Let's talk flashlights.

I have five Surefires.....the oldest of which is around 9 years old. I have been switching over to the LED lamp assemblies as they become available for my various models. Have dropped a few of them over the years and only had one instance of needing to replace a lamp assembly (is was an incandescent) as a result. I have been "gifted" with and acquired other brands along the way, to include Maglites and Streamlights, but none have lasted as long or worked as well as the Surefires. It probably goes without saying, but the higher lumen output you are using, the more often you will be buying batteries. I have seen several guys get 200+ lumen lights, and use them for tasks that could just have easily been done with 30 and then get pissed that they are replacing batteries every couple hours.....so if you want a multi purpose/tactical light, spend the money on a decent dual-outpul LED model (35/150). Good Luck

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A Surefire Backup is part of the everyday stuff I stick in my pockets. Keys, wallet, phone, knife, Backup. I've had it for about.... 2 years now I believe, and I dont think there is a day that goes by that I do not use it multiple times. It's a great overall light, very tough, dual output LED. At first I was a little apprehensive about spending the cash on one and getting my money's worth out of it, but I think I've far exceeded that at this point. Now I just feel naked if I dont have a light on me.

I've got more money in lights than I do in guns and I don't exactly have a shortage of guns. I have everything from cheapos to custom Titanium lights.

I sell 4sevens lights and feel they are the best value for most people. Dad has carried a Quark 123^2 for over 2 years now and has never had an issue. If you do have a problem, they have great customer service and a 10 year warranty out of Atlanta.

I have a ITP SA2 Eluma that I picked up at a gun show in Nashville last year. It uses 2XAA batteries, is made of machined aluminium, has hi/low/strobe features, and has an adjustable brightness feature. I liked it so much I also bought my son one as well. I like the AA batteries since they are so easily replaced. Id like to pick up one that is smaller for everyday carry, but not necessarily this same brand.

Edited by barewoolf
I sell 4sevens lights and feel they are the best value for most people. Dad has carried a Quark 123^2 for over 2 years now and has never had an issue. If you do have a problem, they have great customer service and a 10 year warranty out of Atlanta.

I haven't found a local 4Sevens dealer here (though there probably is one in Nashville), so I've purchased online, and their customer service is great. The lights are TOP-NOTCH. They have about 8 modes, and you can pick which ones you set to be selectable with just a turn of the bezel. Very lightweight, durable, and great throw. I carry the Quark 123^2 Turbo in my back left pocket. I have it set to be selectable on a low mode, as well as the full power two-hundred-and-something lumens so I can use either quickly if needed.

Nutnfancy has great honest, detailed reviews of not just 4sevens lights, but also Fenix and other brands based on real-world testing. nutnfancy's Channel - YouTube

Guest Lester Weevils

I don't NEED a 2000+ lumen flashlight, but have been fighting the compulsion to get one. My Fenix TK45 (uses 8 AA batts) is pretty impressive around 760 (published) lumens. Its only routine use is when I forget to close the gate to the woods before dark and the dogs go out in the dark howling their fool heads off bothering the neighbors. Even 760 lumens is way bright and lights up the woods pretty good. Maybe something brighter could be useful outside at night in the rain in tornado season or on the side of the road at night or whatever.

There are the monster bright lights with rechargeable lead-acid batteries, but ain't interested in one of those at the moment. Actually I have a cheap monster Harbor Freight light, dunno the lumens, but it seems about as bright as a typical car headlight, but is big and heavy and not real-well-made plastic. The switch is noisy and it is doubtful it would run very long in the rain, and runtime is surprisingly short on a full charge, and it takes about a day to recharge off its wall-wart.

The high-tech ultra-bright LED lights typically use a gaggle of CR123 or rechargeable lithiums. Am still skeered of monster made-in-china lithium pipe bombs masquerading as innocent flashlights, so don't want one of those either.

Fenix TK70 Review

Fenix makes a 2200 Lumen TK70 runs on four D cells. Uses the same two-button control like on my TK45, which is easy to like. Right button is on-off and left button cycles brightness settings. Double-click the right button for strobe. Some of the lights have over-complicated controls-- Crazy rotating rings or hidden magic button sequences.

• 1 month later...

I have had a light for a couple years now and recently bought another of the same brand. It's manufactured by Coast. The ones I have are the "T7 tactical". Very nice light. They are both right around 200 lumen. I think they were advertised as 210. I bought the first one at Lowes in 2009 for $89 and use it litteraly every day. I carry it in my coat in the winter. It operates on 4 AAA batteries. It has a sliding head for focus or flood beam. I can not praise these lights enough. Tough as nails. Just bought my second one at Lowes again. The design is now improved and $20 less. I have owned Surefire lights but will never buy a other as long as Coast is in business.

I just bought a Surefire in November to replace my LED Maglite for hunting. I can't say enough good things about it other than I can't believe how much I paid for a tiny flashlight. In fact right after I got it I showed a couple of buddies it and told them how much it was. They both laughed at me a poked fun until I fired it up.

Its the perfect flashlight for me as it clips inside my pocket, will light up a field/woods as I'm walking to my stand, and clip onto my hat for climbing into my stand. It now resides in my truck for everyday use and my LED mag is in my tool bag for work. I wouldn't mind having a couple more as extras.

I have several surefires and 6 or 7 walmart cheapo's laying around the house. But my favorite go everywhere with me light is my RA light EDC. I think the company is now HDS. super bright, multi level output LED with a strobe function. Nice compact light that stays clipped inside my Pants every single day. I view my flashlight much like handguns or other potential defensive weopons. Only carry quality equipment that you can trust. A really good flashlight in itself is an excellent defensive weapon and one that you can carry anywhere. I got super lucky with that little light and picked it up for 10 dollars having no clue about the quality of it and it didnt work at the time. I figured there may be a warranty or at the worst i was out ten dollars. Turns out that it has two areas that screw out the batter compartment and then the end cap. The end cap wasnt tightnened down all the way. Best ten dollars ive ever spent. Dont think theres a day it hasnt been with me in the last 2 years.

Just as some of the other people have said I carry two Surefire lights everyday, and have for the past several years. One is the old model E2D Defender, and the other is the Backup. Never had a problem with either of them. Yes, they are expensive but I have put mine through a lot and they still work. I have also had some other lights from Streamlight, but had to fix one with a hammer when it stopped working. Apparently lightly tapping it got something to work again, go figure.

Danger/Fire Alert!!! Got this light just before Christmas off Ebay. $25.00 (16.99 for light and 9.00 shipping) seemed like a great deal!

Comes with 2 UltraFire rechargeable batteries and the charger as well as a tough aluminum SureFire/Streamlight knock off light.

DSCN0654.jpg

DSCN0653.jpg

1st light while bright and progammable for 5 settings (high, med, low, strobe and SOS) the thing would switch between settings so I sent it back. The Chinese group was very quick to send me another light and it's worked well.....but.

Last week my wife informed me that while I was sleeping, she and one of my boys heard a POP in the kitchen and walked in to find a cylinder laying on the floor smoking!!

She kicked at it and it rolled to a new spot where it burned a 2nd spot in the linoleum! She got a pot holder and carried it outside where it proceeded to catch the pot holder on fire!

DSCN0649.jpg

DSCN0648.jpg

Here's what that blue battery now looks like

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0652.jpg

Needless to say, with the remaining battery, I'll have to plug it in and watch it. I work nights so I'm sleeping during the day and can't trust this rig not to burn me out.

They are still selling on ebay under several vendors so beware!!

1300Lm UltraFire C8 CREE XM-L T6 LED 5Modes Flashlight Torch + charger + Battery | eBay

UltraFire 1300 Lumens CREE XM-L T6 C8 5 mode LED Torch Flash + 2x18650 | eBay

Guest Lester Weevils

Sometimes they explode along with simply burning. Glad it didn't decide to splode while your wife was toting the battery outside. Lithium fires are hot and difficult to quench. Typically they just have to burn out.

Maybe the smoke isn't any more hazardous to the health than something like cleaning parts indoors with acetone or methanol, but according to some folk you don't want to breathe the smoke or handle the burned battery.

The rechargeable lithiums have been known to go off inside flashlights inside folks pockets, with a rugged waterproof flashlight enclosure turning the fuel into a pipe bomb or BottleRocket+Flare.

Ultra Fire is a good name and perhaps more descriptive than the company would like! :)

Exploding flashlights are not a high probability but I decided not to mess with that kind of rechargeable lithium system. They use the same kind of cells in laptop puters and tool battery packs but such packs typically contain extra protection circuitry and are subject to more-responsible quality control in assembling the entire system, compared to an end-user buying and handling OEM chinese parts. Real big tool or computer companies have to be pretty careful on QC and safety to avoid getting sued out of business.

Lithium cellphone batts have occasionally blown up. Apple and other high-profile companies have had explosive batteries and product line recalls, and that is with careful engineering which ought to make the problem much less likely.

For a carry light, I have found it hard to beat the Streamlight ProTac 1L or 2L.

I bought a ProTac 2L a while back and liked it enough that I bought a few more to keep in the cars/truck. You can find them under $45 if you order online.

Danger/Fire Alert!!! Got this light just before Christmas off Ebay. $25.00 (16.99 for light and 9.00 shipping) seemed like a great deal!

Last week my wife informed me that while I was sleeping, she and one of my boys heard a POP in the kitchen and walked in to find a cylinder laying on the floor smoking!!

She kicked at it and it rolled to a new spot where it burned a 2nd spot in the linoleum! She got a pot holder and carried it outside where it proceeded to catch the pot holder on fire!

Well, that's no good.

I'm looking for another Nova Tac like I picked up at the shop that night. I absolutely loved that light, but unfortunately I lost it. Have been looking for a month or two now, no sign of it.

I carry an ITP SC2 Eluma everyday. It has been a great light with 4 modes. Low, medium, high and disco. Rated at 220 lumens and have had zero problems with it. Its discontinued now and they now have this model with the R5 emmiter rated at 270 lumens. Uses 2 CR123A batteries.

I also have the Surefire L4 and the ITP performs just as well.

Thats my experience and for what I use it for, I have no complaints about it.

Edited by EMB145

I saw a flashlight I liked at the Hendersonville Gun HSow yesterday. It was made somewhere n the far east, seem s like the name was Chen something...anyway, it was roughly the size I liked and had an adjustable beam, came with a car charger and a wall charger , one long lithium Cree battery like the one in Rightwinger's picture here, and also had a strobe and was 180 lumens, the lady said. They wanted 35 for it, and i was tempted. Great price. But after reading this thread I was so hesitant that I ended up not buying. I could take a $35 risk on something that just wore out too quick or whatever, but I am afraid to deal with something that may explode or catch fire even. Thanks, Rightwinger! I guess I will keep looking for a surefire or some other big name manufacturer.

I picked up one of the Coleman’s from Wally world for a spare around the house, 160 lumens I think four AA batteries in a 2 c cell size light. That little bugger impressed me, makes me curious about their high output pocket aluminum ones just for the cars and so forth?

Guest Lester Weevils
I saw a flashlight I liked at the Hendersonville Gun HSow yesterday. It was made somewhere n the far east, seem s like the name was Chen something...anyway, it was roughly the size I liked and had an adjustable beam, came with a car charger and a wall charger , one long lithium Cree battery like the one in Rightwinger's picture here, and also had a strobe and was 180 lumens, the lady said. They wanted 35 for it, and i was tempted. Great price. But after reading this thread I was so hesitant that I ended up not buying. I could take a $35 risk on something that just wore out too quick or whatever, but I am afraid to deal with something that may explode or catch fire even. Thanks, Rightwinger! I guess I will keep looking for a surefire or some other big name manufacturer.

Hi barewoolf

I ain't an expert. Seems difficult to figure the odds. Other battery chemistries occasionally have troubles and even an exploding old fashioned lead-acid battery ain't no fun. But whatever the odds, wonder if I'm sometimes over-paranoid while sometimes not paranoid enough? Have used lots of rechargeable lithiums embedded in systems with no fires yet. Many years of lithium cellphones, many years of lithium laptops, several lithium power tools. I don't lose sleep with those lithiums lurking in the house. Maybe in those cases it is implicit "faith" that the manufacturers were competent enough to make the system safe?

MAYBE one could place equivalent "faith" that a rechargeable flashlight with an EMBEDDED charging system has been engineered safe? HOPEFULLY companies like Apple, HP, or Dewalt would not hire complete morons to design their battery and charging systems? Maybe the engineers who design no-name rechargeable flashlights are equally competent? Dunno how to find out. Dunno really for any company, big or small.

There are several lithium battery chemistries which have different pros and cons. Some of the "bare cell" lithium batts have built-in electronic protection circuitry and some do not. It stands to reason that some lithium cell manufacturers have got to be making better product than others? Seems highly improbable that all manufacturers would accidentally have equal quality?

In another TGO thread a nice man reported that his company had fewer "incidents" after switching to lithium iron phosphate chemistry which is claimed more stable. I tried to give the man due credit but could not find his message. Apparently one downside is that LiFePO4 batts do not yet have as high a power density compared to other lithium chemistries. OTOH maybe shorter runtime would be better than a firebomb? :)

Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First time I heard about potential lithium batt fire risks-- Years ago I asked a friend about using rechargeable lithium embedded on some gadget I was messing with. He is an EE at a defense contractor. He advised against using rechargeable lithium unless I was willing to spend a lot of time doing it right. He told me a tale about accidentally setting off a lithium battery pack at work. I gather that his lithium battery was larger than a single cell. He said they first tried the fire extinguisher though they didn't expect it to work. Then they dragged the workbench out the door and down the hall into the parking lot, lithium fire going all the way. In the parking lot the battery proceeded to burn a hole all the way thru the metal workbench and then burn a big crater in the parking lot asphalt. That didn't sound like any fun at all.

About 2008 bought a really neat small lithium system to drive a computerized telescope mount. It was great. Usually you would lug one of those 30 pound lead-acid booster batteries to run all night, but this thing was tiny and would run all night. It used a pair of Canon lithium videocam batts and Canon-brand chargers. The pair of batts plugged into a nice custom-molded housing for operation, which performed voltage regulation and low-voltage shutdown.

Never had a lick of trouble with mine. Worked great. A year later received a letter from the little company begging customers to discontinue use and immediately get the batteries out of the house. The company offered to replace it with a different design. There were multiple reports of that model Canon batt just lighting itself up sitting on a shelf, not connected to anything at all. Not to say that Canon stuff sucks. A few samples of that particular Canon batt sucked, at least in that application. Many companies have had the occasional rare case of exploding phone, laptop, or MP3 player.

My LG cellphone worked great for years. One day the back popped off and the flat-pack lithium batt had got pregnant, about twice as fat. Maybe that is an example of protection doing what it was designed to do? Similarly my 2008 MacBook batt worked great and for longer than expected. After three years the battery didn't gradually get weak. One day the MacBook was completely dead and on further investigation the entire plastic MacBook battery pack had also got pregnant and would no longer fit in the computer. Bought a new batt and everything was back to normal. Maybe that is also an example of protection doing what it was designed to do? At least neither device just randomly decided to set itself on fire!

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest NYCrulesU
I bought one of these from Walmart. It's a Coleman and it has a Cree LED lamp and puts out I think 100ish lumens. Cost $20. Built very well and has taken some severe work related abuse. Runs on 3 AAA. It's got rubber gaskets for water resistance but I've never submerged it really to find out.

2000004481_500.jpg

I owned the top one. Bought it at Walmart for $8.88....worked perfectly all the way up until aome punk stole it. Now..for the life of me cannot find the same exact one to replace it. When I find it..I am buying 5 of them. I LOVE that little flashlight.

If I recall correctly it was 90 lumen.

Guest Huntaholic

You folks that like the Nebo flashlights must treat a flashlight like an EGG! Wife came home with this one: Super CSI Flashlight | LED Flashlight | NEBO Tools= The guy I buy my dog food from kinda has a soft spot for my wife I think, but in any event, he gave her this light a while back when she stopped to pick up feed for me. When she came in with it, I really liked it, and since she doesnt carry a light, I kinda confiscated it to use around the house and to feed the dogs with. I dropped it on soft ground ONE TIME and the lens popped out. Ok, no big deal, when I unscrewed the lens cap/ring and replaced it, the ring threads were stripped. A little teflon tape served as a decent fix for that. Fast forward a week or so, and the lead wire came unsoldered. A pair of needle nose pliers and some electrical tape took care of that. Less than another week and the blasted thing just quit working. I took it all back apart and the CHINA PLASTIC switch carrier, which was held in place with a small phillips screw wedged between the PLASTIC ELCHEAPO carrier and the light body had cracked the whole carrier group into at least 4 pieces. It made its final journey to the TRASHCAN last night.

I owned the top one. Bought it at Walmart for $8.88....worked perfectly all the way up until aome punk stole it. Now..for the life of me cannot find the same exact one to replace it. When I find it..I am buying 5 of them. I LOVE that little flashlight.

If I recall correctly it was 90 lumen.

Was it the aluminium or composite shell? These were the compact models I was looking at I think.