Remington's response to Walmart specific guns

And yet they still do business with Walmart.... If it was such an egregious process in which they made no money they would have stopped long ago or gone out of business. As long as it brings in the dough, I suspect the suppliers deal with it. So I can't really sympathize with them. In fact, I shop there a couple times a week, and amazingly I still support the local economy. Their employees aren't paid in coconuts.

Oh yeah they still do business with WalMart (well, at lest some doe)...those who continue doing business usually survive by supplying substandard merchandise so that they can meet WalMart's ridiculous stipulations. When they do that WalMart makes money; the supplier/manufacturer makes money and the customer gets f**k*d.

The other way it usually happens is that the supplier either eventually stops playing WalMart's game or the supplier goes bankrupt.

The company I was consulting for was one of the oldest companies in existence...its world-wide name recognition was only slightly below Coke...they went bankrupt trying to meet WalMart's demands. They would provide a $2M order of machines to WalMart and Walmart would deduct $300K from the invoice before paying for garbage issues (order arrived late/order arrived early/wrong color box/upc code an eight of an inch off from required/wrong shipper used, etc. etc. I once got over a $1M back from WalMart for deductions they took for orders arriving late...I got it back because on those orders, WalMart dictated who the shipper had to be (you can't dictate who does the shipping and then cry foul when the shipper screws up). Even then, it took WalMart over 6 months to pay back the money they basically stole from the company I was representing.

This aint Sam Walton's WalMart and I don't deal with Rattle Snakes.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife worked for Walmart several years ago and (at least our local store) had a special order gun catalog at the sporting goods desk. I recieved a nifty little Henry survival rifle for fathers day that year. :)

I got mine from D&T, and it was still made out of plastic :)

I see ANY store that sells firearms as "supporting the firearm community", since so few still do. Remember, I grew up when you could buy a gun from most any hardware store, Sears, Western Auto, etc etc. The govt puts so much burden on FFLs that I'm grateful for any walk-in store that does it, of any size.

- OS

I have to agree with OS here. I like to do most of my firearms buying at Farnsworth in Vonore. That said, if I were looking for something like a Pardner or (another) Maverick pump shotgun, a Marlin Model 60 or something like that, I'd definitely have to consider buying at Walmart. It isn't like there is much I need a salesperson to tell me about such a basic gun, WM nearly always seems to have them in stock and their prices on such 'bargain' gun lines are usually second to none. Further, more along the lines of OS's comment, Walmart's interest in firearms may be purely motivated by profit but as long as there is profit in selling them, Walmart will remain interested. Along those lines, they would likely oppose legislation that would cut into that segment of their profits. As such, even if their motives aren't the same as ours, the largest retailer in the United States is surely not a bad ally to have.

Sportsman's Warehouse was mentioned in an earlier post. I live in Loudon but have gone to SW for a few things in the past, couple of years. When I went looking for a Marlin 925M early last year I couldn't find one. I went to my LGS first (on Saturday) and would have ordered one from there - and would have gotten a pretty good deal - but he was showing only one as being available for him to order and was doubtful that one actually existed. I had seen them at several area Walmart locations but, lo and behold, when I got ready to buy one (my income tax return came back) I called all of them from Clinton to Cleveland - including all of the Knoxville locations - and every, single one of them was sold out, as well. So was Bass Pro. I even got desperate enough to call Gouger Mountain and they were out of stock on them, too. I had been down to Sportsman's Warehouse a couple of times and ended up calling them. Not only did they have one in stock, they had three - one in each of three different models. I made the drive down, bought the Marlin and got to shoot it that day (a Sunday, no less.)

I have also found Buffalo Bore ammo (I was looking for 180 grain .357, only needed one box and didn't want to order online) in stock at SW. I recently went back there to get the stuff I need to start reloading - they had everything I wanted right there, in stock and on the shelves.

My lesson from all of this was, while I prefer buying from my LGS, the big box stores definitely have their place. I see no reason why we can't support both.

Edited by JAB
I guess my imagination is pretty good;)

Is the WM-China ammo conspiracy part of that imagination? :)

apparently since you live in your moms basement you dont have a car so you dont know a good thing. i guess you would rather have a set of turbo-tech's than a set of the best made, longest lasting tires made? i have had michelins on my truck, my jag, and currently on my bmw, and can tell you first hand that you cant buy a better set of tires. they last forever and grip like glue. you shouldnt down talk something you know nothing about. also, i dont know about the quality, but marlin made a 336 with a w designation that was only sold at walmart. im not saying thats good or bad, just stating a fact.

Michelin's are good but they're far from the best. Turbo Tech and Toyo are amongst the best and underrated brands ever made.

Just ask the guys who sell tires which brands they use. You'll be surprised at how many will run the "cheap" ones...

apparently since you live in your moms basement you dont have a car so you dont know a good thing. i guess you would rather have a set of turbo-tech's than a set of the best made, longest lasting tires made? i have had michelins on my truck, my jag, and currently on my bmw, and can tell you first hand that you cant buy a better set of tires. they last forever and grip like glue. you shouldnt down talk something you know nothing about. also, i dont know about the quality, but marlin made a 336 with a w designation that was only sold at walmart. im not saying thats good or bad, just stating a fact.

Soo your saying Jo-Jo knows tires.......

You have the least amount of knowledge when it comes to tires considering you have ONLY used one brand. If you've never used another brand tire, how can you compare?? Ooooooooooooooo...that's right, YOU CAN'T!!!!

Anyways.....there are enormous ammounts of quality tires out there DEPENDING on your needs.

apparently since you live in your moms basement you dont have a car so you dont know a good thing. i guess you would rather have a set of turbo-tech's than a set of the best made, longest lasting tires made? i have had michelins on my truck, my jag, and currently on my bmw, and can tell you first hand that you cant buy a better set of tires. they last forever and grip like glue. you shouldnt down talk something you know nothing about.

Seriously? I was half joking. But since you brought it up. I drive 55,000 miles a year. I have worn out more tires than you have ever dreamt of, I've had Michelin, Bridgestone, BFGoodrich, Firestone, and frankly out of all of them the Michelin are over priced. For AT tires I can consistently get 65,000 miles out of my BFGs, no other brand lasted that long.

Oh and I'll down talk anything I please, you can go suck an egg

Sent from my Mom's basement

Guest bkelm18
Seriously? I was half joking. But since you brought it up. I drive 55,000 miles a year. I have worn out more tires than you have ever dreamt of, I've had Michelin, Bridgestone, BFGoodrich, Firestone, and frankly out of all of them the Michelin are over priced. For AT tires I can consistently get 65,000 miles out of my BFGs, no other brand lasted that long.

Well apparently you can't know anything about a tire until it's been on a Jag and a BMW.

Guest bkelm18
But not if you bought your Jag or BMW through Sam's Club. Those Jags and BMWs are made in China. You can't put tires for regular Jags and BMWs on the Chinese models. They don't fit.

Geeez. bkelm, didn't you read any of this thread before posting?

Silly me. I forgot. Those China Jags use square wheels.

I go to a tire store, the nearest one, cause I ain't wasting time driving all over town to save ten bucks a tire. I tell them the size I want and ask for the least expensive one they have in that size. Those tires always have lasted longer than the rating for them. Pretty much a tire is a tire is a tire. I broke down and bought Michelins one time for the wardens car, I was very disappointed in them. Have had Firestone's on new vehicles and those tires flat out stunk. My best luck has been on the off brand no name tires.

But that only comes from my limited experience of buying tires for about 8 different cars/trucks in the last 30 years.

Silly me. I forgot. Those China Jags use square wheels.

Not really square but more of out of round and so far out of round most people think they are square.

I have had a few sets of Michelins before as well and they are not worth the money.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
This thread if full of win. We started with a conspiracy between Wal-Mart and Remington and ended up arguing over tires. I love it!

Someone should be along shortly to discuss when it is acceptable to open carry. I hope.

Now you done it :D. I'm going to start open carrying all the time, even though I don't have any Chinese guns. Got some Austrian ones though, for maximum pucker factor when I'm showing them off to the sheeple :D

To get back to the original topic. I have absolutely no idea if there is any truth to Remmy making guns just for Walmart. However, being a tool and die maker myself. If I was manufacturing a product and a retailer offered me a huge contract to make guns specifically for them....well....its all about the Benjamins. Now with that said. Costs will be cut to manufacturer at a cheaper price. Process can only be modified so much to reduce cost, so it falls back onto materials. Cheaper plastics, cheaper alloys. And yes, quality will suffer just a little bit. Sucks I know, but it is reality.

Guest dubaholic2
Soo your saying Jo-Jo knows tires.......

You have the least amount of knowledge when it comes to tires considering you have ONLY used one brand. If you've never used another brand tire, how can you compare?? Ooooooooooooooo...that's right, YOU CAN'T!!!!

Anyways.....there are enormous ammounts of quality tires out there DEPENDING on your needs.

i say this after spending about 6 years of my life working in various tire shops. i know whats what and have run pretty much every tire brand out there. the tire debate is no different from the this gun that gun debate, i suppose. i just know what my experience has shown me and thats what makes my opinion what it is. i have gotten better life out of michelins than any other tire ive ever used, no matter what vehicle they've been on.

LOL, wow.

Well, i sell tires all day everyday. Honestly 65K isn't a lot to brag about. Before FIrestone discontinued the Steeltex I have seen them 75-80K. I have seen Michelin Pilot tires sporting a 800+ treadwear and run over 100K. This is dependent on regular rotation, vigilance on inflation and having them on a decent vehicle with a tight proper alignment and good driving habits. 17yr boys and people who drive like them get significantly less. Toyo was mentioned, they make an awesome tire provided you stay away from the Spectrum. I've never seen a set of used ones that weren't bucked up like a skill saw blade. Even when you rotate them often they get a feathered edge. Their open country is an awesome tire though.

I don't know too much about the tire sales folks running cheaper tires either. I'm running Nitto Grapplers on my Toyota at the moment. They were on sale [at wholesale cost] and they were still fairly pricey. They ride decent, but sing a little. They do very well mud ice and snow. Mileage means nothing to me because I pull them and sell them for a used set while they are still in real nice shape. I'll put 15-20K on them, sell them and buy another new set @ wholesale and put 'em on myself of course.

I don't know much, I'm not a brilliant fella, I only know what I've seen in the last 7 years of doing it but I'm pretty confident in what my customers tell me. We don't rally under a brand name so I don't have anything to gain from supporting one over the other.

I'll say this too about the brand name debate, there's really only about 4 or 5 major manufacturers anyway. Hating one and loving another is funny sometimes. I know a guy that's convinced Michelin is the devil. He loves BF Goodrich and thinks they are the best money can buy. Too bad the same company gets his money. :D If he only knew....

Guest dubaholic2

i will give you that, bfg all terrains are fantastic tires. my previous comment was geared toward the street tire end of the spectrum. my last job was traveling all over the country installing medical equipment, where we averaged 100k miles a year on our trucks. we ran many different tires and none lasted like the michelins. worth every cent to the man buying the tires. you are also correct that you can down talk anything you like, thank you constitution. but ill pass on the egg, thanks.

I don't know too much about the tire sales folks running cheaper tires either.

That comes from my 6 years or so doing sales to garages. The way I discovered Toyos was I kept seeing them on employees' cars at various shops.

Discovered Turbo Techs after a recommendation from am old acquaintance whom owns a big tire shop in town.

Should mention I'm running Goodyears now so I'm not a brand whore. Just a guy with a bad opinion :)

i say this after spending about 6 years of my life working in various tire shops. i know whats what and have run pretty much every tire brand out there. the tire debate is no different from the this gun that gun debate, i suppose. i just know what my experience has shown me and thats what makes my opinion what it is. i have gotten better life out of michelins than any other tire ive ever used, no matter what vehicle they've been on.

....and I've had 20+ cars and trucks over the years and have used almost every brand, size and tread pattern. (of course there are some I haven't tried) Still, it all depends on how you drive, what you drive and what you drive on. Just like a firearm, it all depends on what suits you and your needs. It's easy to get 60K miles out of 40K mile tires if you don't drive crazy and take turns like a Nascar driver, it's called taking care of your equiptment.

Now.....I was at WalMart last night and will say that things are looking better in the sporting goods section. There was an AR15 in the case right beside my daughters pink .22lr.......Still had a price of $800+ didn't bother even looking at the "brand".....