Bottom Shelf Bourbon?

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest boatme99

I used to drink Makers Mark, then I started on scotch. After about a year, I bought a bottle of Makers, took a sip and gave it away. It was so sweet, I couldn't stand it.

Guest bkelm18
I just haven't been able to develop a taste for Scotch.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I haven't either but I can appreciate the complexity of a top shelf scotch versus drinking the turpentine of a bottom shelf.

After four pages, I can't believe that I'm the first to bring up Jim Beam.

4 Year Beam is my everyday bourbon (I was born with a Wisconsin liver)...and I actually prefer it to 7 Year Beam, even if they were the same price.

Henry McKenna is another one, in the same price range, that I like (less than $25 for a 1.75 bottle).

These two are about as "low" as I'll go when it comes to Bourbons, though.

Edited by TN-popo
Guest Lester Weevils

I appreciate all the good suggestions. Will make a list to sample over the next year.

It looks like Jim Beam is featured in that Jack Nicholson Easy Rider "Nick, Nick, Nick, Ftt, Ftt, Ftt.. Indians!" video clip. Wonder if that endorsement helped or hurt the brand? :)

Was reading about the various brands and it looks like there is no accounting for tastes. For instance several famous characters in fact and fiction prefer Rebel Yell, which I think a giant jug costed not a lot more than $15 at the local booze emporium. Rebel Yell was reputed to be a favorite of the Rolling Stones but those guys apparently have bionic, nuclear-powered livers. Maybe all the drugs and STD's protected their livers from the Rebel Yell.

One of the worst "no accounting for tastes"-- Supposedly Paul McCartney enjoyed scotch and coca cola. Yak! One time I was playing music and the bartender gave me a a scotch and coke he made by accident. That drink was surprisingly awful. Coke tastes OK by itself. Scotch tastes OK by itself. But the combination... I guess McCartney didn't have to worry about anyone stealing his drinks.

Wikipedia said Johnny Walker Red is generally intended to mix rather than sip, though it isn't unacceptable to sip. Said JW Red was Winston Churchill's favorite, though apparently he mixed with soda. I suppose consuming it on the rocks at a rate slow enough that the cup is simultaneously emptied of both booze and ice, is an equivalent of mixing?

Thanks Mike.357 for the info about blended whiskeys sometimes containing a lot of PGA. I guess blended can mean different things? One article said that most Johnny Walker's are "blended" by combining different batches and recipes of scotch to arrive at a certain taste, but didn't mention addition of neutral spirits. That sounds like a tricky job, to consistently year after year mix different recipes so that the end product has a consistent taste?

When brother in law was stationed in Germany he said Jack is fabulously popular in Germany and there was no better way of winning a friend than buy them a bottle of JD from the PX. Haven't tried it for a long time but it seemed kinda strong tasting and smelly to me. If you took a shot of Jack would probably smell like a brewery for quite awhile.

Interesting Enfield's tale of ODing on JW Red, and not being able to stand it afterwards. In her twenties before I met her, one time wife drank way too much Tequila at a rock festival, and to this day the smell repulses her so much I can't drink Tequila in her presence. The smell will wake her up out of a sound sleep.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Four Roses (Single Barrell or Small Batch) and Woodford Reserve are my staple bourbons. If someone else is buying, I'll take two fingers of Booker's served Up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest Field Boss

I do agree with the testimonies given on George Dickle and the white label being tast for me. Anyone that likes to take a drink now and then, and has not tried George Dickle WL needs to add it to their bucket list! Sooner the better!

• 2 weeks later...
Strick, yanno Jose is almost half vodka. There are several brands of 100% agave tequila in the same price range. Look for Agavales. Its good stuff.

Picked up a bottle of this today. It's pretty good stuff with just a little ice.

Guest Lester Weevils

Tried a 750 ml bottle of 12 year Dewars over New Years weekend. It wasn't bad, but my taste buds are not discriminating enough to find anything special to justify the price. Johnny Walker Red seems about as good in scotch as far as I could tell. Though JW Red ain't quite bottom shelf.

Didn't drink enough of the Dewars to cop much of a buzz or risk a hangover. I believe Mike.357's theory that mass comsumption of expensive booze might be less painful the next day, but as far as taste, the cheaper bourbons I've been testing are no more unpleasant taste-wise.

One of the worst "no accounting for tastes"-- Supposedly Paul McCartney enjoyed scotch and coca cola. Yak! One time I was playing music and the bartender gave me a a scotch and coke he made by accident. That drink was surprisingly awful. Coke tastes OK by itself. Scotch tastes OK by itself. But the combination... I guess McCartney didn't have to worry about anyone stealing his drinks.

The "Black Tooth Grin" is my favorite drink. *sigh* I miss Dime.

... Wikipedia said Johnny Walker Red is generally intended to mix rather than sip, though it isn't unacceptable to sip. Said JW Red was Winston Churchill's favorite, though apparently he mixed with soda. I suppose consuming it on the rocks at a rate slow enough that the cup is simultaneously emptied of both booze and ice, is an equivalent of mixing? ...

Watering down maybe, but I wouldn't really call that "mixing". I tried a small bottle of JW Red and found it ... bad. So bad that I actually poured it out.

... Interesting Enfield's tale of ODing on JW Red, and not being able to stand it afterwards. In her twenties before I met her, one time wife drank way too much Tequila at a rock festival, and to this day the smell repulses her so much I can't drink Tequila in her presence. The smell will wake her up out of a sound sleep.

My wife had a similar experience with tequila. I had similar experiences with vodka and Goldschlager. Can't stand the stuff now.

Speaking of tequila, try Don Julio. I had some on a business trip to Mexico and it was excellent. Much smoother than Jose or similar.

If you want to play around with cheap whiskey try this little trick... Get a Brita water filtration pitcher and filter your hooch whiskey. I had a friend that was a big whiskey drinker and he did this, works with other cheap boozes as well. I'm not a big liquor drinker but I tried some of it filtered next to non filtered and the filtered stuff was much less offensive.

I do agree with the testimonies given on George Dickle and the white label being tast for me. Anyone that likes to take a drink now and then, and has not tried George Dickle WL needs to add it to their bucket list! Sooner the better!

Thanks for the suggestion. I just picked some up, and I really like it. I can't believe I've not tried it before.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lester Weevils

The water filter idea is interesting. One would think they would routinely filter even cheap booze before bottling, but an interesting concept to try. Wonder if the Brita filters have an activated charcoal element, and if that would be the difference? Think have read liquor advertisments bragging about "charcoal filtered".

The small bottle of 12 year Dewars vs JW Red-- Different but couldn't decide better. Concluded Rebel Yell and Evan Williams green is palatable though Mellow Corn tastes better. Middle-shelf Jim Beam is good but have not decided if Beam is "worth the extra money" better than Mellow Corn. Mellow Corn is sweeter than most bourbon so it is difficult to compare. Haven't yet tested any Rye.

Perhaps ought to simultaneously compare a small bottle each of lower-shelf, middle-shelf, and upper-shelf Jim Beam to discover whether the more spensive stuff is personally judged "better".

Very Old Barton and Dickel are on the test schedule. Thanks for the recommendations.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Cheap booze is like drinking out of the toilet. UNLESS you're drinking Vodka. I have had many different types and there's little difference in any of it. In a liquor that prides itself on REMOVING impurities, there's not going to be much by way of distinguishing characteristics. I like scotch, Johnny Walker Black label, BLue Label or Glenlivet. But for Vodka, GO CHEAP. Makes no difference. My Vodka of choice is Skol. Mixed with Tropical Punch Koolaid, it all tastes the same anywho.

largeprodshot.jpg

Life is too short to eat cheap ice cream or drink cheap liquor. And never buy a bottle of wine that has the picture of a smiling animal on the label.

Having said that, I have a particular sentimental fondness for Jim Beam.

Cheap booze is like drinking out of the toilet. UNLESS you're drinking Vodka. I have had many different types and there's little difference in any of it. In a liquor that prides itself on REMOVING impurities, there's not going to be much by way of distinguishing characteristics. I like scotch, Johnny Walker Black label, BLue Label or Glenlivet. But for Vodka, GO CHEAP. Makes no difference. My Vodka of choice is Skol. Mixed with Tropical Punch Koolaid, it all tastes the same anywho.

Funny how tongues differ.

The slightest drop of cheap vodka will make me gag. 'Spensive vodka I can drink.

Edited by strickj