Knoxville Walmart tonight

Guest airborne1525

You did good. You used the best weapon that you had (situational awareness) and thank God that was all the weapon that you needed. A few years ago I was working asset protection for Walmart and sometimes worked at that store. Although not quite as bad as East Town or the Clinton Highway store, there were a lot of odd goings on at that location. They always had a good team over there so I'm not surprised that they were concerned about your story. Glad you were able to write about it, good job!

Wouldn't have handled the situation any different. Your awareness and actions were spot on. Sounds like general consensus from those that live in the area is to avoid that Wal-Mart though.

Not me. They're all about the same. Guess if I were a thief, I'd gravitate to the Turkey Creek one above all the others in the area.

One in Halls has the um...funkiest ambiance, IMO.

- OS

Sounds like you made the right decisions to me. Remember, just because you carried the check in your hand doesn't mean you deservedbo be a victim. Maybe the guy will think twice next time before he plans on robbing someone. Now, your decision to go to Wal Mart in the first place? That's a different story completely.

So tonight I stopped at the Walmart in the west town area an had an alarming encounter....

Well of course your FIRST mistake was going to Walmart; but we can discuss that at another time :)

CONGRATULATIONS on exercising good situational awareness and common sense and almost certainly avoiding what could have easily been a very bad situation. ;)

Guest lostpass
I've been in several situations like that and when I think someone is feeling me out I usually try to make sustained eye contact with them and let them know that I know they are watching me. They generally break contact at that point.

Good job being aware of you surroundings airborne and I'm sure you wife will have a blessed trip.

What if they are a criminal with aspbergers syndrome? They won't make eye contact anyway, so...

Kidding, I think is probably an effective way of defusing the situation. If you're out to rob someone you probably want someone who won't fight back. Letting them know you are aware of the situation tells the bad fella to move on.

Let's face it, if you were after a fight you wouldn't be trying to steal something from someone you'd fly to Ireland, walk into a bar and yell Manchester United Forever or something...

Guest Lester Weevils
Let's face it, if you were after a fight you wouldn't be trying to steal something from someone you'd fly to Ireland, walk into a bar and yell Manchester United Forever or something...

I witnessed an intoxicated young Texan prove that the same thing can be accomplished by yelling "Remember the Alamo!" in a Mexican bar.

You did great. Good out come, your eyes were open and you caught him at first sight, now you are motivated to keep your SA up, you found one flaw in how you weere conducting yourself and will correct it. This and the fact that you and yours are OK are what matters. It is why you carry in the first first place right? To give you a tool to help make sure you and yours are OK, your arsenal was full be proud, many may have become another victim at that point.

Let's face facts we go through life learning, we can only learn so much from reading, if we don't make mistakes we cannot learn and grow. We have to hope that we are prepared enough to get through our mistake and adjust to make things better. One wise man said "it is only a mistake if you don't learn from it" and another said "a truly wise man realizes how little he knows" (Confucius)

for every question we answer it opens the door to more questions we should ask take it and run.

Guest airborne1525

Thanks guys. I made a comment to a good friend that maybe the guy saw my guardian angel behind me....his comment back, or maybe he saw the angel of death about to single him out.....hummm

Guest Catfish36

Just another thought , Could this scenerio be another argument for open carry? If he had been concealed he may have had to take this to the next level to end it?? Once he made the decision to draw..it would have been nano-seconds before the decision to fire....

I know, I know..there are always hypotheticals..always "what if's"...to argue either case..

But in this case I think it may have been a good thing his wife hid the concealed holster...??

Just another thought , Could this scenerio be another argument for open carry? If he had been concealed he may have had to take this to the next level to end it?? Once he made the decision to draw..it would have been nano-seconds before the decision to fire....

I know, I know..there are always hypotheticals..always "what if's"...to argue either case..

But in this case I think it may have been a good thing his wife hid the concealed holster...??

I don't think there is an argument for open carry... it is perfectly legal. It is up to the individual to decide if they want to or not. I would prefer everyone not know that I'm armed, but in a situation where contact is likely I may expose my weapon to deter a situation.

• Like 1

I started to say something as well...but did not want to turn this into another one of the endless OC v CC debate threads.

One could say Yes...OC may have prevented it this before it arose...or one might say if the BG was determined it would just cause him to go straight to deadly force. Maybe one is more likely than the other...but both are possible.

So in the end I think OC or CC is a personal choice that there is no right or wrong answer/situation for.

Not me. They're all about the same. Guess if I were a thief, I'd gravitate to the Turkey Creek one above all the others in the area.

One in Halls has the um...funkiest ambiance, IMO.

- OS

If you up to no good,the problem with Turkey Creek is the getaway. Traffic is terrible and too many traffic lights and cameras.

Walker Springs is a lot easier to get away from quickly.

Guest FroggyOne2

The way I see it, if you doing the OC and the perp.. seen you going in and was going to be determined to take that chance.. well I feel that it would be an ambush where you would not know it is comming.. had being CC.. you gave the potenial assailant the false impression that you are a target. with that, they are more than likely to approach from the front.. which is more advantagious for you.

Guest cardcutter

O Kay as an official armchair quarterback I am going to list the multitude of things you did wrong.

1. Not a d**N thing!

Brother you handled it well. You controlled the situation.You did not let escalate into worse situation by overreacting.

All in all it was text book perfect.

I am glad to hear you did so well.

Guest airborne1525

Tipping my hat to my brothers for affirming my actions...shaking my head as I walk away at the one who questioned if it's ever good to expose your weapon.....lol

As a veteran with 16 years in the army, I pray that God allows me to live the rest of my life without having to put crosshairs on another person. I pray for a safe and fruit filled life for my family, however I know without a doubt that I will protect those I love and myself till my last breath and more so, I know without a doubt that if I put sights on someone they have already forced me into a decision that I can live with, a decision that they won't live past.

As men, we need to allow a true inner warrior spirit to guide us, not the fake Hollywood macho bs that has been fed to us since childhood.

John Eldridge sums it up well... Love God, Live Free!

My intent in exposing was to drawl when needed. Tennessee is an open carry state and since the only thing that was covering my sidearm was my coat...there was nothing illegal or unethical in my actions. Had the gun been in legal full view, IMO, doubt he would have followed me in the first place. Bottom line, my quick adjustment was in response to what was felt as a threat of an ambush.

So I you don't think what I did was a good response, tell me your best armchair quarterback response. In all seriousness, I would appreciate hearing how other guys would have handled it.

Airborne, you did exactly as you should. The "gut" is one of the smartest parts of

the body.

You assessed the threat, reacted as needed for the situation. Turned out well. About

as good as it gets.

BTW, thanks for your service to your country from an ole Army Grunt.

• Like 1
We will never know for sure but is exposing your gun in public ever a good idea?

Not having been there, it sounds like simply 'exposing' his firearm - without drawing it, certainly without brandishing it - quite possibly prevented him from

A. having a confrontation with someone who had criminal intent and

B. possibly having to go the next step and shoot someone

all while doing no harm, not causing any kind or public uproar or anything else.

Well, here's how I think I would have handled that situation. .......exactly the way you did.

I can only say that I HOPE I would have handled the situation that well.

I don't think there is an argument for open carry... it is perfectly legal. It is up to the individual to decide if they want to or not. I would prefer everyone not know that I'm armed, but in a situation where contact is likely I may expose my weapon to deter a situation.

I'm with you on that. I don't think the situation comprises an argument for open (or concealed) carry so much as it simply comprises an argument for carry, period. I will say that, personally, I don't believe that true 'open carry' is the best in most public situations (just my opinion) but situations such as the OP described are why I like carrying in a manner that I consider 'casually concealed' - OWB with a cover garment. That way, my firearm remains concealed yet easy to access or display (without brandishing) if I feel the need. I'm not saying that is the 'best' way, just part of the reason I like it (although in the interest of full disclosure, I do pocket carry sometimes.)

Edited by JAB