How do you define success?

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

I'm just wondering how everyone's definition of success might differ. There is no right or wrong answer, everyone views success in a different way.

Society teaches us that success is having fancy cars, expensive houses, hanging out in popular social cliches, going to college and getting an education, having a $100K+ a year job, dining at exquisite restaurants, having the newest and latest things (iphones, computers, cars, newest fashion line, boats), having high credit limits. Society teaches us that having a 4.0 in High School and College will get us special recognition and awards come graduation time, and it'll get us on the fast track to that high profile high dollar career in that big skyscraper downtown with a corner office and view of the whole city. Success is being in the "Country Club" and hanging with that ritzy, high roller crowd.

As a person who fell into that trap at a young age, and got into debt, then got out of debt, I can say it's all a big lie.

I've had all the fun playtoys, 3 Mustang GT's, and 2 cobras, Explorer, 4x4 truck, 2 brand new cars, high end computers, ipods, nice fashion clothes, big screen tv's, laptops, playstations, xboxes . I always wanted the latest and greatest, but eventually learned you don't really need all that and that it doesn't make you any happier than if you didn't have it to begin with.

Success to me used to mean all that, thought if I had that, then I'd be "successful" and have cool friends, and fancy stuff, but as I've grown, and realized it's all a trap, a lie and a marketing scheme to get your money, my view of success has shifted.

To me, success means doing the things you know you need to be doing. Taking caring of your responsibilities without having someone to tell you to do them, it means being a good person and treating those around you and those you encounter with respect, it means taking the time to better yourself as a human being.

Contributing to the lives of others, helping those that need it, whether it's a friend or a family member, a neighbor or a complete stranger. Striving to be the best you can be, but without regard to material things or money. Following through with the things you start, and seeing them out to the finish even if the result isn't what you thought.

It's being a good role model to the younger people in your life that (whether you know it or not) you are influencing with how you behave and what you do because they watch and learn from you and what you do. It's being the bigger person, and conceding an argument even if you know you're right and they're wrong. It's being involved in your community and/or your church (if you're religious and you attend).

It's putting pride into something that you do, or a skill that you are learning and continuing to do it until you master it. It's going back and redoing things you messed up on, just because you know you can do better, and you're not happy with putting out a subpar product.

It's not taking the easy way out of something just because you're feeling lazy or you really don't want to do it. It's not taking shortcuts, and instead doing something the hard way that will take some time, effort and dedication, but will be done right and your efforts will be reflected in the quality of what you're doing.

It's accomplishing the things that you want for yourself. Not the things your parents want or desire (example...your dad wants you to play football, and dreams of you being an NFL Player someday, but that's not your goal or dream), setting the goals that are important to you and following through with them, and becoming the person you want to be.

what is your definition of success? How does it differ now from when you were younger and maybe less mature?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the most broke successful person I know. Don't have much, if any, extra spending money, but my life is for God and my family. They go to a private school (my choice even if the public schools were excellent), they eat well, they are clothed, they are respectful to other adults. Me and my wife are happier than we have ever been. Been married for 15 years. We both are doing well at our careers, she loves what she does, I love what I do. We both have great families.

Man, now that I put that down, makes me think I need to appreciate how successful I am.

In my opinion, success is measured with the amount of happiness and satisfaction you have in your life. Whether you live in single wide trailer or a mansion, this is the secret. I'm going to work hard to teach this to my kids as they get older.

Success: a direct reflection of how one feels about their self

I would also like to add my 4 pieces of advice I give anyone wishing to become successful:

1: Action beats re-Action

2: Hard work will get you somewhere (see #1)

3:take advantage of every bathroom break you get (see #1)

4: How you start a conversation/encounter (your attitude) sets the tone for the entire thing (see #1)

• Admin Team

I can look at myself in the mirror in the morning and be proud of what I see staring back. At the end of the day, my wife and kids tell me that they love me and I know that they mean it. I know that my children will grow up to love the Lord, their families and their friends. If I died today, I know that I am in debt to no man, that I have no unresolved disputes or let anything important go unsaid.

Even if I were to die this afternoon, I know that I would be missed. I hope that the Lord says, "Good Job". And, I hope they have Friday morning coffee in Heaven.

Guest GunTroll

I love coffee. Owned a coffee business once back in CO. Talk about the pinnacle of success with some irony. Those mountain hippies loved our triple certified organic stuff. They gave me money, I gave them granola goodness in the form of java and turned around and bought firearms and payed my way through Colorado School of Trades. That's capitalism at work right there :popcorn: .

That's right. A gunsmith who was/is a Barista too. :lol:

Edited by GunTroll
Guest justluck
To me, success means doing the things you know you need to be doing. Taking caring of your responsibilities without having someone to tell you to do them, it means being a good person and treating those around you and those you encounter with respect, it means taking the time to better yourself as a human being.

Contributing to the lives of others, helping those that need it, whether it's a friend or a family member, a neighbor or a complete stranger. Striving to be the best you can be, but without regard to material things or money. Following through with the things you start, and seeing them out to the finish even if the result isn't what you thought.

It's being a good role model to the younger people in your life that (whether you know it or not) you are influencing with how you behave and what you do because they watch and learn from you and what you do. It's being the bigger person, and conceding an argument even if you know you're right and they're wrong. It's being involved in your community and/or your church (if you're religious and you attend).

It's putting pride into something that you do, or a skill that you are learning and continuing to do it until you master it. It's going back and redoing things you messed up on, just because you know you can do better, and you're not happy with putting out a subpar product.

It's not taking the easy way out of something just because you're feeling lazy or you really don't want to do it. It's not taking shortcuts, and instead doing something the hard way that will take some time, effort and dedication, but will be done right and your efforts will be reflected in the quality of what you're doing.

It's accomplishing the things that you want for yourself. Not the things your parents want or desire (example...your dad wants you to play football, and dreams of you being an NFL Player someday, but that's not your goal or dream), setting the goals that are important to you and following through with them, and becoming the person you want to be.

what is your definition of success? How does it differ now from when you were younger and maybe less mature?

All these things you've said and arriving at a point in your life where, as the saying goes, you are happy with yourself in your own skin - Independent, self-reliant, can think for yourself and NOT enslaved to anyone or anything or idea.

Edited by justluck

To me success is simply living so I will not have any regrets, and to be honest I could care less about having the "new" or the "trendy" things (uhh hum people with Harley but rather having what I think is cool in my own taste, if people laugh so be it because I spent my money for my pleasure not theirs (I will share though)

Guest lostpass

I always thought success would be the big house and a private jet until I got my first career type job. I talked to guys who busted a$$ for forty years and had harleys or nice cars or big houses and a nice title. When I talked to them they always said the same thing "I wished I'd spent more time with my family" They got ahead, they got what they thought they wanted but they always had a lot of regrets.

Since I don't worry about God or what others think (I don't need a Shepard, I'm not a sheep) I define success as being there to help with the kid's homework. I define success as being their to help the neighbors when they need it. I define success trying to give a little more to the world than what I got.

But there is a selfish side to all of this. I'd love to say that all the time I spent with my kid was for his benefit only but learning flows both ways. He teaches me a lot as well. So my greed is still there.

Guest WyattEarp
I'm the most broke successful person I know. Don't have much, if any, extra spending money, but my life is for God and my family. They go to a private school (my choice even if the public schools were excellent), they eat well, they are clothed, they are respectful to other adults. Me and my wife are happier than we have ever been. Been married for 15 years. We both are doing well at our careers, she loves what she does, I love what I do. We both have great families.

Man, now that I put that down, makes me think I need to appreciate how successful I am.

best post in this thread!