What would you do?

So I wanted to post something kinda fun to see what everyone would do.

You have just won a $50,000,000 lottery. What would you do? What would you buy? Would you donate? Would you invest?

For me..... first things first.... id buy myself a house and a nice vehicle. Then id pay of parents debts, and help out some more relatives. Id probably donate 5-10 million to a few charities. And of course... buy an arsenal of guns to enjoy.... then id probably sit back and enjoy my freedom from work for around a year then start my own business.

Your turn! Don't be shy!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would take the lump sum payment, with that large a jackpot I can make the tax hit back fairly easily. I would pay off the little bit of debt I have left; buy some more property I have been eyeballing. Get the wife a new vehicle (I am happy with mine), Buy a new tractor and fix up some stuff here on the farm. Offer some assistance to my folks, set up the kid’s college funds. Open a gun/ smiting shop and range (with a long distance range) to putz with and yes I was in business for myself for a long time and know it’s not really putzing. Lastly I would invest , with the way the market is right now if you diversifide one should do well in the long run.

Edited by pfries

I would buy the farm next to my Grandfather's and build a home on it. I would get my Dad a new airplane. Basically buy my parents and grandparents anything they wanted. I would give some friends of my family enough money so that they could retire. Help some of my friends out who are getting started in life, buy them a house, pay off students loans, set up their kids a college fund, etc.

I would give large amounts to St. Jude Children's Hospital, Vanderbilt's Children's Hospital, The Sarah Cannon Cancer Center, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Alive Hospice, and Wounded Warrior Project. I would give some to my old high school. I would give enough to UT to get a box at Neyland.

As far as personal stuff I would buy myself. I would get a home down in the Keys somewhere. I would buy some cars and trucks. I would get a 26' Chaparral Sunesta to play on the lake with. One of the big Fountain 47's to run offshore with. A SeeVee center console for day trips and a Viking for long off shore trips. I would buy some of the older rare machine guns. Stoner 63, Colt Thompson, some of the early prototype AR15/M16's. And I would join Net Jets so I could have a Gulfstream or a BBJ ready to fly me away whenever I wanted.

I would invest the rest and probably start a business.

70C_VIK70208.jpg

Stoner63.jpg

1.jpg

N63SE1.jpg

Edited by Jasongar8
Guest bkelm18

First I'd pay off all my debts and finish school. Then I'd buy a decent chunk of land out west and live comfortably. Of course I'd buy a truck or two, some guns, and whatever else struck my fancy. I'd probably get my pilot's license renewed and buy a good little Cessna 172 and build a basic dirt landing strip on my land.

1) $5,000,000 to church (tithe).

2) Fix up this old farmhouse, and sell it.

3) Buy something smaller, and more modern, and NOT in BFE.

4) New cars for me and wife.

5) $1,000,000 to each of the kids.

6) Live comfortably, carefully, and smartly, so as not to wake up one day and go, "Where'd it all go??"

1.) Put half into savings. After taxes let's say you get 30 million, so 15 million in some form of savings or another.

2.) Buy a decent chunk of land in the middle of nowhere, and build my hobbit hole (house inside of a hill)

3.) Use land to cultivate the various grains for brewing beer, and a bit of the land for growing tobacco,

4.) Take up hunting year round, take up reloading, and have special rooms set up specifically for reloading and butchering

5.) Live off what I hunt and harvest, using the 15 million in savings only to get a few other guns and disaster supplies and only when I need to upkeep things like ammo and food other then meat.

6.) Hopefully able to be completely off the grid other then the money in savings.

Like someone else has said, I'd take the lump sum instead of the annuities they usually want to pay you. Take the money up front and pay the taxes then 15% goes to the church and assorted charities. Next I'd pay off my debt and my kids student loans. Probably fix up all the things my wife wants fixed around the house, but we love the house so I can't see selling. Take the entire family on that nice two week long vacation that I've been promising myself we'd take, no place too outrageous, but someplace nice where I can get some beach time. I'd buy all the guns I've wanted for so long but just never could justify spending the money. Buy some land where I can go and build a cabin for weekends with a lake stocked with fish, and deer in the woods. Build my own shooting range out there, maybe something like what Hickok45 has, I really like what I've seen of his place on the videos.

And strange as it may sound, I'd go back to work doing just what I do now. I think the financial freedom would make the job a little more satisfying. If I got tired of the job, I'd have the ability to give my two weeks and never look back, or have to worry about putting food on the table, or paying the mortgage and the light bill.

I would simply disappear... for a while.

No one would ever know that I won anything.

Edit: Not that I wouldn't be generous or do a lot of the stuff that other members mentioned, I guess I just wouldn't have my name attached to it.

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest WyattEarp

Finish school, pay off my debts, pay off my parents debts, give them $5,000,000 so they could retire. I would payoff the debts of my closest and most trusted friends.

Donate $5,000,000 to my church, and another $5,000,000 to an organization that would feed hungry children. I'd go to Russia, and pay $30,000 to ride in a MiG Fighter Jet. Give a donation to the Blue Angels charity to take a celebrity ride with them. Pay $5,000 to go HALO (High Altitude Low Opening Skydiving) Skydiving. Buy me a nice ranch up in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado on some land, with horses, and every morning I'd get up before sunrise, take my trusty horse and my camera and ride to the top of the mountain and photograph the sunrise and just enjoy the view.

I'd start an organization to help troubled youths learn from their mistakes, and overcome them and go on to have successful lives. I'd go to schools and speak to kids about overcoming obstacles and learning disabilities such as ADHD, short term memory and that they can go to college and be successful.

Travel the world, and go see everything I ever wanted to see and photograph it. Go to a Super Bowl. Be a volunteer photographer with the Denver Broncos just for something fun to do.

I'd buy another Ford Mustang, and strip it down, have the entire thing media blasted and repainted to show quality condition, put on all the suspension and parts I wanted, customize it to my liking, build a nice 4.6 DOHC blower friendly motor for it, with a 6 speed transmission, a nice whipple 2.3 or 3.4 and have a return style fuel system, tuned and dyno'd with a throaty exhaust.

I'd hire someone who could train me in a few digital animation programs on a one on one basis, so I could learn to design cars, and contract my skills out to Automakers and try to get my designs chosen for upcoming production car models.

And I'd put together a team of of tornado chasers and we'd all go tornado chasing every spring and summer, and film it all and release documentaries on DVD and over the internet.

1 mil to buy a new house, a new truck and a couple of toys. I would never want anything extravagant.

1mil to buy a new wife (I want a sporty import).

.5mil to a couple of close friends.

College fund for the niece.

A few mil to play with and live off of the rest of my life.

The rest would go to several different organizations.

You mean besides two chicks at the same time?

Yeah, I think I would use my money to help some and harass others.

It would be great to show up at the Virginian or Ole Farm with half of Dale street for dinner and a spot of golf...

I'd turn the Sunday buffet at Meadowview in to my personal soup kitchen. On hot days i'd bus people into the Troutdale at Ridgefields for a swim and lunch...

My goal would to be the most loved/hated man in town. Then i'd cruise on over to London and rock out with the Stones.

In the end i'd blow most the money hiring Aerosmith to play at my birthday party.

My mom, whatever she wants is hers. Inlaws could retire and not worry. Other family members (brother and BIL would be fine they would get some) My church, our endowment fund would be fully funded plus some, Blue Streak Scholarship Fund endowment would be fully funded (Education and assistance of inner city kids at a Catholic school that has been reopened in the innercity), St. Jude of course which is one of the most worthy charity's in my opinion. A beach house, a Colorado/Montana/Utah winter home, a lake house over on the TN River/Pickwick, new house near my Church and School. My wife a new car, I would keep mine, it is my dream, except it would have a lot of more extras including a Hemi swap. I've said it before, If I won the lottery, I would still be driving my Jeep, it is my "dream". There would be some toys that go boom of course! Ski boat, pontoon boat, fishing boat, waverunners for the lake house, my kids love going to the lake, love riding on the waverunner, great family time and they are now and would still be my priority.

All within reason of course. I would invest a portion from the most conservative type instruments like cash accounts to bond funds, and another portion in a balanced portfolio that is more aggressive than bonds and cash accounts. Get my full appraiser license, possibly go back to school for my MBA, just because. Don't know if I would work in the field, but would try to use my education to help others, would want to be more involved in other organizations like the Wolf River Conservancy, Shelby Farms, etc.

My primary goal would be to make sure we wouldn't run out, hence the investments, take care of family and a few friends of mine and give to those organizations that mean the most to me, Church/Charity places. Basically live on what the money makes after the major purchases. The mountain home would be a want but maybe not something I would do, wife hates the cold, but she absolutely loves the beach, that would be definitely something for us. The beach house, and the mountain house would be investments and income producers, they would be rented out throughout the year in order to produce income to pay for themselves.

Just some things that rattle around my head, of course, if it were to happen, I would have to study it and analyze it and make it work.

So fifty million, cash option would be twenty-five million, taxes would cut you to fifteen million approximately.

I would pay off all of my debt.

Drop about ten million in an interest bearing account, even at a low rate, such as 2% I would still be making enough back to cover all of my taxes and if I live moderately enough to keep my reoccurring bills, such as cable, insurance and power payed.

That leave me with a little less than five million.

Find a nice plot of land, say seventy-five to one-hundred acres, build a nice, reasonably sized house in the middle of it.

After that I am kinda done. I would probably invest a good portion of the remaining money in education for myself and my daughter.

Buy a lot of land in BFE and build a house (or compound) on it. Buy a condo in Nashville. Machine guns, suppressors, etc. Fast car, driving lessons, offroad vehicle (Umimog?). I'd make sure parents and grandparents didn't have to worry about money.