One in the chamber a no-go at Bass Pro...

Guest Wildogre

I saw that sign at the BassPro store here in Nashville and went to the customer service counter to ask if I needed to check or clear my pistol. I told her I had an HCP. She looked confused for a second and then said no. So I walked on in and no one has ever said anything to me.

Guest bkelm18
I saw that sign at the BassPro store here in Nashville and went to the customer service counter to ask if I needed to check or clear my pistol. I told her I had an HCP. She looked confused for a second and then said no. So I walked on in and no one has ever said anything to me.

Those signs do not apply to people legally carrying.

He was probably a member of the so-called "Winchester 94 crowd." Don't get me wrong, I have a 94 in the safe. These folks believe it is their God-given right to own a deer rifle or shotgun, but privately scoff at the notion of regular folks carrying a handgun. We got into a discussion about IDPA and USPSA and I asked him if he shot handguns. He replied that he did not, but that he hunted a lot. It wasn't mere ignorance of the law or the store's rules; I got the feeling that he thought anyone who carried anywhere with one in the pipe was a little crazy. From my experience, there are more Model 94 types than one would think.

Well, LH, I know you well enough to think you shouldn't have a gun. :stick:

Guest archerdr1
What about cocked and locked???? The range I frequent says no loaded guys but once they get to know you they don't care.

Now how are you supposed to shoot an unloaded gun a the range? Just sayin.

Guest archerdr1

Over Christmas I was in our local Academy trying to find a holster to fit my Ruger P345. I unloaded it, locked the slide back, and put it in my pocket. I told the lady at the front that I had it and what I was doing. She called a guy up from the gun department and he took it and walked with me. I didn't find the holster, and he walked me back out the door and handed the gun back to me. He said, "This is a stupid rule, especially since you already have a Taurus on your back and a revolver on your weak side" (He saw them as I bent down to check a holster and we talked about them). "but I have to do it this way. If you need to come back in, just reload it at your car and walk in with all three and nothing will be said" He was a young guy, maybe 21. Nice kid though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest A10thunderbolt

I have only seen a sign posted on one gun shop. The one on Alcoa Hwy in Knoxville across from CourtSouth. I think it reads "no loaded weapons". I found this rather odd. Are they not aware of who their customers are???

Anyway, You probably did the right thing by dropping it..even though I am not sure I would have been able to keep my mouth shut. Hopefully this is just the ignorance and misunderstanding of one lone mistaken employee and not an actual store policy.

The Store on Alcoa Hwy is WD Sporting Goods I buy almost all my guns there, I asked about it one time and he informed me that they don't trust everyones ability to keep it pointed in a safe direction. I guess to many people waving loaded guns around.

The Store on Alcoa Hwy is WD Sporting Goods I buy almost all my guns there, I asked about it one time and he informed me that they don't trust everyones ability to keep it pointed in a safe direction. I guess to many people waving loaded guns around.

That's their right, but I garauntee I will not buy a gun from a store that won't let me carry there. Call me stubborn

Guest nicemac

Over Christmas I was in our local Academy trying to find a holster to fit my Ruger P345. I unloaded it, locked the slide back, and put it in my pocket. I told the lady at the front that I had it and what I was doing. She called a guy up from the gun department and he took it and walked with me. I didn't find the holster, and he walked me back out the door and handed the gun back to me. He said, "This is a stupid rule, especially since you already have a Taurus on your back and a revolver on your weak side" (He saw them as I bent down to check a holster and we talked about them). "but I have to do it this way. If you need to come back in, just reload it at your car and walk in with all three and nothing will be said" He was a young guy, maybe 21. Nice kid though.

I am sorry. I would not allow an Academy (or any store) employee "to take my gun" while I was in the store. Period.

that's what minimum wage and high school kids get you. Try this, next time you go to BP, make sure as soon as u walk in the door, yell "I have a gun and there's one in the chamber" and see what that gets you.....

Come to my Shell when I'm working and I bet it gets you a free drink.... ;)

Hey one in the chamber gets one for the LEO's right.

• 6 months later...
Guest dfsixstring

Not to resurrect an old thread, but just visited Bass Pro at Opry Mills (Nashville) - they have a sign stating that anyone carrying a weapon must surrender them to the clerk at the counter before entering the store. If I think about it I'll snap a quick pic of it on my way back out.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

Not to resurrect an old thread, but just visited Bass Pro at Opry Mills (Nashville) - they have a sign stating that anyone carrying a weapon must surrender them to the clerk at the counter before entering the store. If I think about it I'll snap a quick pic of it on my way back out.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

1.) Did you ask them what that meant exactly - was it posted otherwise?

2.) That Bass Pro could be slightly different rules wise, they could be posted because they are open to the mall, dunno.

Guest dfsixstring

I didn't ask. Since they've rebuilt they no longer have access into the mall. To enter the mall you have to go back out and walk around to the official mall entrance.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

Guest dfsixstring

Ok - I spoke to the manager and I'm confused. See the sign below - posted in their main entrance.

I asked the mgr if he really expected armed patrons to surrender their weapons to enter this store. He said that it was corporate policy. I told him that no self-respecting HCP person I know would just relinquish their weapon to the lady at the service counter.

He said, "oh no, this sign is only for those without an HCP. If you have an HCP you're welcome to carry in the store."

I told him that if someone was CC'ing without an HCP, they were criminals. He said, "yeah, that's who that sign is for.". I have up at that point.

44d1d91a-10a2-28f0.jpg

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

Ok - I spoke to the manager and I'm confused. ...

The purpose of the sign is the same as the ones at Gander Mountain, if you are bringing in a gun for exchange, repair, shipping for repair, or to fit to holster or other accessory; it has been stated in the past by others talking to less idiotic managers than the one you did.

Here is pertinent article from June of this year, which also contains Bass Pro's actual gun policy:

http://www.guns.com/...olicy-9219.html

Print their policy out and give it to the idiot manager next time you go in. Or just report him to corporate like the fellow did in the article, since they are supposed to be "trained" regarding the matter.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot