business on the road with 3-4 ton vehicles whizzing past me within inches. I have never had my bike on a highway since then. Nowadays I get my exercise by walking a couple of miles 4-5 days a week on the sidewalk.

Of course, it also might have something to do with sailing through the air lengthwise over a car after being hit head-on by a drunk driver while riding my motorcycle home one night when I was young and stupid. I don't ride motorcycles anymore either.

Neither is worth the risk to me anymore. I am no good to my family's financial security paralyzed or dead.

I knew a guy who used to big into riding motorcycles...had a wreck and then dedicated his life to how bad and dangerous riding motorcycles were and that nobody should ever ride a motorcycle again.

Sort of like the worst anti-smokers are the ones that used to smoke and then quit and so on.

Seems like that may be what we have here...."I was smart enough to quit....why aren't you?!"

I knew a guy who used to big into riding motorcycles...had a wreck and then dedicated his life to how bad and dangerous riding motorcycles were and that nobody should ever ride a motorcycle again.

Sort of like the worst anti-smokers are the ones that used to smoke and then quit and so on.

Seems like that may be what we have here...."I was smart enough to quit....why aren't you?!"

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I was merely relating my own experience with bikes, both motorized and non-motorized. Not saying that no one should ride. I hope no one ever has to experience what I did.

Sorry that it came across that way.

Can somewhat relate to this Have ridden hard over the past quarter century. Tens of thousands of miles. Organized several large events and have been among the most outspoken advocates bicycling in my area.

Can't deny however that in the group of 20 or so friends that have shared the road with me that more than half have had some very serious injuries due to "sharing the road"

But then again, unlike advocates mentioned above, anyone can feel free to figure out this on their own. It certainly isn't my place to stop them.

###################################################################

Bottom line here is that if you ride long enough you will eventually have an encounter with another moving vehicle. 1 year/5 years/10 years/25 years something awry will eventually happen. Remember that when you are on public roads you put your faith in the hands of other drivers to also follow the rules and pay attention. You can reduce the risk by picking low volume roads, riding only during the day, and having a couple of friends with you to increase your visibility. However when something wrong happens when you are on a bicycle....you lose every time.

Now, with a family that depends on my health to provide for them, it is simply not worth the risk exposing myself to the mercy of others on the road knowing that anything that happens...I lose....even once...every time.

###################################################################

Why is this controversial? Why has this gone on for 11 pages? It isn't about bicycles any more, but about how one persons tiny weenus happens to be 2mm longer than everyone else's

Edited by I_Like_Pie
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest WyattEarp
I was on campus last week leaving class. I stopped at the stop sign completely, then started to go, a kid on a bike coming off the street perpendicular to where I was just breezed through the stop sign like he was above the rules of the road. I didn't stop either and he slammed on his bike, the back end went up, he went over the handle bars and took a rough landing on the pavement about 6 feet from my passenger door. He started yelling at me as I went by and I told him just because he was on a bicycle didn't mean he didn't need to stop at the stop sign.

Im glad he didn't hit my car though because he probably doesn't have insurance or a car, and it'd be a waste of time and effort to try and take a college kid to small claims court, like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

saw the same kid blow through a stop sign again today and almost get whacked, he barely missed becoming a hood ornament. I honked at him and motioned him over, and I asked if he realized he had to stop at the stop sign, and he said he thought he had the right of way. I told him I didn't want to come off as a jerk, but that he didn't have the right of way, and that he was subject to same rules of the road as cars and needed to stop just like everyone else. He was pretty cool about it, thanked me and said I was being polite for letting him know and he didnt think I was being a jerk (he might be one of the first to ever think that lol), and I just told him, I'd hate to see someone plow into you and you get all messed up, because if you get hit by a car on that bike, it's gonna hurt and you could break a bunch of bones, and I also told him if he had any doubts as to what I was saying to ask a campus officer the next time he saw him for clarification, told him to have a good day and I went on my way and he on his.

who knows, maybe I saved his life, but I'll just consider it I armed him with some knowledge to avoid an accident in the future. :)

As I passed a group of cyclists yesterday (and yes, I did give them the 3 ft clearance required by law), the thought occurred to me:

It's against TN law to cross a double yellow line. But giving bicyclists a 3 ft clearance is required by law. If there is no shoulder (which many times is the case in rural Williamson County), then aren't the two laws in conflict, as I have to cross the double yellow line to give the 3 ft clearance?

As I passed a group of cyclists yesterday (and yes, I did give them the 3 ft clearance required by law), the thought occurred to me:

It's against TN law to cross a double yellow line. But giving bicyclists a 3 ft clearance is required by law. If there is no shoulder (which many times is the case in rural Williamson County), then aren't the two laws in conflict, as I have to cross the double yellow line to give the 3 ft clearance?

IIRC, You can cross a double yellow to overtake traffic moving slower than 20 (25?) mph of the posted limit.

No, they aren't in conflict. It just means you wouldn't be able to pass. As such, the bikers should be fined for obstructing traffic.

They can't be fined anymore than you can.

They can't be fined anymore than you can.

If they are the cause for holding up traffic I would think they can.

You know it's funny how people are about certain things. None of us are for any laws that encroach on our gun rights but there's supposed to be a basic premise to all laws (and yes I know it's not that way anymore, but it's SUPPOSED to be) You are free to do whatever you want unless what you are doing infringes on someone's right to do what they want. You people are free to ride your bikes, that's great. You have a right to be out there pedaling like a mad man. Does right to be out there supersede another's right to drive the speed limit and not have their progress impaired? I guess it does.

IIRC, You can cross a double yellow to overtake traffic moving slower than 20 (25?) mph of the posted limit.

Not doubting you necessarly...but do you know what code that is.

I do know that if a vehicle (assuming it means bicycles too) is going 10 or more MPH below the posted speed limit and has 5 or more vehicles behind them, they are supposed to pull over at the next safest place and allow the vehicles to pass. 55-8-123(4)(A)

I have had more problems with people in electric wheelchairs on the road than bicyclists...seriously. I think I have a picture...yes I do. wheelchairman.jpg And for the record, he went on green!

But I have been coming home in the dark and have people doing this at night, and I couldn't see them.

I guess I feel that cyclists' rights and auto drivers' rights are not really pitted against each other by "sharing the road". Having access to the road is a right (sort-of), getting somewhere fast is a convenience, period. For those of us who may really not like it when cyclists break the law, have we forgotten how to just care about other people (moms, dads, sons, daughters, etc) first - then do what we can to make sure that we all make it through the day? I do cycle and I drive. I loath seeing cyclists break the law. Please accept this one cyclst saying that I am sorry for all of you that have experienced this. It is wrong, and I hope it stops. With that said, the vitriol against folks - wishing them harm - just because they are a cyclst . . .. not helping any of us. As for riding inside the actual lane - as opposed to on the shoulder. . . . if you ride the shoulder, distracted drivers are (generally) more likely to NOT see you - or to not give you clearance. (not an excuse to ride in the middle of the lane - though) This translates to a very dangerous ride - combine that with all of the grit and trash on the shoulder which makes a blow-out or wipe-out more likely. . . ugh. Nobody wants to go down hard in traffic. - and surely none of us really want someone else's life to end on the road - just because they like to cycle.

• Administrator

All this talk about "rights" and how they pertain to the roadways just makes me shake my head in disbelief. Roadways are city/state/federal property depending on where we're talking about. Citizens are afforded the privilege of being able to use roadways provided they observe certain laws and, in some cases, restrictions on what types of vehicles may be operated upon them and how. Speed limits are proof of this. Bicycles and such being restricted from Interstate highways are proof of this.

Nowhere in the books does it say that a motorist on a secondary road is guaranteed the convenience of a higher rate of speed without impediment by a cyclist also on the road. However that cyclist does have certain legal protection against being crowded by a motor vehicle and legal protection against being assaulted by a motorist who is too impatient to slow down and give them the minimum 3-ft berth when passing.

If you encounter a cyclist while in a no-passing zone, you can either suck it up and drive patiently behind them, or you can wait and pass [illegally perhaps] when it is safe to do so and assume all risks associated with that act, or you can just not drive your car since you're too much of a self-important dick to share the road with everyone else on it.

Seriously, folks... the choices are pretty simple.

All this talk about cyclists who "break the law" and blow through stop signs. That is so weird because I've never seen a car driver do the same. I mean, just getting into a car makes you the virtue the of highways safety, and riding a bike makes you the antithesis. I would say about 50% of drivers break the law everytime they pass me! I know that when I come to a stop sign and I can clearly see there are no cars, I don't stop and put my foot down. Why? Because I have to get myself back up to speed and it takes a lot of energy. That's it. I always let cars go in front of me if I can. That way they don't have to pass me from behind. Stay safe out there!