Who carrys a full size

dispatch 510

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RebelWithACause

During the period of time I carried a 1911, it was in a Galco combat master holster on my right hip, concealed by a jacket.

(When I carry my USP .45 full size, I also carry it on my right hip in a combat master holster.)

I carry a fullsize 1911 every single day and have been for a few years now. I have tried several different over the counter holsters and didn't realy like any of them. They always rode higher than I liked and had an open bottom, which I do not like. I do not like an open bottom because I have left carbon marks on seats on more than a few occassions. I have also scratched things I didn't want to with an open bottom holster.

In the end I decided to make my own. It is very, very comfortable and I think the biggest reason is it rides a bit lower and has a larger footprint than some of the others I tried. By footprint I mean behind the gun, I have leather well above the hammer and slide to keep me from getting pinched or scratched. It is a OWB holster but snugs up very, very well to the body. I have made a few for friends and they all like them and say they work as well as any IWB holster they have tried.

I make sure to mold a curve into the holster as well during the process of making it. Having a holster that starts out flat isn't going to feel as good when it is sitting next to a round body. It takes a little more effort but I think it makes a difference in comfort. This holster was nearly impossible to flatten once it has been made.

IMG_0298r.jpg

The "wing" on the back that comes above the hammer is what I think makes it most comfortable. The bigger the footprint the less pressure points there will be.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

If you are going to carry IWB, you can't beat a Crossbreed. I don't carry one but I know a lot of guys who were skeptical of trying to carry a full size 1911 due to weight and size. They come back to the store raving about how comfortable and easy to carry the Crossbreed makes the 1911. It spreads the weight out so it feels a lot lighter, it is tuckable, it stays open for reholstering, and it is comfortable. For pics - crossbreed 1911 - Google Search

I carry a fullsize 1911 every single day and have been for a few years now. I have tried several different over the counter holsters and didn't realy like any of them. They always rode higher than I liked and had an open bottom, which I do not like. I do not like an open bottom because I have left carbon marks on seats on more than a few occassions. I have also scratched things I didn't want to with an open bottom holster.

In the end I decided to make my own. It is very, very comfortable and I think the biggest reason is it rides a bit lower and has a larger footprint than some of the others I tried. By footprint I mean behind the gun, I have leather well above the hammer and slide to keep me from getting pinched or scratched. It is a OWB holster but snugs up very, very well to the body. I have made a few for friends and they all like them and say they work as well as any IWB holster they have tried.

I make sure to mold a curve into the holster as well during the process of making it. Having a holster that starts out flat isn't going to feel as good when it is sitting next to a round body. It takes a little more effort but I think it makes a difference in comfort. This holster was nearly impossible to flatten once it has been made.

IMG_0298r.jpg

The "wing" on the back that comes above the hammer is what I think makes it most comfortable. The bigger the footprint the less pressure points there will be.

Dolomite

Wish I would of seen that the other day! I'd like to try it out sometime.

Hero Gear 1911 in either a Milt Sparks VM2 or a Crossbreed. If I need the shirt tucked (church, etc.) then it is the Crossbreed. Untucked I go with the VM2 and in overalls I go with a SmartCarry. I tried using the VM2 with the kydex clips but didn't like it tucked. Everyone is going to have a different opinion but this is what is currently working for me but I am thinking about Desbiens for appendix carry.