worst rifle ever!

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

This should ruff up some feathers a bit. What in your opinion is the worst rifle ever made? Could be old, new, obsolete, current, whatever. All action types too, gas, lever, bolt, etc. All types and for any reason you deem.

I"ll start.

I have never held one before till recent. I'm sure I could think up a better candidate if I gave it some more thought but I'm voting for a REM 770. I'm a huge bolt gun fan. I have other action types but I like the bolt the best. This 770 fails in all aspects of representing anything quality. Shame on you Remington.

REM 770 worst rifle to come out in recent years. Don't buy them, and sell the one you got before they are discontinued and no parts are to be found. Junk fellas, pure junk.

Whats your opinion on the worst rifle ever made?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple spring to mind.

The Chauchat. Funnily enough another French failure....

k94657_chauchat.jpg

The original SA80, the L85A1 IW, is one of the worst I've ever been forced to deal with. Unreliable to the point of literally falling apart in use. Nice idea behind the SUSAT sight, but they fogged up at anything above 1% humidity. We were issued with these original versions during Basic Training & mine got me so much punishment detail it's not even funny. I actually broke my Leiutenant's thumb during an inspection because the bolt handle sheared off & I accidentally hit him with it.

The newer A2 version, however, is a dream & I'd love to own one now

The original military 223's used in 'Nam had a dismal rep & got a few of ours killed, I guess that was the m16 original design? I have never owned a bad rifle, closest would be the mini 14 we had as it was very difficult to reload and after it broke in, the accuracy opened up from decent groups to "smoothbore" quality in a hurry. It never failed to go bang, and the action was nice, but it was definately sub-par.

The original military 223's used in 'Nam had a dismal rep & got a few of ours killed, I guess that was the m16 original design? I have never owned a bad rifle, closest would be the mini 14 we had as it was very difficult to reload and after it broke in, the accuracy opened up from decent groups to "smoothbore" quality in a hurry. It never failed to go bang, and the action was nice, but it was definately sub-par.

From what I recall on the History Channel, it was related to the ammo and not having chrome lined barrels. This problem was fixed by the late '60s through refit. M16 series weapons still get a bad rap in today's military because of that (mostly from pogs) but it works fine if you clean it. In the hundreds of thousands of rounds I fired over my time in the military, I never had my M4 malfunction unless it was related to the magazine, cleanliness or the weapon actually breaking from use (I had a bolt lug break off while firing once).

Springfield Model 87a is my vote.

- It is overly complicated

- Has a very awkward firing action (also known as a klick-clack gun)almost an open bolt action, but not quite

- Has "gills" on the left side that serve no purpose other than to spew filthy burnt powder all in your face

- Is difficult to lock open without a very strong hand

- Tube magazine has feed lips that are made from paper clip wire that are VERY sensitive to bending. Once out of place they cause the gun to malfunction

- Just about the butt ugliest gun ever made

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah.

- It tends to machine gun slam fire if the firing pin gets dirty...which usually happens after 100 rounds.

And will say it again....it is really ugly.

Savage_67_2.jpg

Edited by I_Like_Pie
Springfield Model 87a is my vote.

- It is overly complicated

- Has a very awkward firing action (also known as a klick-clack gun)almost an open bolt action, but not quite

- Has "gills" on the left side that serve no purpose other than to spew filthy burnt powder all in your face

- Is difficult to lock open without a very strong hand

- Tube magazine has feed lips that are made from paper clip wire that are VERY sensitive to bending. Once out of place they cause the gun to malfunction

- Just about the butt ugliest gun ever made

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah.

- It tends to machine gun slam fire if the firing pin gets dirty...which usually happens after 100 rounds.

And will say it again....it is really ugly.

Wow, that looks like a winner to me.

I have to agree that the Chauchat was the worst ever, from all the reports I've read. The worst firearm I've ever personally owned was a FEG Browning Hi-Power Clone. It was not made out of good metal. Parts would bend or break. Most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned was a couple of Mini-14s. That's why I will never have another. Good for the first 10 or so rounds and then the groups got wider and wider and it wasn't due to operator error either.

Italian Carcano just a crappy rifle. Rough action horrible trigger. Never handled one that felt right.

IMHO worst rifle of WW2. Never shoot one that shoot straight or consistantly

except the one that shot JFK. :D

From what I've read the Benet-Mercie was pretty bad.

Mosin Nagant M44. I hated it so much I sold it. Some time passed and I forgot how much I hated it so I got another. The bad memories came right back. Traded it away. I will not go down that road again.

Ahhh, no way, I love mine! Why didn't you like it?

Mosin Nagant M44. I hated it so much I sold it. Some time passed and I forgot how much I hated it so I got another. The bad memories came right back. Traded it away. I will not go down that road again.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Worst gun ever made" buuuut I'm inclined to sympathize with Mike on this. A very well built rifle, that's why I can't say "Worst" but it's entirely too short to make good use of such a cartridge. Weight, while not feather weight, is still a bit light to handle such a cartridge. Flash in low light is ridiculous or impressive depending on your point of view. Accuracy, while not too bad, is still nowhere near what the cartridge is capable of. I will say half the accuracy woes of the M44 are operator induced, but my God! Flinching is to be expected.

This reasoning is why out of about a half dozen or so I have owned... the last one I sold will be the last one I ever own.

Caster below sums it up well. I just thought it was an awful rifle. I could not shoot it accurately, it gave me no pleasure.

a 91/30 is a million times better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Worst gun ever made" buuuut I'm inclined to sympathize with Mike on this. A very well built rifle, that's why I can't say "Worst" but it's entirely too short to make good use of such a cartridge. Weight, while not feather weight, is still a bit light to handle such a cartridge. Flash in low light is ridiculous or impressive depending on your point of view. Accuracy, while not too bad, is still nowhere near what the cartridge is capable of. I will say half the accuracy woes of the M44 are operator induced, but my God! Flinching is to be expected.

This reasoning is why out of about a half dozen or so I have owned... the last one I sold will be the last one I ever own.

Mike is recoil sensitive. :P

well and there is that. ;)