worst rifle ever!

Guest GunTroll

I love how the French MAS and the Chauchat were referenced so quickly. .only the military savants that brought the world The Maginot Line could produce such effective hardware. . "Oui Oui Pierre. .those pesky Germans will never try to take our truffles again! Oh, merci Jean-Claude. . Im sure they will never figure out you can just drive around this thing. . now give me a big kiss. . "
Ever looked at a pre war french military aircraft? or a French Tank? Ever since Nappy decided the foot measurement was "a sin" the French have screwed up weapons. It took the Isralis to make the Mirage work.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Springfield Trapdoor in 45/70 ask anyone of Custers men.

Uuuhhh, we can't ask Custer's men, . . . 'cause they're all dead . . . (??) :)

That copper-cased ammo jamming in the hot guns. It's a shame the war department was so cheap they didn't provide lever-actions like the Indians had . . .

Guest GunTroll
Just curious, what is wrong with the Rem 770?

Cheaply made. Cheap metal used to make cheap parts. Design is less than apealing. Small ejection port. Lots of plastic (screams cheap to me) used for parts or areas that should never be made of plastic. IE trigger gaurd, magazine parts, etc. With the rifle out of the stock, you can see its intended to be a cheap entry level rifle with as much corners cut as possible. Stock to metal fit is crap. Recoil lug is darn near not there. Bolt is crap. Trigger too. So what I'm saying is from the muzzle to the recoil pad is pretty much worthless.

Now, before anyones panties gets all bunched up. This thing may shoot good...may. Even expensive well made rifles can shoot poorly as you AR people know :(. I just worked on one (770) thats magazine latch broke and would not release the magazine box without some effort. I ordered a replacement part and it also looked cheap. Sort of pot metal looking. It simply slides downward in a groove cut out inside of the stock in the mortise area till it stops for lack of more groove to go. That's it! Nothing holding it in place from moving back up! Cheap! Its REMS effort to compete with the hugely lower manufacturing cost of the Savage's line of rifles. I here the edge/axis is bad too however. Like I said, bad rifles can shoot good too. Might be the shooter thats the weak link. I judge a rifle for many factors.

You asked.

Springfield Trapdoor in 45/70 ask anyone of Custers men.

Cool looking gun though with a decent enough design and caliber. I heard they could have blamed the penny pincher's at the DOD or whatever about that rifles choice in our arsenal at that time. Figured a single shot would make the soldier conserve ammo and hit targets better than a more capable 'spray and pray' one could. So cheaper to shoot is what I took from it. At least thats what I heard.

I owned a colt umarex (made by walther) m4 22 lr carbine that had no accuracy and was a pain to clean! 6 inch groups at fifty yards .I tried 3 different scopes and also sent it back to umarex, They told me there was nothing wrong with it, they test fired it and sent it back to me , same results at the range(even with other shooter!) so I was never so happy to part with it! I have heard nothing bad about the rifle in other forums so maybe I just got a lemon,

Edited by tarlip
  • Moderators
I owned a colt umarex (made by walther) m4 22 lr carbine that had no accuracy and was a pain to clean! 6 inch groups at fifty yards .I tried 3 different scopes and also sent it back to umarex, They told me there was nothing wrong with it, they test fired it and sent it back to me , same results at the range(even with other shooter!) so I was never so happy to part with it! I have heard nothing bad about the rifle in other forums so maybe I just got a lemon,
That's funny, as I have never hears or read anything good about them.
Guest timcooks

tsLG.gif

You all are not even close. I give you the high point carbine. This little jewel is a blight on society. I had one literally for a day when my neighbor gave it to me. I threw the junk of hunk in the pond and prayed it would never rear it's ugly head again!!!

• Moderators

I know lots of folks that would disagree with you on that HP carbine. In fact, if you could tell me where the pond is that you chunked that one you had I'd be much obliged. I could send that back to HP and they will completely refurbish it. And likely throw in an extra mag or two to cover shipping costs.

Ever looked at a pre war french military aircraft? or a French Tank? Ever since Nappy decided the foot measurement was "a sin" the French have screwed up weapons. It took the Isralis to make the Mirage work.

Yes I have. . its almost comical. .you're certainly right about the Israelis. .course they are known for that. .I bet they could make a sling work. .oh thats right they already did. .

The original military 223's used in 'Nam had a dismal rep & got a few of ours killed, I guess that was the m16 original design? I have never owned a bad rifle, closest would be the mini 14 we had as it was very difficult to reload and after it broke in, the accuracy opened up from decent groups to "smoothbore" quality in a hurry. It never failed to go bang, and the action was nice, but it was definately sub-par.

The M16 was good. It was the manufacturer and the military top brass that said " this weapon never needs a cleaning or lube ". That is what helped get my brothers killed. It was not the weapon. Not too long after, the military issued a comic book looking instruction manual and cleaning kit. I still trust my ar15's.

tsLG.gif

You all are not even close. I give you the high point carbine. This little jewel is a blight on society. I had one literally for a day when my neighbor gave it to me. I threw the junk of hunk in the pond and prayed it would never rear it's ugly head again!!!

I would dig it out and send it to MKS. They have a lifetime gaurantee. Give it a chance, both of mine work great.

The problem with the Springfield 1873 was the ammo, not the rifle. Once the switch was made from copper cases to brass the problem went away. My grandfather had inherited a Spanish-American War National Guard issue Model 1873. We loaded new brass with black powder and lead bullets and it functioned very well. It wasn't the most accurate gun I ever fired but it was very reliable.

My worst rifle was a shortened Ross .303 rifle my grandfather bought for me to use on a Canadian hunt. It was a modified military issue rifle, not the Civilian model. It was a real a real nightmare if you didn't clean it every day. It also froze up (literally) in the cold weather of Moosejaw. It was a straight-pull bolt so you didn't have the "torque"of the turning handle to break loose the ice. I understand that the Canadian troops turned them in for British Enfields on the battlefield.

Edited by wjh2657
The original military 223's used in 'Nam had a dismal rep & got a few of ours killed, I guess that was the m16 original design? I have never owned a bad rifle, closest would be the mini 14 we had as it was very difficult to reload and after it broke in, the accuracy opened up from decent groups to "smoothbore" quality in a hurry. It never failed to go bang, and the action was nice, but it was definately sub-par.

The M16 got a bad rapp starting with the Media and Troops that did not clean them, the problem was some fool had the idea to change from ball powder to dirty buring stick powder.

I was issued an old three prong flash suppressor M16 in Nov 67 when I got to Nam and the only problem was the three prong suppressor caught on every vine you walked past. Just before the 68 TET offensive we were issued the new M16 with the closed cage suppressor that made life a bit easier.

For fourty plus years I have been hearing how bad the M16 was, mostly from people who never really had to use them!