Rifle season. What are you carrying this year?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think? .308 or 300win mag? And if the 300, the mag or ultra? I want something that I can touch something far out if needed with still a lot of knock down power, and want something that I wont have to purchase another rifle for elk, boar, bear..if I don't want to have to lug around the 444 mag.

My go to gun is my good old Mauser M96 in .270. Been hunting with this gun since I've been deer hunting and it has never failed me. I just don't think a .270 can be beat for a great deer cartridge. I've taken upwards of 30 deer with this rifle and 25 dropped on the spot with out taking a step. Leaves them "dead in their tracks" yet recoil is light and it's not really over kill. I have no clue why anyone would shoot a larger caliber for whitetail, it just isn't necessary unless you are just a poor marksman. I do keep a few other guns on hand though and I will switch up depending on the conditions where I am hunting each day. Possible guns that I may use include a Marlin 30-30, a Mosin Nagant, and one that I haven't hunted with much in the past but is seeing a lot more action lately is my Remington 870, keeping it smoothbore shooting rifled slugs. I just love this shotgun (maybe because I've been trying to wear it out since I got it at age 12), it is dead accurate with the slugs with this set up but I usually only carry it when I am hunting nasty thickets. Oh I almost forgot I hunted with a S&W 686 .357 mag last year but I was unable to get a deer with it, I would like tot take a deer with that gun as well.

Guest adamoxtwo
What do you guys think? .308 or 300win mag? And if the 300, the mag or ultra? I want something that I can touch something far out if needed with still a lot of knock down power, and want something that I wont have to purchase another rifle for elk, boar, bear..if I don't want to have to lug around the 444 mag.

300 Win Mag will destroy a deer and any other animal. I know people who use it and loose a lot of meat in the process. All depends if the meat is that important for to you.

Right now I'm carrying either my 700 .243 or my fathers 30-06. The 243 being a youth model, I'll probably end up getting a different platform and modding it since I've outgrown it..since I'm 23 now lol. Honestly just cant decide between a 300 or 308.

Right now I'm carrying either my 700 .243 or my fathers 30-06. The 243 being a youth model, I'll probably end up getting a different platform and modding it since I've outgrown it..since I'm 23 now lol. Honestly just cant decide between a 300 or 308.

You can find full size stock on Ebay to fit your .243.

I got a new 7mm-08 Remington 700 SPS that I need to get bloody.

I have a few that I would like to get bloody this year. Not in any specific order, two rifles I got from my father in law, a Savage pump in .35 remmy, a Marlin 45-70, a new to Puma .357, and my .41 mag. Ruger BH. And some of these will have to take a doe being that we can only take 3 bucks this year, and I have already killed one Sat. with the ML. Will post picture of said deer this after noon.

You can find full size stock on Ebay to fit your .243.

I got a new 7mm-08 Remington 700 SPS that I need to get bloody.

^^^^^^^^^This, yo have a perfectly good deer rifle, with well placed shots a .243 is more than adequate for deer, slap a new stock on it and be done with it!

Guest GunTroll

300 WIN mag is boring. Over done and over rated.

For me, I hunt with a 350 REM MAG in a Stainless Ruger MKII. Its light, short, quick to point. I sat a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 on top. I have built piles of rifles and have many but I keep going back to this stock run of the mill factory rifle in 350. I reload for it and have found a good combo with the Hornady 35 cal FTX (leverevolution bullets) 200 gr sitting on 46gr of RL-7 going 2460 FPS avg. Holds MOA and doesn't kick like some might think even with a pencil barrel being 22" long. I have retrieved two bullets in the past two years and they expanded perfectly and retained about 70-75% of mass. It works for me with range limits in mind.

Guest GunTroll

Your manlier than I. That thing looks like it would stomp my ____ in the dirt! Even with adrenaline going off the charts. I'm a recoil wuss. You reload for it? Tone 'em down a bit?

I will be carrying my trusty Marlin 1895 in 45-70. It has been cut down to 16" and is about the perfect woods gun me. Carries easily, swings fast and hits hard.

DSCF0042.jpg