Not a Glock guy...

A.J. Holst

Guest BungieCord

I had been having a love affair with O-frame Colts for longer than I care to admit until I got a G20. I bought it on a lark because the Glock has a substantially heavier slide than a Colt, which gave me to believe it might help tame 10mm recoil under rapid fire.

It took about six months before that sneaky Glock crept its way into my top dresser drawer and kicked my DE to the curb. Actually, more like into the safe. I still hate the Glock trigger but the fact is I trust them more than any other autoloading handgun I've ever used. They're just so un-damn-flappable and in-damn-destructable, I've learned to tolerate the spongy trigger (spongy from the perspective of someone with decades experience with tuned 1911s). And all my tweaked and pampered 1911s now are safe queens.

It stands to reason that eventually someone would build a better Glock than Glock but the fact is it was they who changed the paradigm for SD and LEO handguns. Before Glocks, the only polymer handgun with no manual safety that ever had been mass produced was that freak show HK VP70. Now, guns of that ilk own the market.

That's another reason I like Glocks. They're ugly. Nothing you can do to them will make them purdy. Or uglier (much). So I don't obsess over keeping them pristine like I did all those polished and plated Colts. Scars just make them ...distinguished.

Edited by BungieCord
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been an M&P fan for a few years. I have been carrying an M&P 9c for a while. I few months back, I got the chance to shoot a G26 at Shooters Depot here in Chattanooga during a "Glock Days" event. (The "Team Glock" people didn't seem to know much about their product, one even told me that there wasn't much difference between brands, and that he preferred Ruger!) Regardless, I was really impressed with how the G26 dampened the recoil. (not that 9mm has a lot of it, but in a subcompact pistol, it does make a difference).

A few months later, I got the chance to pick up a used G26 for a good price. Now I am completely torn. The G26 manages recoil better, but the M&P feels better in my hand (and looks better too). Granted, my G26 is a Gen 3 gun. The triggers between the two is a wash as far as I am concerned. I picked up an Advantage arms .22 conversion kit for the Glock and have been shooting the heck out of it. I can't decide which I like better, but for the savings in ammo (and because it is newer) the G26 is seeing a lot more range time in my hands.

I've bought sold and traded quite a few brands of self defense handguns in the last decade. For me it is about weight, trigger geometry, reliability and durability without having to baby the gun. I would be hard pressed to guess how many Glocks I have worked on or owned. I have 8 of my own right now. They are not my favorite handgun but they are my preferred handgun. There is enough grip material on a Glock to form the grip to be pretty ergonomically pleasing if you don't like stock. I appreciate the fact that I can make the Glock's ergonomics conform to me and not me having to conform to it. The trigger geometry and the ability to "tune" the trigger appeals to me also. More on that when I get my Fulcrum trigger kit this week, although as posted before I have had both Vanek and Lightening Strike Glock triggers.

I have shot all the other plastic gun competitors and did buy a M&P a few years ago, but at the time I didn't think it gave me anything over a Glock and was just a little more "fiddley" inside. However, the day before yesterday one of my friends offered to trade me his M&P 9L for my much customized Glock 36. The M&P grip panel hit the basal thumb in my joint funny before and became uncomfortable during long range sessions in my previous M&P. So the first thing I did with this new one was to grind the grip panel to accomodate my thumb joint. I'll be at the range today to try this new to me M&P out. My friends kid me that I'll be having a fire sale on Glocks soon.

I too have "converted" a couple of my current Glocks to "dedicated" .22LR using Advantage Arms kits. I have handled one of the M&P .22s but have not shot one. The unavailability of an aftermarket .22 conversion for the M&P may be telling on its market penetration depth.

For the last few years and for the foreseeable I go to bed with a Mossberg 500 and Glock 17 close to hand. It would take a lot to make me change those two comfort items.

It would take a lot to make me change

That's where I'm at.

I've owned a Glock since 1990.

I've been issued a Glock since 1995.

I've been a Glock Armorer since 2001.

I'm "invested"... and I've been very happy with Glock.

Edited by TN-popo
My G19 is magic..! I just squeeze the trigger and it fires. Every time..!

All four of my Glocks have been this way. Even when I had the early "bad" recoil spring in my 4th Gen 17. They all just work. I like Sigs but they are heavier and I don't like that first 12lb D/A pull. The M&P line is nice but I don't have a problem with the Glock ergos and I like the Glock trigger reset a little more. I'm no authority but I started with a Glock 19 (on me right now, btw) and I just haven't found a reason to move to anything else.

Guest BungieCord
...They are not my favorite handgun but they are my preferred handgun....

That is profound. But I think you'd have to be of the same mind to understand.

All four of my Glocks have been this way. Even when I had the early "bad" recoil spring in my 4th Gen 17. They all just work. I like Sigs but they are heavier and I don't like that first 12lb D/A pull. The M&P line is nice but I don't have a problem with the Glock ergos and I like the Glock trigger reset a little more. I'm no authority but I started with a Glock 19 (on me right now, btw) and I just haven't found a reason to move to anything else.

I didn't find love until I got my hands on a Gen 4. You can add an Apex tactile/audible reset kit to your M&P (which I did), but it's still not as well defined as the Glock. I have no complaints with the M&P after the Apex upgrades, but the Glock is just fine too.

I'm not sure about M&P's having a better "fit and finish", I think Hickok45's video might say otherwise. Being that his had a cracked slide. They are definitely good guns though, same with XD's. It all depends on what you like.

I'm basing that on the fact that there is definitely more "finish" work on the M&P as opposed to the glock block style and that the M&P is all stainless with melonite on top. The Glock is regular steel with Melonite on top. Cracked slides happen. I've seen Glocks with every problem any other gun has had. That's just the nature of mass produced mechanical devices. I think they are are equal as far as dependability goes.

That being said, I think objectively speaking, the differences are preference based. Six of one half a dozen of the other.

I'm basing that on the fact that there is definitely more "finish" work on the M&P as opposed to the glock block style and that the M&P is all stainless with melonite on top. The Glock is regular steel with Melonite on top. Cracked slides happen. I've seen Glocks with every problem any other gun has had. That's just the nature of mass produced mechanical devices. I think they are are equal as far as dependability goes.

That being said, I think objectively speaking, the differences are preference based. Six of one half a dozen of the other.

The M&P is a great weapon. I also think it looks alot better. They'll wind up giving Glock a run for their money.

Never shot the M&P but some of you are making me think I need to try one out.

I really like my glocks....! My sigma 9F is ok too but the slight grip angle difference, changes my POI.

Any gun you shoot alot becomes second nature I think.

Mike

Never shot the M&P but some of you are making me think I need to try one out.

I really like my glocks....! My sigma 9F is ok too but the slight grip angle difference, changes my POI.

Any gun you shoot alot becomes second nature I think.

Mike

A sigma compaired to the M&P is like night and day

Guest TN.Frank

I've owned a few Glocks but I never could warm up to em'. Not that they're bad or anything, actual they're the "logical" choice but there's just some intangible thing about them that won't let me fall in love with them. To each his own, that's why there's so many different guns, cars, trucks, ect. on the market.

tnhawk, that just gives it character :(

My Kimber is about worn clean near the muzzle. Although when I first got it, I scratched it putting the slide release back in and nearly wept. Now I just look at it and say hey, its a working gun and that is nothing to be ashamed of.